Crap...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby amazincc » January 29th, 2009, 4:59 pm

Seppel was diagnosed w/abdominal cryptorchidism today. :nono:

We went to get his rabies shot and license/tag this morning, and our vet examined him at length, because one of his testicles is still MIA.
I got an estimate of roughly $600.00 for surgery... his appointment is on February 12th.

Sepp was deliriously happy to get poked and prodded, since he received tons of treats. He kept "high-five-ing" all the vet techs. Little show-off. :giggle:
He was SO excited that he had a hard time holding still... and the new girl whispered to me:" That hyperness should go away once he's neutered - don't WORRY!!!"
I told her I wasn't worried about him being "hyper" in the least bit, but I really felt like smacking her... :oops: :rolleyes2:
The little monster took care of it though - he expressed his anal glands on her shoes. She turned the prettiest shade of green and looked like she was going to :puke: . LMAO

Gah... those "free" puppies never really are, huh??? :shock:

I made him fill out an application at McDonalds. Someone has to foot the bill. :bs:

I know we had a thread somewhere about this, but I can't find it... what should I expect? How serious is this, and how invasive is the procedure???

And, yeah... here is little Mr. One-Ball just for good measure.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Pit♥bull » January 29th, 2009, 5:08 pm

Oh Christine, I'm so sorry :cry2:
Tons of
:goodthoughts:
coming your way...... Trouble sends Seppel a big :hug3:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » January 29th, 2009, 5:10 pm

Hahaha....Mr. One Ball. Poor fella. I think it's normally a pretty routine surgery, but I'll let the experts chime in.

Good luck, Little Mr. One Ball!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby SisMorphine » January 29th, 2009, 5:21 pm

I'mma name him One-Nut!

From my recollection it usually isn't a super complicated procedure in most cases. Hopefully someone else will chime in with something a tad more helpful.

This brings about memories of one of the vet's I used to work with calling me into the back room while he was doing a feline castration. When I got back there he asked me if I liked his earring . . . he had the cat's balls hanging from his ear. Man I miss that guy, he was fucked up . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby amazincc » January 29th, 2009, 5:37 pm

SisMorphine wrote:I'mma name him One-Nut!

From my recollection it usually isn't a super complicated procedure in most cases. Hopefully someone else will chime in with something a tad more helpful.

This brings about memories of one of the vet's I used to work with calling me into the back room while he was doing a feline castration. When I got back there he asked me if I liked his earring . . . he had the cat's balls hanging from his ear. Man I miss that guy, he was fucked up . . .

:lol3:

Well... my vet says it's not THAT routinely done. She thinks his other testicle is "hidden somewhere in the abdominal cavity, and they'll have to search for it..." (her words exactly).
She also told me what could happen if I don't have it done (which isn't even an option for me)... holy jeebus. :shock:
Anything from torsion to testicular cancer...

Damn dogs. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Marinepits » January 29th, 2009, 5:38 pm

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Pit♥bull » January 29th, 2009, 5:39 pm

amazincc wrote:Damn dogs. :)
You just said a mouth full... But we LOVES em anyway :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » January 29th, 2009, 5:45 pm

Marinepits wrote:http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27086

Oh, thanks, Jen!!!

blabsforbullies wrote:Sometimes, if we are really lucky :wink: , the undescended testicle is subcutaneous or very easily palpated. It's also possible that they slip in & out of the inguinal ring and can be "placed" back into the scrotum.

Yeah, big fat NO on that scenario in our case. She poked and prodded and palpated... couldn't feel a thing (or a ball, rather). :|

And of COURSE we LOVES em anyway. I'm just thinking I'm seriously due for a break. :P
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby DemoDick » January 29th, 2009, 6:08 pm

I made him fill out an application at McDonalds. Someone has to foot the bill.

I think he's overqualified.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby LMM » January 29th, 2009, 6:17 pm

Good thoughts coming your way Christine!!!! Give Sep a belly rub for me!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby amazincc » January 29th, 2009, 6:36 pm

DemoDick wrote:
I made him fill out an application at McDonalds. Someone has to foot the bill.

I think he's overqualified.

Demo Dick

We "dummied" him down a little. His application says he's a Lab. :wave2:

:lurk: :door:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Pit♥bull » January 29th, 2009, 6:44 pm

Look out... Here comes Joyce :shocker:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 29th, 2009, 6:49 pm

Oh, poor little One-Nut Sep! Thank god he's clueless about what's going to happen to him! lol
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » January 29th, 2009, 8:46 pm

Ripley was a One-Balled Wonder too...when I moved to MD, we were poor and couldn't foot the bill (wow, things come full circle for me!). I asked around at all of the low-cost spay/neuter services, and found one group that gave me a certificate for a spay for $45.00 at a great vet that used laser surgery and all sorts of good stuff. They gave me the spay certificate, as they said he'd be having an abdominal surgery just like a spay would be. :D

So now instead of the One-Balled Wonder, he's the Dog-That-Got-Spayed-AND-Neutered! 8)

Seriously, he was fine...no more trouble than getting a female spayed...they found the testicle quickly, no complications, took the other one off too...gave me some pain killers for him, home that night. :| Easy as pie!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby blabsforbullies » January 29th, 2009, 8:46 pm

amazincc wrote:We "dummied" him down a little. His application says he's a Lab. :wave2:

Ok... I won't hold that against you... :mad2: :box: :mad6: :pissed: :slap: :wink: :wink: :wink:

But seriously, I have had many that I couldn't feel awake, and then once the muscles are nice and relaxed, and he is in la-la land, I can sometimes get a better palaption. :dance:

9 times out of 10, it is a fairly easy procedure. Occasionally you get a really tough one to find, but that isn't going to happen, because you are LONG, LONG, LONG overdue for a break!!! And to be honest, all it would mean is that the incisions might be a bit longer... not a real big concern! :D
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby amazincc » January 29th, 2009, 8:54 pm

Thanks, Dr. Blabs... :dance: :)

And just WHO deleted "rat" after the "Lab"??? >( :nono:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby airwalk » January 29th, 2009, 9:16 pm

amazincc wrote:We "dummied" him down a little. His application says he's a Lab. :wave2:

Perfect for slobbering on the burgers..can't possibly be worse than bathing in the sink can it??? Give him a tummy rub for me, usually, this isn't that big a deal.
airwalk
I live here

Postby CinderDee » January 30th, 2009, 12:29 am

My sister's Borzoi had it done and I don't recall it being a problem at all.

Good thoughts to you & Seppel! :hug3:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby madremissy » January 30th, 2009, 12:34 am

Good Thoughts for Sepel.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Malli » January 30th, 2009, 5:40 am

yeah...
I think its more like a spay all around.
He'll be more sore then a typical neuter, and because the surgery might go into the abdomen, if it does, keeping him quiet will be extra important.

Its nothin' to fret over ! :hug3:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health