What The Hell

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby maberi » February 12th, 2009, 1:56 am

Kayden is having emergency "exploratory" surgery tonight for a possible intestinal blockage.

He woke me up this morning (well yesterday morning now) acting like he needed to go out and when I took him out he vomited (I noticed chunks of his black kong in it). I feed him this morning and he vomited up his food shortly after (more Kong). I came home at lunch to check on him and his crate was filled with vomit (and more kong).

When I got home from the shelter I tried to feed him but he wouldn't eat anything (turkey, hot dogs, peanut butter, etc...). I checked his gums and they seemed a bit white and dry so I took him into the e-vet. They did x-rays and although they couldn't definitely tell what was going on in there they said there is something definitely wrong in there and they feel it is most likely a blockage.

As I was leaving they were calling in the surgeon on call to come in tonight for surgery.

Anyone ever deal with this before?
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby cheekymunkee » February 12th, 2009, 2:16 am

Holee crap Matt! I know several people whose dogs have had to have that surgery. None of MINE thank you. Whew I am glad my dogs arent chewers. Good thoughts coming his way!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby TheRedQueen » February 12th, 2009, 2:20 am

I've not had this problem *knock wood*...but I'm wishing you and Kayden the best of luck...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby BigDogBuford » February 12th, 2009, 2:23 am

I had a cat that had to have this surgery and we saw lots of dogs having it while I was working for the vets (mostly labs). The tricky time is usually the first 24 hours. Once they're through surgery and pooping again, you can start to relax.

On a similar note Doogie ate an entire Kong but I lucked out and he vomited/passed all the pieces. Poor Kayden! I'll be thinking good thoughts.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby maberi » February 12th, 2009, 2:25 am

Thanks guys

The knucklehead has shredded kongs a million times but he never ends up eating them. I'm not sure what got into him last night

The only thing that made me feel better as I let the emergency vet hearing him barking like an asshole at other dogs in the back even after coming out of the sedation.

I hate the thought of any of my dogs having surgery though. Scares the hell out of me
maberi

Postby TheRedQueen » February 12th, 2009, 2:27 am

:hug3: Good thoughts headed to NY...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby BigDogBuford » February 12th, 2009, 2:41 am

maberi wrote:Thanks guys

The knucklehead has shredded kongs a million times but he never ends up eating them. I'm not sure what got into him last night

The only thing that made me feel better as I let the emergency vet hearing him barking like an asshole at other dogs in the back even after coming out of the sedation.

I hate the thought of any of my dogs having surgery though. Scares the hell out of me

Yay for asshole barking! Wait, that didn't sound right.....
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Malli » February 12th, 2009, 4:17 am

I probably help nurse at least one foreign body/ foreign object patient (usually dogs) a week.

What do you want to know ? :)

I know its impossible not to worry, but Kayden is young and strong and otherwise healthy, I'm sure he'll do just fine ;)

And just so you don't feel singled out on this, Oscar has ejected numerous (5 +) foreign objects from his gut. (and this is super-duper cautious me)I'm so careful with what he can get access to and still it happens. :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby blabsforbullies » February 12th, 2009, 6:24 am

UUGGHH!!!! :x I am sorry to hear abut this! :sad2: I hope things go well. Usually they do! :wink: Sending good thoughts your way! 8)
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » February 12th, 2009, 6:42 am

My sister's springer had an intestinal blockage from eating a black Kong and it never showed up on the x-ray...what a mess...my fingers are crossed for Kayden
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby iluvk9 » February 12th, 2009, 7:07 am

Yikes! This is always my fear with Truman because he is a strong chewer and a Doofus.

GOOD LUCK, Kayden!!!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby maberi » February 12th, 2009, 7:55 am

Kayden is out of surgery and things went "well"

The surgeon said they found remnants of the block kong in his stomach and small intestine and also found what looked like a piece of a gardening glove stuck in the area where the stomach meets the small intestine (forgot the technical term). I noticed about 2 weeks ago that one of my gloves (not gardening) had the thumb chewed off by one of the dogs. Is it possible that thing has been in his stomach this long? :shock:

Anyway, one of the pieces of the kong pierced his small intestine so they had to remove a section of his intestines and reattach it. The surgeon said they flushed it with saline and there was no leakage but no matter how well the surgical technique is there is a 8-11% of a re-tear over the new few days. She also said his white blood cell count was unusually low but it could have been due to the foriegn body but she definitely wants to monitor that over the next few weeks.

They have him on morphine and are starting him on anti-biotics because of his low white blood cell count and will be keeping him for the next few days to monitor him. Of course his surgeon is getting ready to leave town today so they will be handing him over to the other resident surgeon and resident surgeon intern :shock:
maberi

Postby Pit♥bull » February 12th, 2009, 8:15 am

Shanna, Trouble, and I are sending lots of :goodthoughts: for Kayden :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » February 12th, 2009, 8:24 am

Holy mother!! :shock: I'm glad to hear that everything went well but JEEEZ guy, no more eating non-food items!

And yes, the glove could definitely still be in there. Someone on another board had a dog eat a plastic glove and then vomit it up months later.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Mickle » February 12th, 2009, 8:48 am

Sending loads of good thoughts from the Mickle gang....And holy hell thats scary! I hope all continues to go well.
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 12th, 2009, 8:58 am

Damn, Matt! How scary! I can't believe the Kong punctured him. :shock: So much for soft rubber.

I'll be thinking good thoughts for the little booger. Keep us updated.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Hoyden » February 12th, 2009, 8:59 am

Poor Kayden. Good thoughts coming your way.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby nicole » February 12th, 2009, 9:14 am

Oh no, poor Kayden!

I went thru something similar with Dante when i first adopted him...scary stuff. Actually, I thought he was bloating and the e-vet thought possible obstruction...turned out to be kibble that clumped up in the part of his stomach that meets his intestines. A night on IV helped break it up and it passed...but we prepped for possible surgery and I was told that there could be intestinal damage with obstruction b/c the tissue dies...so i know how worried you must have been :sad2:

I'm so sorry that he needed the surgery, but I'm glad you took him to the vet right away. A preforated intestine is no joke. Feel better Kayden
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby maberi » February 12th, 2009, 9:49 am

One thing I forgot to ask the surgeon was if something like this will have any long lasting affects assuming he recovers.

I believe she said they had to remove 5 cm of his intestine but I was so delirious this morning I can't remember.
maberi

Postby LMM » February 12th, 2009, 10:11 am

Oh no! Kayden dammit :x you are not supposed to scare everyone like this!!!

Sending lots of healing vibes Kayden's way!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health