The Peticure

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Marinepits » January 26th, 2009, 3:55 pm

http://www.peticure.com/ (loud obnoxious commercial on page)

My neighbor got one for her sheltie recently and I borrowed it to try on my crew. I have to say I was not impressed -- my Dremel works FAR better. Also, Mac's nails are too thick and can't fit in the little hole provided for the sanding. Indy's just barely fit. It might work well on smaller dogs (was okay for Shorty) but I think I'd get a better result using an emery board and some elbow grease.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby airwalk » January 26th, 2009, 5:06 pm

I bought the pedipaws...the battery operated one and while it's slow it works better with my freak of a Mastiff (he hates his front feet messed with). So while I wish it were faster, it has solved an issue for us.
airwalk
I live here

Postby nicole » January 26th, 2009, 7:39 pm

airwalk wrote:I bought the pedipaws...the battery operated one and while it's slow it works better with my freak of a Mastiff (he hates his front feet messed with). So while I wish it were faster, it has solved an issue for us.

Same here. I also take off the guard piece and just use it like you would a dremel. It seems to take forever to file the nail b/c its not super strong but I guess that at least prevents the nail from getting hot. I also like that its pretty quiet. My dogs freak when they see the nail clippers, so this was a better option for us....they don't exactly love this either, but its pretty fool proof and they don't struggle as much once they realize its pain free. :rolleyes2:
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby madremissy » January 26th, 2009, 8:57 pm

Diana and Jessica, What is this device you are speaking of? Where do you get it, link, something. I need help with Gotty. It is time for his to get done again and I just hate the thought of taking him to get sedated just to have his nails done. I have tried everything. :|
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby hugapitbull » January 26th, 2009, 10:07 pm

Missy,
I've seen them at Bed, Bath & Beyond and also Walgreens.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby madremissy » January 26th, 2009, 10:27 pm

hugapitbull wrote:Missy,
I've seen them at Bed, Bath & Beyond and also Walgreens.

Thanks Shanna, the pedipaws one? I have seen one at walmart but I can't remember which one it was. :confused:
madremissy

Postby hugapitbull » January 26th, 2009, 10:34 pm

I'm almost positive it was pedipaws.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby SLS61185 » January 26th, 2009, 10:40 pm

hugapitbull wrote:I'm almost positive it was pedipaws.

Missy,

http://www.pedipaws.com/?directLoad&uid ... 29EE8BC2D4

I bought one for Patch and haven't used it yet... Trying to get him used to the sound because he doesn't like it... But I got mine at CVS.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby madremissy » January 26th, 2009, 10:41 pm

Thanks, I will go look at Walgreens. :wave2:
madremissy

Postby airwalk » January 26th, 2009, 10:43 pm

Scoooter's not exactly in love with it, but he tolerates it better than he does clippers and it enables me to get them smoother and roll over the top just a bit to help draw the quick back.
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » January 26th, 2009, 11:18 pm

Gotty has gotten better about me holding his feet. That is a start. Before I couldn't get near them. But as soon as the clippers come out he looses it. It is worth a try. I still have 2 others I can use it on. :dance:
madremissy

Postby Mickle » January 27th, 2009, 12:14 am

Be careful with dremels, you can still hurt them by going too short it just doesnt bleed.
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby Marinepits » January 27th, 2009, 8:24 am

Yup, former professional groomer here. :wave2: :wink:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Mickle » January 27th, 2009, 10:14 am

No problem, I see at the store all the time that ppl think that they wont hurt the dogs with a dremel so I always warn them that they can. Just a piece of advice from a current professional groomer.
Liisa
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby Mickle » January 27th, 2009, 10:18 am

Oh and my understanding is that the peticure and pedipaws are just dremels with guards on them.
Liisa
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby nicole » January 27th, 2009, 3:04 pm

Mickle wrote:Oh and my understanding is that the peticure and pedipaws are just dremels with guards on them.

yeah pretty much, except they have a much lower RPM than typical rotary tools so they aren't very strong. I've accidently brushed into my own nails and fingers while using it.
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » January 27th, 2009, 3:58 pm

Mickle wrote:Oh and my understanding is that the peticure and pedipaws are just dremels with guards on them.

Yup, for not much more money you can get a variable speed Dremel that will be useful for other things as well.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Mickle » January 27th, 2009, 4:21 pm

I have a regular dremel that I use. They also sell some pet ones without guards that stop if you put too much pressure. I just wanted to caution ppl that you can still hurt the dogs. Either way cutting or whatever you still need to be careful. Also I found that dogs that dont like thier nails done dont like it no matter how you do it and clipping tends to be faster.
Liisa
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby BullyLady » January 27th, 2009, 10:53 pm

mnp13 wrote:

Yup, for not much more money you can get a variable speed Dremel that will be useful for other things as well.

That's exactly why I got a regular Dremel, and my Dremel was cheaper than the Peticure. It's fantastic, I on purposely quick my dane because his nails are terribly grown out, and he already FREAKS about nail trims whether I quick him or not, so it's nice that the quick is cauterized and doesn't bleed.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Return to Nutrition & Health