Feeding time

Postby mnp13 » February 1st, 2009, 7:57 pm

Do you feed your dogs at the same time every day?

I generally feed them around 7:30, so at about 6:30 they start being annoying pain in the ass.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby hugapitbull » February 1st, 2009, 8:10 pm

I had always left food out for Trouble to free feed, but after she got sick I needed to seriously cut back on the food so we could get some tonnage off her. She eats twice a day, I feed her before I leave for work 5ish and after I get home 5ish. She doesn't always get up for her breakfast, but she always lets me know when it's 5PM. :mrgreen:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby TheRedQueen » February 1st, 2009, 8:14 pm

They eat in the evening, but not always at the same time. After a while, they will start getting annoying (Sawyer will jump on Rip, because Rip's the one that demands dinner and gets it)...usually they'll do this if it's after 9pm, and it's not a training night.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » February 1st, 2009, 8:22 pm

They get really annoying about an hour before, and it drives Demo nuts.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby blabsforbullies » February 1st, 2009, 8:22 pm

mnp13 wrote:Do you feed your dogs at the same time every day?

I generally feed them around 7:30, so at about 6:30 they start being annoying pain in the ass.

Uh...yeah... all 8 at the same time get really, really annoying. >( Because of that, they eat at the same time every day. :wink:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 1st, 2009, 8:25 pm

The girls get breakfast as soon as I wake up - on work days that's about 5:45, on the weekends between 7:30 and 8. They eat dinner between 7:30 and 8:30. And yes, Inara starts doing the guilt trip, "mom you're starving me" look at about 6:30.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » February 1st, 2009, 8:33 pm

8??? Are you insane??????

I never give in before 7:30, and usually the more annoying they are the longer I make them wait... I like them being on a schedule, but at the same time, I don't like them having hissy fits if I don't do exactly what they want exactly when they want it.

Then again, the longer I make them wait, the more annoyed Ruby gets and the more she chases Riggs around the house humping him which is really really funny.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby madremissy » February 1st, 2009, 8:52 pm

They eat between 5-5:30. Sammy is the alarm, and he starts his tip toe dance around 4:45 :rolleyes2:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby BullyLady » February 1st, 2009, 8:53 pm

mnp13 wrote:I never give in before 7:30, and usually the more annoying they are the longer I make them wait... I like them being on a schedule, but at the same time, I don't like them having hissy fits if I don't do exactly what they want exactly when they want it.

I kind of do the same thing, if they are calm then they eat right around the same time (that same time has to change now, though, cause my schedule just experienced a major upheaval :nono: ). Sirius has a tendency to go off his rocker, he will start getting growly, but talking growly not mean, and whining and pushing his head into my face or body really hard. When that starts to happen he gets put on a down stay and has to be silent and still for 15 minutes and then he can eat.

Shelby just gets kenneled if she gets too pushy with me but that really doesn't happen often. In fact, there has been the rare occasion where I totally forgot to feed her because I was caught up with something else and she didn't remind me. :oops: :giggle:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby BritneyP » February 1st, 2009, 9:17 pm

My dogs never eat at the same time every day. It all depends on what time I wake up, what I'm doing that day, etc. I just make sure I feed them about 12 hours after I fed them the first time. Sometimes they eat at 7am and 8pm, sometimes 10am and 10pm. For this reason, they've never gotten pushy or demanded food.
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby katiek0417 » February 1st, 2009, 9:21 pm

Actually, because we'll skip a meal every now and then (i.e., if we're training late, or like last night we went to meet with a photographer and didn't get home until 10:30), our dogs are VERY good about mealtime...they don't start barking or anything...however, if we wait too long to let them out after eating, Sacha makes it very apparent that it's time!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Jenn » February 1st, 2009, 10:37 pm

I feed everyone a little in the morning, and then right when I get home.. The cats and their annoying screaching and screams FAR out way the dogs!!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby BullyLady » February 1st, 2009, 10:43 pm

Jenn wrote:The cats and their annoying screaching and screams FAR out way the dogs!!

At my house too, we have a Siamese mix and his screeches are deadly, like a BANSHEE.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby ArtGypsy » February 1st, 2009, 10:48 pm

For Me, I feed the cats and Dar around 6:30-7:00 in the morning. Dar gets me up earlier than that on most mornings, so I let him out to potty and then he and I go snuggle on the couch til he falls back to sleep for awhile.
I never feed any of them earlier than that (even if they wake me up) to discourage them from getting too smart! ((the cats, mainly.)).

Then around 5:30 to 6:00 I feed both dogs and all of the cats...at the same time.

:+)
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Jenn » February 1st, 2009, 10:48 pm

It is horrendous, I've tried NOT feeding them till they shut up but it just makes it worse, so they win. lol I'll have to record them one day.

BullyLady wrote:
Jenn wrote:The cats and their annoying screaching and screams FAR out way the dogs!!

At my house too, we have a Siamese mix and his screeches are deadly, like a BANSHEE.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby KJS » February 2nd, 2009, 4:00 am

I feed at 7:30 am after the kids have eaten and again at 5:30 pm ....also after the kids have eaten

Snoop is sponsored by Swatch I am pretty sure :rolleyes2: ...and even though he is senile he knows when its time to eat :mrgreen:
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » February 2nd, 2009, 5:02 am

I have no schedule for Oscar, at all.

he gets a max of 6 cups of food a day, sometimes less. He gets fed around (this is a loose term :rolleyes2: ) the time that I get up if his bowl is empty, whenever that may be, then usually once or twice more (2 cups at a time) throughout the day, when I look over and realise the bowl has been empty for a while, or sometime in the evening.
Rarely, if he is particularly hungry, he'll come and sit about 4 feet away from me, silently, and stare; then its my job to guess if its time to go out side or if I've been really absent-minded and completely forgotten for the day so far.
If he is taking medication I usually try to give him a small meal with his meds.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pocketpit » February 2nd, 2009, 9:06 am

I try not to feed my crew at the same time because they would get annoying and it would drive me bonkers. Eve is such a food whore that anytime she thinks I might be headed off to feed she's spinning and getting worked up. I also make them be relatively quiet during dinner time or there's trouble. Tap dancing in your crate is acceptable behavior but running around, barking or vocalizing in any way is not. Having a pack makes a huge difference in what is tolerable and what's not.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby TinaMartin » February 2nd, 2009, 9:08 am

Gator gets fed when I go to work in the morning and after I come home in the afternoon.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby SisMorphine » February 2nd, 2009, 9:24 am

Our times are always different as sometimes I work 7-2 and sometimes I work 12-8, and sometimes I train at night and sometimes I don't. So they eat anytime between 6:15am and noon time for breakfast, dinner is anytime between 5:30 and midnight. Like Britney I try to do it 12 hours apart, but that doesn't always happen. Teeny doesn't beg for food, but Blue will act like I haven't fed him just 5 minutes after I did. He gets ignored.

When I had my foster cats Otter was AWFUL about mealtime! They lived in my office so in the morning I would sit down in my office on the computer putting in the dogs for the day (this was when I lived at the kennel). Otter wasn't loud about it. He would give soft meows and jump as high as he could towards the shelf that had the cat food on it. When that failed he would start chewing on the wooden knobs on the desk. When that failed he would eat whatever paperwork I was working on. :rolleyes2: Cats are evil.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Next

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies