Seppel is at the vet...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Malli » February 10th, 2009, 5:25 pm

its light sensitive so can't be compounded ;) We already wen't down this road a page back ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » February 10th, 2009, 5:28 pm

Malli wrote:its light sensitive so can't be compounded ;) We already wen't down this road a page back ;)

Jeanine didn't know that... :neener:
:wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Marinepits » February 10th, 2009, 5:31 pm

I'm wondering if it can be kept in a light-blocking bottle, like hydrogen peroxide. BUT, since it's cost-prohibitive like Blabs said, then it's probably not worth the trouble.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Moe » February 10th, 2009, 5:53 pm

I just read this whole thread, I am VERY happy what ever is going on with Mr. Sepp is not life threatening..Geesh...I would switch vets if they ever lectured me about feeding..good lord thats nuts!

Sending good vibes Christine...The Misfits are sending their slobbery kisses too!
You laugh because I'm different...........
I laugh cause I just farted!
Moe
The Dog Whisperererer

Postby AllAmericanPUP » February 10th, 2009, 6:11 pm

I'm sorry to hear about seppel. Hope you get it all figured out.

ozzy wouldnt touch that A/D food either when he was hurt...i still have 4 cans lying around here somewhere
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby blabsforbullies » February 10th, 2009, 7:53 pm

amazincc wrote:Dr. Blabs... have you ever been to Florida??? It's a NICE place to VISIT... (you just wouldn't want to LIVE here). :D :mrgreen:

I sure wish I could help you out! :sad2: I hate to see my friends, both furry and human, go through stuff like this! :hug3: Why don't you fly me down in your private jet? :wink: Then I will be back in time for Tuesday, and it's all set! :purpleBanana:

If you are not seeing a response by tomorrow, I would probably start him on steroids if her were my patient. :prescription: He has been on the AB's long enough that the steroids shouldn't make an existing infection worse. In my opinion, he needs an anti-inflammatory, and although the tramadol is a great pain reliever, it is not an anti-inflammatory drug. :twocents:

And not to be argumentative, but Clavamox most certainly DOES come in a liquid, but you'd be paying at least $35/day for the cost of the medication (it is 62.5mg per mL, so I am guessing for a big guy around 65 lbs, his does would be 375 mg twice a day)if it were dispensed at my hospital (Clavamox is not cheap in any form!!! :neutral: ). So he would be getting something like 6 mL's per dosing, or 12 mL's a day. Each bottle has 14 mL's, so you can see how that would be somewhat cost prohibitive. :jawdrop: I have had my clients crush it and syringe feed it in something. I have never had a compounding pharmacy try to formulate a strong version of liquid for the bigger patients, but again, because of the nature of the drug, it might not be stable for long in that form. Plus, it might be very $$$, but I can't say for sure. :dollar:

As for the arguing with clients, I can say that no matter the subject, it is one thing to express your opinion on a subject, and make a recommendation based on your knowledge base. I have many clients that I have agreed to disagree with, and to argue is pointless. They know how I feel and vice versa. I think some doctors feel threatened and defensive if their recommendations are not taken as gospel. >( Or they feel they are educating their clients, and don't realize that they are, in fact, making them angry. :oops: Just like when I had a client that bought their cat in, and the owner kept telling me that tobasco sauce (not comparing raw feeding to this ridiculous example, just making a point here :wink3: ) will keep the cat from getting cancer. I tried to talk to them as politely and calmly as possible. It didn't matter what I had said, they were almost to the point of screaming at me. :cuss: That's when I ended it as, "You came to me for my knowledge and my professional opinion. I have given you both, and we are obviously not going to change each other's minds. We are going to have to agree to disagree, before either of us walks away angry. As long as you know how I feel, and that I don't agree with you, what you do is your choice and you are the one that makes the decisions for your cat. We have the same goals here, and we both want what is best for your cat. We need to work together, even if there are points that we don't agree opn 100%". The client agreed, and we had a very nice working relationship for many years. That is, until the cat died of.... cancer. :rolleyes2: I am not defending your vet's actions, rather the opposite. :bs: I am sorry that you had to deal with that on top of the stress of everything else. We all have our opinions. It takes a wise person to see that pushing your opinion onto someone doesn't make it right!

:topic: So, now that I have rambled on long enough, I will be thinking of you and your baby, and I am really pulling for some positive response! Please let me know if you need anything! :groupHug:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby amazincc » February 10th, 2009, 8:26 pm

I bought sliced liver wurst.

Made 7 "balls".

First one... just liver wurst, since the little bogger is very suspicious now.
He sniffed and chewed it VERY thoroughly. :rolleyes2:

Second ball... quarter of a pill. Gulped it.
Repeat five times.

