OFA Fair mated with OFA Excellent?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby TheRedQueen » February 9th, 2009, 12:31 pm

We have an offer of a puppy (for service work) from a breeding where the dam has OFA Fair hips, and will be bred to an OFA Excellent dog. The breeding has not happened yet.

The dam's parents were Good and Fair, and the grandparents were all Good. The other health tests came back fine (thyroid, patellas, eyes, heart, elbows, etc). The dam is also a breed champion, and is working on her CD title. The "breeder" will be doing one breeding only...but wants to donate a pup to us.

What are the chances for good hips from a pup from a breeding such as this? :? Do we pass, or take her up on the offer? :|

My initial thought is to pass, but I'm not that good with breeding stuff. ;) We've not had good luck lately with labs and hips.

All thoughts welcome!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby katiek0417 » February 9th, 2009, 12:45 pm

Just because a dog has fair hips, doesn't mean that she will pass that on...

You can breed 2 OFA Goods, and get poor hips...you can breed 2 Poors and get a Good...you can breed a poor to an excellent and get a fair...and so on...

How old is the dam? How old was she when she was tested? What breed? (I'm assuming lab)
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 9th, 2009, 12:50 pm

If OFA ratings aren't a predictor of their progeny's hips, why do it?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » February 9th, 2009, 12:59 pm

You have to look at more than just the parents to get an idea of what you'll get. Siblings are probably the best tool, as well as parents and grandparents. Hips can be affected by early injuries, x-rays can be greatly affected by the expertise of the vet - in a postive or negative manner - and many other factors.

Fair + Execllent would end up good on paper. :|
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » February 9th, 2009, 2:03 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:If OFA ratings aren't a predictor of their progeny's hips, why do it?

Because it has become a standard...personally, I prefer PennHip...but I've said that...hips can look bad on x-ray for a variety of reasons (injury, old age, etc)...but that does not mean they are GENETICALLY dysplastic...because PennHip is done early on, it gives a correlation of how likely the dog is to be dysplastic when it gets older...(genetically dysplastic, that is).

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby TheRedQueen » February 9th, 2009, 2:39 pm

We PennHip all of our SD/HD pups...so I'm getting more used to those scores and haven't seen OFA much lately!

The dog is indeed a lab, and is 2 1/2 years old...OFA'd at 20 months.

So, should I go ahead and accept a pup? :|
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby katiek0417 » February 9th, 2009, 2:45 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:We PennHip all of our SD/HD pups...so I'm getting more used to those scores and haven't seen OFA much lately!

OFA isn't accurate until 24 months...the dog shouldn't have been OFA'd at that age...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby TheRedQueen » February 9th, 2009, 2:53 pm

katiek0417 wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:We PennHip all of our SD/HD pups...so I'm getting more used to those scores and haven't seen OFA much lately!

OFA isn't accurate until 24 months...the dog shouldn't have been OFA'd at that age...

Sorry, typing too fast...preliminary at 20 months were good...27 months came back OFA'd fair

TheRedQueen

Postby pocketpit » February 9th, 2009, 6:45 pm

I never understood the ratings OFA gives. Either you are dysplastic or you're not. It's not the same panel of vets judging films all the time so things are very subjective. I don't put a lot of faith in their ratings. Don't get me wrong, I think their criteria for pass/fail is good but "fair, good and excellent" have not been consistent ratings in my experience.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » February 9th, 2009, 7:48 pm

pocketpit wrote:I never understood the ratings OFA gives. Either you are dysplastic or you're not. It's not the same panel of vets judging films all the time so things are very subjective. I don't put a lot of faith in their ratings. Don't get me wrong, I think their criteria for pass/fail is good but "fair, good and excellent" have not been consistent ratings in my experience.

Agreed...I've had my vet tell me that he thought hips looked great, and they came back as fair...

It's not an exact science...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Hoyden » February 10th, 2009, 8:39 am

Hmmm. I really need to read more on this and understand this.

I have to start thinking about training a replacement for Birdie in a year or so and this time, we're getting a puppy so I can raise him. Good hips are important as my dog has to bear my weight when I get up and down.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby katiek0417 » February 10th, 2009, 8:31 pm

Hoyden wrote:Hmmm. I really need to read more on this and understand this.

I have to start thinking about training a replacement for Birdie in a year or so and this time, we're getting a puppy so I can raise him. Good hips are important as my dog has to bear my weight when I get up and down.

Many police departments and gov't agencies are now looking to PennHip for their standard measurement...

At least for me, I am starting to have all my breeding dogs checked with PennHip...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Leslie H » February 10th, 2009, 9:49 pm

I would chance it, myself, especially w/the background of the female's parents, grandparents. One thing I like about OFA is you can search the database, if you know even part of the dog's registered name. That allows you to check sire, dam, sibs and half sibs.

I'm OK w/OFA. In a perfect world (IMO) everyone would do both Pennhip and OFA, as a young dog (like 6 months) and again at or after age 2.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby katiek0417 » February 11th, 2009, 3:00 pm

Leslie H wrote:I would chance it, myself, especially w/the background of the female's parents, grandparents. One thing I like about OFA is you can search the database, if you know even part of the dog's registered name. That allows you to check sire, dam, sibs and half sibs.

I'm OK w/OFA. In a perfect world (IMO) everyone would do both Pennhip and OFA, as a young dog (like 6 months) and again at or after age 2.

Agreed!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder