Symmetric Hair loss on the lower back sides, What do I do??

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Mosesman » January 29th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Hello guys, I have a 20 month old Male APBT, named MOses. He is a grreat dog, and had had no problems with health at all, but Ive noticed that on his right and left sides, on the lower back quarters, there is some small hair loss, about the size of a small tennis ball.
The LEFT side is much more evident, if he is standing a couple feet away you can Definately see it.
The RIGHT side is barely losing hair.
Anyhow, it IS symmetric, and it has me worried because this seems to be where a dogs kidneys would be.

Also, My mothers dog, Chico had this same thing, but it went away. he had his blood drawn, but I cant remember what the diagnosis was. Either way he is fine now.
I believe this happened to chico right around the big food scare.

Now, with Mo, I feed him only good quality food, usually Canidae No-Grain, or another No-grain quality dry food, and then I supplement with a RAW food patty. Sometimes If I dont have raw food patty I will use Ground beef from Trader Joe's, and whatever vegetables I have around, like Brocoli, carrots, lettuce, Beets, sometimes rice, or oats or barley too.

The last three weeks, I had the dogs on Wyosong (or is it Wyofood?) either way, its a natural food, but it DOES have grain. I also supplement with one of the above vegetables and meat, and sometimes canned Wild salmon.

My girlfriend just got the food this time, and she was lazy and got Beneful, so I dont want to waste it, so it looks like they'll have that for the next week.

SO......Am I missing something in the diet?? Im hoping that I can supplement with something and itll go away..I have been giving Mo some cut-up apples and bananas cuz I know they are good 4 kidneys.
I cant make him drink more water, wish I could.

He gets enough exercise, could use more running tho. The only treats he gets are trader joes chicken treats, and about two-three times a week he gets a medium Rawhide from QFC or somewhere.

Also, since he was a pup, he cant help himself and he eats ANY stuffed animals around. I've pulled cotton from his butt many times, and also found it in his feces as well. Could this be why? Maybe some stuck in somewhere? Ive taken all of them away except the one he chokes/sleeps with.

I'm really worried here and I dont know what to do, I am going to take him to the VET, but he doesnt do good with vets, in fact he is starting to become VERY human and dog aggressive. Another problem I have to deal with. Puppy class didnt help. He loves family, hates strangers.

Also, he seems to have a problem with the anal gland thing. Every week and a half, I will be laying in bed at night watching TV, and then I smell something awful. NO doubt, its the anal stuff. I then have to change the sheets and wipe his ass.
I dont think he has trouble controlling it, but who knows. What would you guyts shuggest for this??
ONly ONCE has he been sensitive in the area. I'm thinking if I take him every two weeks or month to get it evacuated, then there wont be a problem???

ANYINPUT SUPERBLY APPRECIATED, THANKS!!
Mosesman
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » January 29th, 2009, 11:06 pm

How old? How's the stool? Any known allergies? Is he crated? High energy/drive?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Mosesman » January 29th, 2009, 11:26 pm

He is 20mnths, the Stool is fine, he has normal energy, in fact he has LOTS of energy.

I dont know what it is. I suppose I started to notice it right around when I rotated him on "with-Grain food", even though its top of the line "with-grain kibble", and I still use raw vege and meat supplements.
It couldnt be that, could it?
I figured since he has been grain-free for so long, it wouldnt hurt to use some for a couple weeks, might be good for a change.
Personally, I dont think it is that.
BUt im worried here..I will post pics of it in the morning. Come to think of it, I havent seen his stool in at least ten days, since I have three dogs living with me, I just use the poop scoop, and when he shits on walks and in the park, he literally mounts bushes, so the crap falls into the bush and is hidden from sight.

In the morning I will follow him around and report back here, but im sure his stools are fine...
Im waiting for the patented "oh its nothing"....
Its the symmetric hair loss thats worrying me. Anyone had this problem before????
Last edited by Mosesman on January 29th, 2009, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mosesman
Just Whelped

Postby Mosesman » January 29th, 2009, 11:27 pm

he is Not crated either
Mosesman
Just Whelped

Postby Mosesman » January 29th, 2009, 11:41 pm

To generate an INterest=

Here he is @ 6.5 Months=

http://s545.photobucket.com/albums/hh38 ... months.jpg

And here he is with Chico, a Half Rednose/Half Lab.....

http://s545.photobucket.com/albums/hh38 ... months.jpg

Thanks guys....any input appreciated........
Mosesman
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 30th, 2009, 8:50 am

I'm of no help whatsoever (just bein' honest!) but we do have a couple vets/vet techs on here. We also have people that are extremely knowledgeable about about nutrition who I am sure will chime in as soon as they get a chance.

Regarding "I can't make him drink more water," what I do is put a decent amount (2 cups maybe?) of warm water over Inara's kibble and let it soak for a minute or so. Inara loves drinking the water because it tastes like the food, and I can rest peacefully knowing she's hydrated. Just a thought for you.

If you could post some pics of the hair loss that would probably be helpful for people. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby blabsforbullies » January 30th, 2009, 8:53 am

It could be anything. :| I would be thinking about allergies, parasites, thyroid disease, and idiopathic (unknown cause) symmetrical alopecia (hairloss). I see idiopathic alopecia a lot in my patients, and it is frustrating because it is a diagnosis made by ruling everything else out. >( If he isn't neutered, it can also be due to some hormonal change.

There are other, less common, causes for it, but at his age, it usually isn't something that is a major health concern. :wink:

Like you already plan to do, take him to the vet and have them take a look. Good luck! :wave2:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby BigDogBuford » January 30th, 2009, 12:33 pm

No clue what it is, if even a legitimate thing but I've seen a lot of 'winter coat' in Boxers and Pit Bulls this year.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby katiek0417 » January 30th, 2009, 2:26 pm

Definitely get it checked...if he was crated, I'd ask what kind of crate he was in....

Good luck!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Mosesman » January 30th, 2009, 7:03 pm

He has NEVER been crated.

Another thing I forgot to mention was that he and chico got into a little fight, the most serious one theyve ever been in, and both dogs ended up with bloody lips, and mo had a little cut on his neck.
Could this be the cause?

Also, For the Doctors- What are the chances of this thing sticking around for awhile? Dont these things go away fairly quickly?
LIke I say, Chico had this SAME type of symmetric hair loss in the SAME area, but this was years ago during the chinese food scare. Back then, we were feeding him supermarket food, and MO wasnt born yet. it ended up being that chico's blood levels of something were a little bit high, BUT still in the normal range. It ended up going away quite quickly. About a year later, MO was born, but It wasnt until about four months into MO's life that we switched to Healthy good food.

Docs, this couldnt be becuz of those five months MO was on supermarket food, could it?
Mosesman
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » January 30th, 2009, 7:12 pm

Can you get some pics and post them here?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby blabsforbullies » January 30th, 2009, 8:05 pm

Mosesman wrote:
Another thing I forgot to mention was that he and chico got into a little fight, the most serious one theyve ever been in, and both dogs ended up with bloody lips, and mo had a little cut on his neck.
Could this be the cause?

I don't think so.

Mosesman wrote:Docs, this couldnt be becuz of those five months MO was on supermarket food, could it?

No. That food would have been long gone from his system and doesn't tend to show reactions like this. My guess is seasonal alopecia. But it is impossible to say. I would have him checked. If it is seasonal alopecia, it can stay for months.
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Return to Nutrition & Health