Last ball... it dawned on him that I may be tricking his butt.
Sniffed and chewed very thoroughly. Didn't find anything but liver wurst in that one. lol

I think he may live after all. :dance:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby amazincc » February 10th, 2009, 8:32 pm

blabsforbullies wrote:
If you are not seeing a response by tomorrow, I would probably start him on steroids if he were my patient. :prescription: He has been on the AB's long enough that the steroids shouldn't make an existing infection worse. In my opinion, he needs an anti-inflammatory, and although the tramadol is a great pain reliever, it is not an anti-inflammatory drug. :twocents:

And not to be argumentative, but Clavamox most certainly DOES come in a liquid, but you'd be paying at least $35/day for the cost of the medication (it is 62.5mg per mL, so I am guessing for a big guy around 65 lbs, his does would be 375 mg twice a day)if it were dispensed at my hospital (Clavamox is not cheap in any form!!! :neutral: ). So he would be getting something like 6 mL's per dosing, or 12 mL's a day. Each bottle has 14 mL's, so you can see how that would be somewhat cost prohibitive. :jawdrop: I have had my clients crush it and syringe feed it in something. I have never had a compounding pharmacy try to formulate a strong version of liquid for the bigger patients, but again, because of the nature of the drug, it might not be stable for long in that form. Plus, it might be very $$$, but I can't say for sure. :dollar:

First off - that poor cat... :shock:

Second - yes, his dose is 375 mg twice a day.
I would gladly pay for the liquid form, BUT - I think I found a way to get the pills into him. (See above post!). :D :mrgreen:

Third - I will definitely talk to the vet tomorrow about the steroids/anti-inflammatory meds.

Fourth - THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your input! :hug3: :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BigDogBuford » February 10th, 2009, 8:45 pm

Malli wrote:its light sensitive so can't be compounded ;) We already wen't down this road a page back ;)

Hmmm....Ballard Plaza Pharmacy has compounded it for us before. Weird. And yes, it was expensive but worth it. :|
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Marinepits » February 10th, 2009, 9:01 pm

amazincc wrote:I bought sliced liver wurst.

Made 7 "balls".

First one... just liver wurst, since the little bogger is very suspicious now.
He sniffed and chewed it VERY thoroughly. :rolleyes2:

Second ball... quarter of a pill. Gulped it.
Repeat five times.

Last ball... it dawned on him that I may be tricking his butt.
Sniffed and chewed very thoroughly. Didn't find anything but liver wurst in that one. lol

I think he may live after all. :dance:

So he's chewing? That's a GREAT sign! :clap:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby amazincc » February 10th, 2009, 9:24 pm

Marinepits wrote:So he's chewing? That's a GREAT sign! :clap:

Yes!!! Very carefully, and w/his mouth only slightly open... but I'll take it. :thumbsup:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Marinepits » February 10th, 2009, 9:28 pm

:woowoo:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby LMM » February 10th, 2009, 9:43 pm

Yay Seppel!!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby nicole » February 10th, 2009, 9:55 pm

phew...this was a nail biter of a thread to get thru. I'm relieved to read that things seem to be improving for Seppel...I'm hoping that he continues to improve with treatment and he never gets another flare up! Feel better Seppel...and Christine!
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » February 10th, 2009, 11:12 pm

WOOHOO for chewing!!!! Give him a BIG hug for me please!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Malli » February 11th, 2009, 6:06 am

BigDogBuford wrote:

Hmmm....Ballard Plaza Pharmacy has compounded it for us before. Weird. And yes, it was expensive but worth it. :|

hmm, I got nothin' :| I don't normally deal with dispensing meds or putting Rx's together so I've obviously missed something in the mix somewhere :rolleyes2:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ellie@ny » February 11th, 2009, 10:10 am

I'm glad to hear he's doing a little better,give him a kiss on the nose from me!!!
And yes,liver wurst IS a great way to give a pill to a finecky dog...Nico could tell you that... :rolleyes2:
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby amazincc » February 11th, 2009, 11:01 am

He seems better this morning. :confetti: :bounce:

I had to order dog food, and I asked our dog food guy about pre-made RAW. He brought over a whole bag of Primal to see if Seppel will like it. And refused to charge me for it. :shock: :)

I "hid" the Clavamox and half a Tramadol in there and we had no problems! :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » February 11th, 2009, 11:43 am

Yea for good updates!

I'm hoping that it is an acute case, and he'll be back to normal in no time... 8)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby maberi » February 11th, 2009, 11:48 am

I'm so glad to hear that Seppel is doing a bit better. I was (like everyone else) devestated to hear the results of his exam.

Sending good thoughts your way and hoping things continue to get better for the little guy.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health