Records: Octuplets' Mom Received $165G in Disability Payment

Postby Marinepits » February 5th, 2009, 10:15 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,488627,00.html

Thursday, February 05, 2009

LOS ANGELES — State documents disclosed to The Associated Press show that Nadya Suleman, the mother of the recently-delivered octuplets, received more than $165,000 in disability payments for an on-the-job back injury.

She worked at a state mental hospital from 1997 until December when she resigned. The payments were made between 2002 and 2008, during which time Suleman gave birth to most of her six other children.

The documents, provided to the AP on Thursday following a public records request to the Department of Mental Health, also show that Suleman had three miscarriages before she first became a mother.

Reporters from all over the map have camped outside her doorstep and surrounded the hospital where she gave birth to the eight healthy babies last week, but people still don't know much about Suleman. That's about to change.

After managing to avoid reporters as she left the hospital Thursday morning, Suleman headed for her first interview, with Ann Curry of NBC's "Today" show. One of the octuplets mother's hastily hired publicists said she is staying at "an undisclosed location" while she considers offers including possible book and TV deals.

Suleman told NBC she wanted a huge family to make up for the isolation she said she always felt as an only child.

In a brief excerpt of the interview released Thursday, the 33-year-old single mother said she had a dysfunctional childhood and sought to erase that with the closeness children could bring. The full interview will air Monday.

NBC News spokeswoman Megan Kopf said Suleman was not paid for the interview.

Not even a photo of Suleman has emerged and public records shed little light on her. The 33-year-old single mother, who now has 14 children under the age of 8, has used different names over the years and has been married and divorced once.

Neighbors say that while Suleman is quick to smile and wave to them, she generally keeps to herself.
"She's a very pretty woman and, yes, she's very friendly when I see her," said Thelma Steinweg, who said Suleman moved next door on the quiet, narrow cul de sac about three years ago.

"But I usually only see her going in or out of her house or on the steps, shouting at the kids when they're playing in the yard," Steinweg added.

As she spoke she glanced at Suleman's small front yard, littered with children's toys. A child's car seat sat propped up near the front door. From the front porch, Suleman's mother could be heard inside, singing to a crying child.

While Suleman, whose 14 children were conceived by in vitro fertilization, declined to speak publicly for days, she has come under criticism from TV and radio commentators, bloggers and others who have accused her of irresponsibly having more children than she appears prepared to care for. Some have accused her of having the octuplets in an effort to cash in with a TV or book deal.

Although her publicists acknowledge she is reviewing such offers, one of her friends said she simply loves children and didn't get pregnant for profit.

"She's not even interested in that right now," said Jessica Zepeda, who lives down the street. "It's funny and sad in a way, there's a lot of people saying really negative things and they don't know her."

Suleman's mother said she expects people's opinions to change when her daughter goes public with her story.

"She's a very likable person," said Angela Suleman, who spoke briefly with a reporter on her doorstep Wednesday. "She's basically normal except for this obsession she's always had with children."

Nadya Suleman, who public records show has held a license as a mental health technician, was listed on the payroll of Metropolitan State Hospital in Norwalk from 1997 until last year.

Her mother said her daughter hasn't worked since soon after becoming pregnant with her octuplets. She has also had to discontinue her pursuit of a master's degree at California State University, Fullerton, where she earned a bachelor's degree in child care development.

"She may not be able to finish her master's degree now and she was so close to wrapping it up," her mother said Wednesday.

Nadya Suleman's publicist Mike Furtney said she has told him it's her dream to eventually earn a Ph.D. in some field involving counseling.

Furtney said Suleman is "feeling great" and looking forward to being reunited with her octuplets, who are expected to remain in the hospital for several more weeks.

"She's happy to be out of the hospital, although she misses her children," he said. "She can't wait until they join her."

The octuplets were born nine weeks prematurely and will be released from the hospital individually as they hit a near-normal newborn weight.

"At this point in their development, they are not mature enough to coordinate the suckling and swallowing at the same time to be bottle-fed," said Dr. Mandhir Gupta, the hospital's neonatologist.

According to Steinweg, Suleman initially thought only six of the eight embryos she had implanted in her womb last year had survived. She learned later in her pregnancy that seven had. She was surprised again on the day she gave birth to learn there were actually eight. Born Jan. 26, the children are now the longest known surviving octuplets in history.

It still isn't clear who their father is, or who fathered Suleman's other six children, who range in age from 2 to 7.

Suleman listed a David Solomon as the father on the birth certificates for her first four children but gave a different birthday for him on each certificate and listed both Israel and California as his place of birth. He could not be located for comment.

She listed no father on the birth certificates for her fifth and sixth children, twins born in 2006.

Suleman herself has been known by different names over the years, including Natalie Suleman, Natalie Gutierrez, Nadya Gutierrez and Nadya Doud.

Suleman was married to Marcos Gutierrez in 1996 and was divorced last year, according to public records. Gutierrez did not return calls to numbers listed for him, and his divorce lawyer, Roberto Gil, declined to comment.

Divorce papers state the couple split up in 2000 and had no children, although Suleman had given birth to her first six children by the time the divorce was finalized.

Public records show Suleman's father has used the last names Doud and Suleman. Her parents married in Las Vegas in 1974 and divorced in 1999. Suleman was their only child
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TheRedQueen » February 5th, 2009, 11:35 pm

That's not much money over 6 years...

This story has completely got my attention... :|
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Jenn » February 6th, 2009, 12:44 am

"She's not even interested in that right now," said Jessica Zepeda, who lives down the street. "It's funny and sad in a way, there's a lot of people saying really negative things and they don't know her."

BULL crap!! If that was true she would have been on tv the first morning, or already spoken to reporters, etc. I think she is disgusting all the way around...
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby iluvk9 » February 6th, 2009, 7:17 am

Back injury? Sorry, not buying that one.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby dogged » February 6th, 2009, 8:45 am

iluvk9 wrote:Back injury? Sorry, not buying that one.

Ditto.
"Hey, I'm glad I found you. I need your approval to cut down some lollipop trees outside the sea monkey hut. These decisions have to go through you because you're the mayor of crazy town."
dogged
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby lellis34 » February 6th, 2009, 9:58 am

Worked in a mental hospital? Or a patient in a mental hospital???
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby mnp13 » February 6th, 2009, 1:41 pm

I'd love to know how someone with a back injury so bad that she can't work can manage to have 5 pregnancies? If you can't work, how do you hold up to carrying the weight while pregnant and then deal with the baby afterwards?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby KJS » February 7th, 2009, 10:19 am

My back has never been bad...but I did have terrible back pains in one of my labours...that was awful...cant imagine being pregnant with an existing back problem at all :shock:
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Return to All the news that's fit to print