Give 'em an inch....

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 16th, 2006, 9:31 pm

I was feeling all cuddly and sleepy this afternoon, so I allowed Inara on the couch with me for the first time. I'm thinking that may have been a mistake! Now she's acting like it's her puppy-given right. I'm not letting her up right now as I want her to know it's a privilege, not a right, so she's laying on the floor pouting, staring up at me with her big brown guilt-inducing eyes. She's alternating that with coming right next to me, putting a paw on my hand, and trying to force me to pet her. Monster!

(I gave it a heading for you, let me know if you want it changed! Michelle)
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Maryellen » April 16th, 2006, 10:03 pm

she will soon be under your covers at night..... they all wind up there.....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 16th, 2006, 10:11 pm

Oh definitely not! She's not even allowed upstairs! And I'm not sure where my subject heading disappeared to...
pitbullmamaliz

Postby Maryellen » April 17th, 2006, 7:56 am

hahahaaa... give it time... you will get sick, hubby will be away.. inara willl want to comfort you... and WHAM!! under the covers she goes....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 17th, 2006, 9:54 am

Maryellen wrote:hahahaaa... give it time... you will get sick, hubby will be away.. inara willl want to comfort you... and WHAM!! under the covers she goes....

LOL That is how Apache got bed rights pretty much. She was a pup and I had to have surgery and was stuck in bed for awhile lOL and then so was she
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Boss Hogg » April 17th, 2006, 10:08 am

Whne I got my second pup I swore not to spoil him, but when I seen him repeatedly trying to jump up on the bed, my swear went right out the window. The look on his face and the cry in his voice(and the fact I always wanted a male dog)made me give in. He learned the couch was common property by following my female who is basically his role model. lol
Boss Hogg
Just Whelped

Postby Maryellen » April 17th, 2006, 10:31 am

you can also teach inara that if she wants the couch privileges she has to do somethingfor you, like sit,paw, stuff like that. (http://www.k9deb.com) for Nothing in Life is free.. i make all mine do somethingbefore theycancome on thecouch or bed.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Malli » April 17th, 2006, 12:05 pm

I have worked lots with Oscar on this and my bed, he is only allowed up when I give an "ok" (his release) " up on the bed" other times if he "helps himself" he gets an "off!" or a correction in the form of a collar-grab-wisk-off-bed and put in a down-stay for about 30 seconds.

You could also try re-inforcing this by teaching a command and teaching a "get off" command with treats :|

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 17th, 2006, 1:36 pm

Well, I was making her sit and down before she was allowed up, and she wasn't allowed up without me inviting her. I'm really gonna try not to let her up too much (HAH!). We already follow NILIF pretty well. She has to sit before meals, stay before coming out her crate, etc.
I'm going to do my best to prevent her from feeling entitled to the couch!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby SisMorphine » April 17th, 2006, 1:46 pm

Maryellen wrote:she will soon be under your covers at night..... they all wind up there.....

Not only that, but will demand that you cover them!! If Wally works his way out from under the covers at night he'll wake me up to lift the covers and tuck him in again. Bratfaces.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » April 17th, 2006, 1:52 pm

I can't imagine having a whole bed to myself. I share mine with Munkee, Ollie & at least 2 sometimes 4 cats. You know that ribbon that runs along the edge of a mattress? That is my space. I hold on for dear life.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby bullymommy » April 17th, 2006, 2:14 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:I can't imagine having a whole bed to myself. I share mine with Munkee, Ollie & at least 2 sometimes 4 cats. You know that ribbon that runs along the edge of a mattress? That is my space. I hold on for dear life.

wow thats my space on the bed as well!!!! and i have a f-ing king sized bed! heres how it is if hubby is home- dan spence me hannah and chub and when she wants to babygirl (the cat)
when dan isnt home its me spence and which ever dog didnt get to go on the road with dan and again baby girl if she wants to.

doesnt matter if dan is home or not i end up having the same amount of space or lack there of!!!
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ellie@ny » April 17th, 2006, 2:47 pm

Oh man I tought I'm the only crazy person here...Well Nico sleeping between us,and Maya sleeps at my head like a cat......
Once you let them to go up........... :D
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Purple » April 17th, 2006, 2:51 pm

On the up side, at least they are great bed warmers!!
Purple
I live here

Postby bullymommy » April 17th, 2006, 4:35 pm

Purple wrote:On the up side, at least they are great bed warmers!!

hell yeah!!!! :D
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby turtle » April 17th, 2006, 6:55 pm

LOL, mine was "pre-ruined" when I got her... She was a 7 month old shelter pup that we picked out and since I really knew nothing about her, she was going sleep in a crate like all my previous dogs did. Little did I know...

Well, she woke me up every 3 hours, I thought she had to go out so I dutifully got up and took her out, she peed each time, and back in the crate where she whined a little, then 3 hours later she whined a lot! After 2 months of this, my husband said "I bet she would sleep thru the night if you let her on the bed"... And that's just what she wanted! I was so tired from lack of sleep that I gave in.

None of my other dogs were allowed on the sofa and in the bed but this one feels it's her right to be up there. I've adjusted and it's kind of nice to have a dog to sleep with, she and hubby have snoring duets. But once they learn they can get up on that comfy bed... uh oh, it's all over, they won't settle for the floor anymore!
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 17th, 2006, 7:16 pm

I'm tellin' ya - NO BED FOR INARA!!! I already have to share it with a husband and three cats, and it's only full-sized!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby turtle » April 17th, 2006, 7:30 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I'm tellin' ya - NO BED FOR INARA!!! I already have to share it with a husband and three cats, and it's only full-sized!

Yep, we only have a full sized bad and I get about 2 inches on the edge. Hubby and Fremiet the dog take up most of it!

turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby turtle » April 17th, 2006, 7:38 pm

GRRR!!! When do we get the Edit button back???

It's a "full sized bed" not a "full sized bad"... LOL

turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Asta » April 18th, 2006, 5:27 am

Maryellen wrote:
she will soon be under your covers at night..... they all wind up there.....

Not only that, but will demand that you cover them!! If Wally works his way out from under the covers at night he'll wake me up to lift the covers and tuck him in again. Bratfaces.

Oh i hear you on that one! Now that Guinness stays with my parents she is the queen of queens...First she had to be tucked in at night to sleep. If she, heaven forbid, lost that cover during the night my mom would get up and tuck her in again...
Now she has full bed rights hahaha The other night she was apparently complaining and maoning and didnt want to jump up into the bed despite my mom telling her too. So mom finally got pissed and got out of bed to hoist her butt up there. Well, lo and behold, she zoomed up there in notime and parked herself on my moms pilllow LOL She did get rolled over on my dads side afterwards though :D
She always slept next to my bed when i Canada, and was only allowed up in the mornings after we woke up, worked great :)

Cheers,

Asa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Return to Pit Bull Talk