Chewing toenails?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Hundilein » January 26th, 2009, 7:47 pm

Renee sometimes chews on her rear toenails. I just assume that they are too long and cut them, and that usually stops the chewing for a while. Is this a normal thing? Hannah doesn't do it, but I think her nails grow more slowly than Renee's, so maybe they just never get long enough to bother her. Is it something I should be worried about? Do I need to cut her nails more often? I usually do them every few weeks. Is my dog just strange?
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby madremissy » January 26th, 2009, 8:44 pm

Well add Kinzyl to the strange category. I was wondering this same thing. Sometimes she does it when they need to be clipped and then sometimes she does it right after they are clipped. I always check her toes when she is doing it to make sure nothing is wrong. She never has any redness or anything in them. Very curious myself.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Pit♥bull » January 26th, 2009, 9:07 pm

Trouble chews her nails when they need clipped, always has. :(
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » January 26th, 2009, 9:16 pm

Teeny has chewed on her nails in the past. Provided you don't notice any sort of mutilation to the paw or nails then I wouldn't worry.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Pit♥bull » January 26th, 2009, 9:21 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Teeny has chewed on her nails in the past. Provided you don't notice any sort of mutilation to the paw or nails then I wouldn't worry.
Makes a quite annoying sound in the middle of the night though :(
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » January 26th, 2009, 9:25 pm

Tucker used to chew on his back toe nails too, and yes it can be very annoying the middle of the night. He hasn't done it in a while. His are solid black though, and I barely tip them quite often because I'm so worried about hurting him.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Marinepits » January 26th, 2009, 9:42 pm

Pit$Bull wrote:Makes a quite annoying sound in the middle of the night though :(

Er, yah. Like fingernails on a chalkboard. *shudder*
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby airwalk » January 26th, 2009, 11:08 pm

Hey could be worse..Scooter chews on his whole foot (and then wants to kiss me)
airwalk
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » January 27th, 2009, 7:15 am

airwalk wrote:Hey could be worse..Scooter chews on his whole foot (and then wants to kiss me)

And you should!!! :)

Truman chews on his nails and Darlene's.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 27th, 2009, 9:33 am

Inara just likes to lick her hoo-haw and bum. :|
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Hundilein » January 27th, 2009, 11:34 am

Thanks everyone! I'm glad to hear that this is not one of the things that makes Renee a total wacko. I guess I will just continue to try to remember to trim her nails before she starts chewing them.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » January 27th, 2009, 11:46 am

Hundilein wrote:Thanks everyone! I'm glad to hear that this is not one of the things that makes Renee a total wacko. I guess I will just continue to try to remember to trim her nails before she starts chewing them.
I'm sure she'll remind you. :P
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » January 28th, 2009, 6:48 am

While I've never heard them do it...I'm convinced some of our dogs have to do it because we never need to cut their nails...Jue, Cy, and Nemo...NEVER have to cut their nails...Sacha, too...but for her I know it's because she scratches the bottom of her crate...but the boys don't do that...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby iluvk9 » January 28th, 2009, 7:08 am

katiek0417 wrote: because we never need to cut their nails...Jue, Cy, and Nemo...NEVER have to cut their nails...

How weird is that?! We had a two German Sheps. when I was growing up and we never cut their nails either. But then they ate "Ken-L-Ration" canned food, only went to the Vet for rabies vaccines and lived to 16.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby katiek0417 » January 28th, 2009, 7:12 am

iluvk9 wrote:
katiek0417 wrote: because we never need to cut their nails...Jue, Cy, and Nemo...NEVER have to cut their nails...

How weird is that?! We had a two German Sheps. when I was growing up and we never cut their nails either. But then they ate "Ken-L-Ration" canned food, only went to the Vet for rabies vaccines and lived to 16.

But it's weird that this is true for only our males...our females (Neeners, Asja, and Dru) need their nails cut every few weeks...so I have no explanation... :rolleyes2:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby iluvk9 » January 28th, 2009, 7:16 am

Both our GSD were females. 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby LMM » January 28th, 2009, 11:20 am

Mama chews her back toenails and that works for me because she is wayyyy too nervous to let me cut them. I've been able to do it but it's a chore and I quicked her last time :(
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby BigDogBuford » January 28th, 2009, 12:42 pm

airwalk wrote:Hey could be worse..Scooter chews on his whole foot (and then wants to kiss me)

Doogie does that,too. Chews on it just like a big hamhock.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby mnp13 » January 28th, 2009, 1:58 pm

Cleo chewed her nails, I wish the current dogs did. She always kept hers nice and short for me.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby airwalk » January 28th, 2009, 4:06 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:

Doogie does that,too. Chews on it just like a big hamhock.

Yep that's a pretty good description. I always ask him "taste good???"
airwalk
I live here

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health