Experienced Vet

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Boss Hogg » April 16th, 2006, 1:42 pm

I am looking for someone experienced and/or certified with cropping ears in the Dallas Fort Worth area. If you have any referrals please let me know. Thank you all!
Boss Hogg
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » April 16th, 2006, 2:02 pm

Hey, you're in DFW? Me too!! I don't know of any vets experienced in cropping offhand. My dogs have natural ears. Good luck on your search
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » April 16th, 2006, 2:03 pm

You know, you might pm "Carla" on this board. She lives in the area too & I am sure knows of someone to help you.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Boss Hogg » April 16th, 2006, 2:29 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Hey, you're in DFW? Me too!! I don't know of any vets experienced in cropping offhand. My dogs have natural ears. Good luck on your search

I read some of your post on that game-dog.com site. I needed to be in a place where people actually have positive attitudes towards those of us who aren't that experienced with bully bred dogs.
Boss Hogg
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » April 16th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Well, you are in the right place. We are here to learn & educate. None of us know all there is to know about this breed. We all learn knew things about this breeed & dogs in general everyday by sharing our expereinces & knowledge. Welcome to the board!

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Boss Hogg » April 17th, 2006, 10:35 am

I tried contacting the lady Carla referred me to but she was very brief on information and said I have to come in for a consultation first. The drive there is at least 2hrs and I work full-time, so for me to make two trips is pushing it alot. Is there not a way to look up ear cropping vets in my area? I'll use the vet Carla referred to me as a last resource. Thank you Carla!
Boss Hogg
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » April 17th, 2006, 10:41 am

Not that I know of Boss, you might call around the vets in your area. Do you ever see any dogs that you like the crop on? You could ask the owners where it was done.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Miakoda » April 21st, 2006, 1:06 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:I tried contacting the lady Carla referred me to but she was very brief on information and said I have to come in for a consultation first. The drive there is at least 2hrs and I work full-time, so for me to make two trips is pushing it alot. Is there not a way to look up ear cropping vets in my area? I'll use the vet Carla referred to me as a last resource. Thank you Carla!

The best advice is to get on the phone & call. Then, personally visit the vet clinics, meet the vet that does the cropping & ask to see before & after pics of his crops (ALL good, experienced, reputable vets who do cosmetic procedures will take before & after pics to show future clients). If no pics exist, leave pronto. Also, just keep asking around town.

However, my advice is to take the 2 hr drive to Carla's vet. Again, no good, experienced, knowledgable vet will do a crop procedure without a (mandatory) consultation with you & your dog first. There are a few reasons for this consultation: 1) to determine if your dog's ears/ear structure are suitable for a crop (ears that lie over the head will continue to do so once cropped & look like crap afterwards) 2) to discuss with you what type/style of crop you want done (this is your chance to bring several pikcture examples with you) 3) to give the vet a chance to recommend the style of crop that would look best on your dog & to explain the procedure & aftercare to you & 4) to collect a deposit for the upcoming surgery (too many people book precious slots only to never show up for the surgery causing a loos off income for the clinic & leaving a vet bored & unhappy)
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 21st, 2006, 1:09 pm

Hey you!! Where have you been?

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Miakoda » April 21st, 2006, 1:23 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Hey you!! Where have you been?

LOL. I'm ALIVE! It's just been a rough month & a half for me. I was bitten in the thigh by our newest dog, then since I'm allergic to penicillan, the nurse at the doctor's office decided to give me a large dose of it. So then I got to spend 3 days in the hospital. After that, I just needed some time to rest & recoup (not from the bite but from the shock/allergic rxn) & worry about by unborn baby a while. My grandmother has also recently been diagnosed with aggressive liver cancer, so I've also been spending as much time as possible with her & my mom. This is the first day I've been on the computer in what, 6 weeks? :shock: I've been in pitbulltalk withdrawal as well.................. :wink:
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 21st, 2006, 1:25 pm

Miakoda wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:Hey you!! Where have you been?

LOL. I'm ALIVE! It's just been a rough month & a half for me. I was bitten in the thigh by our newest dog, then since I'm allergic to penicillan, the nurse at the doctor's office decided to give me a large dose of it. So then I got to spend 3 days in the hospital. After that, I just needed some time to rest & recoup (not from the bite but from the shock/allergic rxn) & worry about by unborn baby a while. My grandmother has also recently been diagnosed with aggressive liver cancer, so I've also been spending as much time as possible with her & my mom. This is the first day I've been on the computer in what, 6 weeks? :shock: I've been in pitbulltalk withdrawal as well.................. :wink:

Things just get worse & worse for you don't they? I'm sorry for all you are going through & hope things get better very soon. Let us know if we can help you in any way.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Miakoda » April 21st, 2006, 1:33 pm

Cheeky, actually all is well. I just needed some time out for myself, my dogs, & for family. Taking a break from the computer was actually hard, but I needed to devote some time to the my offline life. :wink:

As for the dog in question, I'm just sorry I didn't acquire him sooner than his 4 1/2 yrs of age. He was carrying on non-stop while I was watering/playing with all the dogs outside & I playfully swatted at him (not hitting him, just a playful air swat & a "shut up stupid" comment). He replied by redirecting his frustration onto my upper thigh. Coupled with some other health issues of his, the decision to let him chase squirrels & kitties in doggie heaven was hard, but for the best.

Also, the time off has helped me to rejuvenate & I feel better now than I've felt in the past 6 mo. So here I is! I is back!

EDIT: Want to mention that all the other dogs are doing great & we've ALL been preparing for the baby. I think the dogs will be ecstatic to have a little person throwing food on the floor for them.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby girlie » April 21st, 2006, 1:35 pm

Holy crap woman!!

Welcome back :D
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 21st, 2006, 1:38 pm

You have an offline life??? :eek1: I'm glad you are doing well, I would be a basket case.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jenn » April 21st, 2006, 1:46 pm

Sorry about your thread boss, :lol3:

BUT ~ WELCOME BACK Missy.. Glad to hear your doing well! Image
Jenn
undecided

Return to Off-Topic