Shredded Pads

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Malli » February 7th, 2009, 3:10 pm

once to twice/day or when they bandages are wet. Remember, btw, with vet wrap, that it has a tendancy to tighten up, so use tape to secure the top of the bandage instead of tightening the vet wrap ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby SisMorphine » February 7th, 2009, 3:48 pm

You can ask your vet if they have Nolvasaan (sp??) solution that they can give you. It's a blue wash that is very gentle. Not every vets office has it, mine doesn't (*pout*), but I really like it for washing open wounds.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Marinepits » February 7th, 2009, 3:56 pm

Novalsan is good stuff. It's also sold under the name chlorhexidine (that's the generic) which you can find at some feed stores. Looks just like Windex.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby maberi » February 7th, 2009, 3:58 pm

Band-Aid Hurt Free Antiseptic Wash

Benzalkonium chloride, lidocaine hydrochloride, aloe barbadensis gel, disodium EDTA, polxamer 188, sodium chloride, sodium citrate and water

Whatever the hell that is

Marinepits wrote:I would definitely change the wraps any time they get damp or wet, but probably once a day otherwise. I don't usually use wraps, so that's a semi-educated guess, LOL. And probably use them until the pads show significant signs of healing well.

What was in the "no hurt" solution?
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby mnp13 » February 7th, 2009, 5:17 pm

warm salt water will help as well. When Riggs tears up his pads I soak a towel in it and then wrap his feet up for 10 or 15 minutes.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maberi » February 7th, 2009, 5:38 pm

Won't the salt water hurt like hell?
maberi

Postby Marinepits » February 7th, 2009, 5:44 pm

On open wounds, yeah, it'll sting.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » February 7th, 2009, 5:52 pm

I have used it on my dog bites, and it didn't hurt. People also use it on piercings. It actually doesn't hurt if it's not over salted. That's all "saline solution" is - lightly salted water. If Riggs let me use it on his torn pads, I can promise you that it doesn't sting. As described to me "it shouldn't be saltier than a potato chip"
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » February 7th, 2009, 6:36 pm

Matt, whatever you decide to use, please make sure Kayden's paws are 110% dry before you wrap them. Wrapped damp feet are a breeding ground for yeast and bacterial infections.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SisMorphine » February 7th, 2009, 8:48 pm

mnp13 wrote:I have used it on my dog bites, and it didn't hurt. People also use it on piercings. It actually doesn't hurt if it's not over salted. That's all "saline solution" is - lightly salted water. If Riggs let me use it on his torn pads, I can promise you that it doesn't sting. As described to me "it shouldn't be saltier than a potato chip"

Yeah I used warm sea salt water on all of my piercings and it was actually soothing. I think the funniest was when I got my nipples pierced and would lie on my bed in my dorm room with dixie cups filled with salt water on my nips while my roommate did the same with her bellybutton. We were quite the pair!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby Malli » February 7th, 2009, 9:45 pm

after the first day or so, its better to just leave the wound alone and keep it dry, if possible. :|

You shouldn't have to clean it with anything(unless the wound is infected, and even then, less is better) after the first or second bandage change, just keep it dry and change the bandage itself.

After initial clean up, more is less with wound care :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby maberi » February 9th, 2009, 12:27 pm

Kayden has been pretty painful so I gave him one of Yoda's Tramadol pills this morning so he would sleep better today. Then I came downstairs and noticed Heidi giving him some sort of pill on top of a glob of peanut butter and I screamed what the hell is that while Kayden was eating it (Tramadol of course). :doh:

Called the e-vet and with his weight and the dosage and they said he would be fine

Then went outside and tried to grab the bag of sh!t that was in a bucket from cleaning the yard yesterday. The bag was stuck so I shook it a little and the bucket fell to the ground and the liquid sh!t on the bottom of the bucket splattered all over me.

What a wonderful start to the week
maberi

Postby SisMorphine » February 9th, 2009, 1:14 pm

Tasty.
SisMorphine

Postby Marinepits » February 9th, 2009, 3:13 pm

I don't mean to laugh, but LMAO

That sucks.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » February 9th, 2009, 3:27 pm

awesome. I can honestly say I've felt your pain.

If he's that uncomfortable he must have shredded them pretty bad! If you can get any material thats like "cast padding"(kind of like a big thing of cotton ball material) and put that on the bottum of the bandages, it might feel a little bit better for him.
E-I-E-I-O!

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health