Hey Guys

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby Playaplease813 » January 22nd, 2009, 4:08 pm

Hey just stoping by I havent posted in a long time the internet has been down at the house money is tight. I was wondering if someone could give me some tips about the arm sleeve I want to get Leo started on it he is 8months today :P
Playaplease813
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » January 22nd, 2009, 4:12 pm

Bitework topics are quite long and drawn out, it's also not always something that can be easily explained online. I understand lack of internet access, but if your forum access is going to be limited, it's probably best to not even get this going. With bitework, a "little" information can be a very bad thing
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BullyLady » January 22nd, 2009, 4:20 pm

I have some advice for getting started on a sleeve.........

Find a club!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Playaplease813 » January 22nd, 2009, 4:26 pm

It was just down for a little while I have complete access to the forums now I was just wondering how to start
Playaplease813
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » January 22nd, 2009, 4:27 pm

Do you have previous bite work experience? From which end of the leash? do you have someone to work your dog for you?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BullyLady » January 22nd, 2009, 4:27 pm

Playaplease813 wrote:It was just down for a little while I have complete access to the forums now I was just wondering how to start

BullyLady wrote:I have some advice for getting started on a sleeve.........

Find a club!

You reaaaalllllly can't learn this over the internet. Sorry!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Playaplease813 » January 22nd, 2009, 4:31 pm

yes I do have someone to help me on the leash but I will also look for a club in my area thank you
Playaplease813
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » January 22nd, 2009, 4:37 pm

mnp13 wrote:Do you have previous bite work experience? From which end of the leash? do you have someone to work your dog for you?

Playaplease813 wrote:yes I do have someone to help me on the leash but I will also look for a club in my area thank you

All of the questions are very important, to ask yourself and anyone you might want to train with.

In my opinion, anyone teaching bitework or doing decoy work should have experience from both ends. It's importatnt to be able to read a dog accurately, especially at the beginning of training. Training can be set back weeks or months with just a few minutes of bad decoy work.

If you plan to be out infront of your own dog while someone else handles it, well, personally, I think that is a horrible idea. LOTS of people disagree with me, but I will never do any sort of aggression work with a dog that lives in my house. I don't agree that a sleeve "is just a big tug toy." A bite sleeve is a bite sleeve, there is a difference between a rope and a sleeve, one is around your arm, the other is an extension. Like I said that is my opinion, and many many people get infront of their own dogs and don't have any problem with it.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Sports