Elliot the Pit Bull

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Marinepits » January 30th, 2009, 6:46 pm

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sectio ... id=6625698

video on webpage above

January 26, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- When we think of police canine units, the breed that most commonly comes to mind is the German shepherd.
But rookie canines on the job now are anything but ordinary.
The two newest members of the Cook County Sheriff's K9 unit are unique and are already performing beyond expectations.
A big bloodhound puppy named Melanie helped police rescued a suicidal man from a forest preserve earlier this month.
"The point of starting her on the trail where this individual had come into the woods...she solely hunted out that odor by her abilities," said Jim Pacetti, Cook County K9 Unit.
Melanie found the man in the nick of time. He was semi-conscious and partially submerged in a creek.
The K9 unit consists of a variety of dogs, including bloodhounds and German shepherds, but the most recent member of the force is a very loving, very friendly pit bull.
A pit bull named Elliot Ness is anything but untouchable. Loving and friendly, these traits keep most pit bulls from being good police dogs.
"The main problem we're finding with pit bulls is that they're too darn nice. All they want to do is just sit at your feet or crawl in your lap. They're very nice dogs," said Deborah Thedos, Cook County K9 Unit.
Police officers main contact with pit bulls is when they break up dog fighting rings. When encountering these dogs they found that they were anything but vicious.
"We knew from the get-go that these dogs, they aren't made this way," said Sheriff Tom Dart, Cook County.
For Elliot Ness's partner the pit bull is much more than just a dog.
"He's my best friend. He's my friend. He's my baby and he knows it," said Thedos .

http://www.cookcountysheriff.org/press_ ... 26_09.html

POLICE DOG RESCUES MAN IN FREEZING CONDITIONS
Home > Press Page

Sunday, January 25, 2009 — A suicidal man who was submerged in a south suburban forest preserve river was located and rescued by a member of the Cook County Sheriff’s Department’s K9 Unit, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced Monday.

Dart detailed the rescue at a press conference, where he also introduced the newest member of the Sheriff’s K9 unit, a pit bull rescued from a local shelter last year.

The river rescue was carried out by a 1-1/2 year-old bloodhound, Melanie, and her partner, Sheriff’s Police Officer Jim Pacetti. On Jan. 18, Sheriff’s officers responded to a call of a despondent man who had told his parents he was going to kill himself. Police got the call around 5 p.m. and traced his cell phone to the area of a forest preserve near 87th Street and LaGrange Road in unincorporated Lyons Township, but were unable to locate the 36-year-old man. Melanie was called in around 8 p.m.

Melanie sniffed the man’s pillowcase, then led officers into the woods. She followed a trail for ¼ mile before venturing west for 300 yards. She then turned and went 250 yards north and began pulling harder toward the east. She led officers 50 more yards, where they found the man semi-conscious and half-submerged in water around 9:30 p.m. Temperatures were around 5 degrees and the man was not wearing shoes and couldn’t move until police arrived.

Melanie became a member of the Sheriff’s Department last year, thanks to a donation by 832 K9’s Deputy Dogs, a not-for-profit group based in Florida. Of the 17 dogs in the Sheriff’s K9 Unit, she is the only dog specifically trained to search for missing people.

“Melanie’s efforts show the important role these dogs play as vital members of our department,” Dart said. “She was able to lead our officers far into the woods to find a man who might have frozen to death without her work.”

Also Monday, Dart introduced Elliott Ness, a 4-year-old pit bull rescued from a Burr Ridge shelter last year. The dog is the county’s first dog trained to locate cadavers.

The Sheriff’s Department was linked to Elliott thanks to the efforts of Burr Ridge-based Angel 4 Cause Rescue. Elliott was rescued from an abusive environment and still shows signs of hesitancy, but has quickly taken to cadaver work. Partnered with Sheriff’s Police Officer Debbie Thedos, Elliott was certified as a cadaver dog by the North American and Illinois Police Work Dog Associations after just three months of training.

Dart was joined at the press conference by dog behavior expert and nationally syndicated newspaper columnist/radio host Steve Dale, who discussed the ways pit bulls and other “bully breeds” can be successfully saved and rehabilitated. Dale hosts the Pet Central radio show every Sunday night on WGN-AM (720) and also writes a nationally syndicated newspaper column, while also operating his website, stevedalepetworld.com.

“So many people have misconceptions about pit bulls and similar dogs and because of that, many never get adopted from shelters,” Dart said. “Many of these dogs, like Elliott, can be saved and worked with to lead happy, healthy, productive lives.”

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » January 31st, 2009, 10:56 am

"Elliot Ness" :giggle: I remember him from "The Untouchables".
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Hoyden » January 31st, 2009, 11:14 am

Good Boy Elliot!!
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby TheRedQueen » January 31st, 2009, 12:34 pm

Yea Elliot...love the name! :dance:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby BullyLady » February 1st, 2009, 3:52 am

Jen, you are a total thread copier! Well, except yours has pics.... :neener:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28240
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Marinepits » February 1st, 2009, 1:43 pm

Hahahaha! Oooops! :D
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL