What The Hell

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby TheRedQueen » February 12th, 2009, 10:12 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Damn, Matt! How scary! I can't believe the Kong punctured him. :shock: So much for soft rubber.

I remember years ago, working for a vet that removed a vinyl toy from a dog's stomach...it was almost brittle after being removed...guess the stomach acid had changed the toy from soft to hard. :| Scary stuff!

Glad Kayden is out of surgery and doing well... :)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby dogged » February 12th, 2009, 10:14 am

Freakin' scary! :o I'm glad the surgery went well, though. Heal quickly, K.
"Hey, I'm glad I found you. I need your approval to cut down some lollipop trees outside the sea monkey hut. These decisions have to go through you because you're the mayor of crazy town."
dogged
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby blabsforbullies » February 12th, 2009, 10:25 am

A lot of the time, it isn't the foreign body that causes the perforation. Something gets stuck, compromises the blood supply to the tissue, and makes the tissue weak. When the normal perastaltic constractions occur, the tissue tears.

In my experience, unless scar tissue causes a narrowing of the intestines at the site of the surgery, most dogs do very well once the critical period, usually 48-72 hours, is done. Sending my very best that this is the casefor your baby!
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby maberi » February 12th, 2009, 10:32 am

Would any of this lead to a reduction in white blood cells?

I was a bit nervous when the surgeon mentioned that. Not to mention it makes me a bit uneasy that his cell count is low and he is more susceptible to infections and other things floating around that place.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby blabsforbullies » February 12th, 2009, 10:50 am

Possibly. If the perforation was there long enough, he could have used up the blood cells fighting the infection. I'm sure they are repeating his CBC today. It also depends on which white blood cell is low. Each does a different job. Also, unless recent blood work has been done, he may naturally lie on the low end of normal for a count and this just pushed it on to the other side (insert my plug for doing routine blood work to have as a comparison ;). Not saying you didn't, just plugging good medicine).

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby mnp13 » February 12th, 2009, 11:00 am

Kayden will recover just fine.

Your wallet has a much more grim prognosis.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maberi » February 12th, 2009, 11:10 am

Thanks for all of the great info and good wishes. It is nice getting some light shed onto something you know very little about.

I could kick myself for not having any insurance on any of my dogs. I think with Earl's ACL repair, Yoda's tests and now this, I have easily gone in excess of 15 grand over the past 3 years.

The timing couldn't have been any better either. Heidi and I planned a trip to a local resort for next Thursday. We went there for one night for our "honeymoon" 7 yrs ago and haven't really been anywhere since then. We called and cancelled our reservations this morning. It looks like it may be another 7 yrs before we actually get there :doh:
maberi

Postby TinaMartin » February 12th, 2009, 11:15 am

Hows the pupper today?
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Jenn » February 12th, 2009, 12:05 pm

Sorry about your trip, and sorry about Kayden - best of thoughts for a speedy recovery!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby blabsforbullies » February 12th, 2009, 12:28 pm

I personally advocate pet insurance to everyone. Even myself! There have been many a time I have had things come up that I could not do myself like MRI's, etc. I like the company Pets Best. They seem to have less restrictions than most.

I hear ya on the vacation thing. We gave up ours this year to pay for a radioactive iodine treatment that will cure my kitty's thyroid condition. I'm sorry you guys had to go through all of this. :( It'll be worth it to have your best friend back and healthy, but I know exactly what you are saying.

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby madremissy » February 12th, 2009, 12:34 pm

Just saw this. I hope Kayden gets to feeling better very soon. Sorry about your trip.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby HappyPuppy » February 12th, 2009, 12:46 pm

What an ordeal! I saw the potential for blockages when Ruby barfed up a piece of bone WRAPPED in tennis ball (or other toy?) fuzz and I wondered how easily that could have been a larger wad... Scary! Sorry about your trip. Hope he continues to improve properly!!
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby CinderDee » February 12th, 2009, 2:48 pm

How scary. Sending lots of good thoughts to Kayden!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby maberi » February 12th, 2009, 2:55 pm

Really dumb question but the surgeon mentioned this morning that I could stop by to visit Kayden after 5 today.

I'm a bit nervous to visit him because he gets excited when he sees me and I don't want to put any undue stress on him but of course I would love to see him.

Do you think it is better to let him rest today and visit tomorrow?
maberi

Postby Marinepits » February 12th, 2009, 2:58 pm

Hey, Matt! I'm glad to hear that Kayden pulled through just fine. :hug3:

Dr Blabs removed a WHOLE (as in not damaged except for a small split in it) tennis ball from Mac's gut a few years ago and he bounced back fairly quickly. He didn't need any of his intestine removed, though.

After he came home, we just kept him crated and quiet for a couple of weeks then limited his jumping for a while. Then he was good-as-new. Of course, he is not allowed any toy that he can chew up and swallow anymore, and tennis balls are COMPLETELY off-limits now. :wink:

Let me know if you need anything.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » February 12th, 2009, 2:59 pm

maberi wrote:Really dumb question but the surgeon mentioned this morning that I could stop by to visit Kayden after 5 today.

I'm a bit nervous to visit him because he gets excited when he sees me and I don't want to put any undue stress on him but of course I would love to see him.

Do you think it is better to let him rest today and visit tomorrow?

He may be pretty doped-up so won't be moving around much anyway. Give them a call and ask if he's medicated.

We kept Mac pretty doped because he was acting like nothing was wrong. Damn bulldogs. :nono:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby blabsforbullies » February 12th, 2009, 3:06 pm

That's a tough question to answer. Some do better with visits from their families, and others don't. If he is kinda sedated, I'd go for it.

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby BigDogBuford » February 12th, 2009, 3:14 pm

When I worked for the vet we took an entire mens shoes out of a Mastiff's gut. :shock: It wasn't even chewed up, but pretty much still intact.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby maberi » February 12th, 2009, 3:17 pm

I just spoke with the surgeon

She said after she spoke with me this morning they did another blood panel and his white blood cell count and electrolytes were back to normal.

They were doing more blood work on him when I called so she will update me if there is anything out of the ordinary but she doesn't expect there to be.

She did say that he is pretty painful so they have him doped up pretty well and said it would probably be best for him to get some rest tonight so I could maybe try stopping by tomorrow depending on how he was doing.

Assuming he doesn't throw up at all today they are going to try giving him some food tomorrow.

PS - What size shoes did that guy wear?
maberi

Postby BigDogBuford » February 12th, 2009, 3:27 pm

maberi wrote:I just spoke with the surgeon

She said after she spoke with me this morning they did another blood panel and his white blood cell count and electrolytes were back to normal.

They were doing more blood work on him when I called so she will update me if there is anything out of the ordinary but she doesn't expect there to be.

She did say that he is pretty painful so they have him doped up pretty well and said it would probably be best for him to get some rest tonight so I could maybe try stopping by tomorrow depending on how he was doing.

Assuming he doesn't throw up at all today they are going to try giving him some food tomorrow.

PS - What size shoes did that guy wear?

It was a size 10 mens shoe.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health