28 Puppies siezed at US-Mexico border

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Maryellen » April 13th, 2006, 8:32 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12297277/

SAN DIEGO - More than a dozen puppies were seized from a motorist who tried to smuggle them into the United States from Mexico in his minivan, authorities said.

Many of the 28 puppies were infested with parasites, dehydrated and too weak to stand, said Dawn Danielson, director of the San Diego County Department of Animal Services.

“It’s going to be touch-and-go for a lot of these puppies,” Danielson said.

They were seized after a Customs and Border Protection officer noticed a paw reach out from under the front seat Tuesday evening at San Diego’s Otay Mesa border crossing, authorities said.

The driver, who was only identified as a U.S. citizen, was charged with 28 misdemeanor counts of animal cruelty and cited for failure to declare a shipment, Danielson said.

The puppies, ages 3 to 6 weeks, included Chihuahuas, boxers, cocker spaniels and poodle mixes. After two weeks of monitoring, they will be placed in shelters for adoption.

It is legal to cross the border with dogs if they are declared at Customs and they have rabies shots and health records, but many are smuggled.

Puppies are often purchased in Mexico for between $50 and $150, then sold at street corners, parking lots and flea markets in Southern California for between $300 and $1,000 each, according to the Border Puppy Task Force.

The force formed in 2004 after a rash of complaints from owners who reported their dogs were turning sick and often dying.

Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jesseca » April 18th, 2006, 2:30 pm

That's sick :(
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » April 19th, 2006, 12:20 pm

Gee, you buy a puppy on a street corner, parking lot or flea market and you're surprized it got sick and/or died? People. :?
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby luvmyangels » April 19th, 2006, 5:50 pm

What a shame.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here