Octuplets mom gets TV, book offers to tell story

Postby BigDogBuford » February 3rd, 2009, 12:42 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090203/ap_ ... /octuplets

LOS ANGELES – The mother of the world's longest-living octuplets is being deluged with offers for book deals, TV shows and other business proposals, but has not decided what she might do other than care for her children, her newly hired spokeswoman said Monday.

Hundreds of requests have been made since Nadya Suleman gave birth to six boys and two girls a week ago, said Joann Killeen, president of Killeen Furtney Group, a public relations company.

"She's the most sought after mom in the world right now," Killeen said. "Everyone wants to talk to her."

But Suleman, who remained hospitalized with her children Monday at Kaiser Permanente's Bellflower Medical Center, hasn't decided what she'll do next, Killeen said.

Some of the deals and requests for interviews involve offers to pay, said Killeen and her partner, Mike Furtney. They didn't reveal the amounts being offered, but Killeen noted that raising eight babies will be expensive, adding that Suleman plans to carefully review her financial opportunities.

"Right now her top priority is to be the best mom she can be to all her children," she said. "She's hired us to manage all of those opportunities."

The spokeswoman discounted some published reports that Suleman had already decided to host a television show on parenting. But she added that Suleman does want to eventually tell her story to the world.

"As soon as she's able, she will tell her story, and it's an amazing story," she said.

Suleman, a 33-year-old single mother, already had six children, ages 2 to 7 when she gave birth to her octuplets on Jan. 26.

Her babies continue to grow stronger, the hospital said in a statement Monday. It wasn't immediately known when the octuplets or their mother would be released from the hospital. At the time of the births, doctors said the babies would stay about two months.

"This has been a very good week for the babies. It is always satisfying to be able to see a baby that was born premature continue to get stronger every day," said Dr. Mandhir Gupta, a neonatologist at the hospital.

In seven other documented octuplet births, at least one of the babies died within a week. The world's first live octuplets, born in 1967 in Mexico City, all died within 14 hours.

The first set of U.S. octuplets was born to Nkem Chukwu of Texas on Dec. 20, 1998. A week later, the tiniest infant died of heart and lung failure. The surviving seven siblings celebrated their 10th birthday in December.

Suleman retained the Killeen Furtney Group to represent her last Friday. Furtney said the company, which normally handles corporate clients and crisis public relations, was referred to her by the hospital. Its clients include the Union Pacific Railroad and the California State Parks Department.

Suleman's mother told The Associated Press last week that her daughter has always loved children and had wanted to be a mother since her teens.

Suleman had all 14 of her children through in vitro fertilization, according to her mother, Angela Suleman, who is caring for the other six while her daughter is hospitalized.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Marinepits » February 3rd, 2009, 12:45 pm

I want to throttle her.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BigDogBuford » February 3rd, 2009, 1:00 pm

Marinepits wrote:I want to throttle her.

You and me both. What a travesty.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Moe » February 3rd, 2009, 1:23 pm

I knew it was a publicity stunt..The first time I heard about this Christineisapainintheass (thank you LMM, I love that)....

So I am apart of the "I want to throttle her too club"
You laugh because I'm different...........
I laugh cause I just farted!
Moe
The Dog Whisperererer

Postby amazincc » February 3rd, 2009, 6:17 pm

BigDogBuford wrote: They didn't reveal the amounts being offered, but Killeen noted that raising eight babies will be expensive, adding that Suleman plans to carefully review her financial opportunities.

"Right now her top priority is to be the best mom she can be to all her children," she said. "She's hired us to manage all of those opportunities."

Opportunities... exactly. :rolleyes2: :puke:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby cheekymunkee » February 3rd, 2009, 6:35 pm

No smurfing way :nono:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Patch O' Pits » February 3rd, 2009, 6:38 pm

I feel sorry for those kids
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby madremissy » February 4th, 2009, 10:03 am

Well at least some people are thinking straight!. I feel so sorry for the kids. :( It is expensive enought to raise one child. I hate to say it but I have a feeling these kids are not going to be cared for properly. She is counting on money to help, but you can have all the money in the world and it still doesn't make it any easier to give 8 newborns and 6 other very young children the time and attention that they will need.

http://www.wsbtv.com./health/18635400/detail.html

Octuplets Mom Not Getting Freebies So Far
Parents Of Previous Octuplets Got House, Diapers
Tuesday, February 3, 2009 – updated: 6:59 am EST February 4, 2009

LOS ANGELES -- Where's the unlimited supply of diapers, formula and baby wipes?

Mom Seeking Fame? | Publicist Speaks Out

Companies are not rushing freebies to the mother of the California octuplets. It's possibly because public opinion seems to be turning against her.

The news that Nadya Suleman is a single mother with six other children and that all 14 were conceived by having embryos implanted has not gone over well with much of the public.

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, for a single mother, the cost of raising 14 children through age 17 ranges from $1.3 million to $2.7 million through age 17.

The woman is being slammed by talks shows, fertility experts and even her on mother. It seems grandma has her hands full taking care of Suleman's other kids, ages 2 to 7.

The parents of the McCaughey septuplets -- seven babies born in Iowa in 1997 -- received a donated 16-room house, a 15-passenger van, baby food from Gerber, and a lifetime supply of Pampers from Procter & Gamble.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Jenn » February 4th, 2009, 5:39 pm

GOOD!! NO ONE NEEDS TO GIVE HER ANYTHING! I know that won't happen, but I dang sure hope it does!!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Pit♥bull » February 4th, 2009, 6:04 pm

My feelings are:
The gene pool should have had a larger dose of chlorine one generation back..... :crazy2:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby demolitionic » February 5th, 2009, 3:01 am

What a giant twat.
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby KJS » February 5th, 2009, 8:50 am

To be honest...but awful...I dont want anyone to "give" her anything either...I should rather have her sign those babies over to 8 seperate families who are desperate to adopt and let her get back to looking after the large amount of children she already has...one of those poor boys is autistic as well...

lady he needs his mommy back....GET HOME NOW! :x
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby PackLeader1 » February 5th, 2009, 12:32 pm

Pit$Bull wrote:My feelings are:
The gene pool should have had a larger dose of chlorine one generation back..... :crazy2:

Wow!! And here I thought it was a minority myself included that felt this way. I kept listening for info on "Dad" and how they couldn't have children etc. Imagine my surprise to find out not only is she not married but she lives with her parents!! What??? What single person can afford fertility treatments I ask you? And you know what if she can afford them herself (no insurance help please) then by god she can afford to raise them!! I hope she gets NUTHIN!! cause there are far more deserving people in this world and all she is looking for is the "easy way out!!". :puke: I really have a strong dislike for people like this.
PackLeader1
Just Whelped

Postby lellis34 » February 5th, 2009, 12:55 pm

BS!! >( If she wants to be the best mom she can be, she wouldn't have had 8 more on top of the 6 she already had. This was totally either a mental illness issue or a money grubbing scheme. I'm sure in a couple of years we'll be hearing about social services needing to step in.
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby Favorite Kitty » February 5th, 2009, 2:55 pm

I know its been said that she was being paid to hae these babies implanted. Was it some kind of experimental thing? Why would she get paid to have babies when they have been using invitro for years?
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Return to All the news that's fit to print