Is my Dogs Food OK

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby CashCountry » January 19th, 2009, 11:52 pm

I have been feeding my puppy Purina large breed Puppy formula dog food. I have never asked anyone there opinion on this but would really like to have some feed back on this. He also gets a
Pet Tab everyday, which was suggested by the breeder i bought my pup from. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks
CashCountry
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » January 19th, 2009, 11:57 pm

Well... you can start w/reading this - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1372
and continue w/that - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1372

Ask more questions if you don't understand some of the info, or if it gets confusing. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BullyLady » January 20th, 2009, 12:03 am

If you are feeding a nutritionally balanced diet, which most kibbles are, then the Pet Tab isn't necessary. It's a gimmick.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby amazincc » January 20th, 2009, 12:20 am

This is what your puppy is eating right now -
Purina - Puppy Large Breed Formula

Ingredients:
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, pearled barley, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of vitamin E), beet pulp, animal digest, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, l-lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, dl-methionine, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin supplements (A, E, B12, D3), manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, biotin, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite

Don't feel bad... my first Pit Bull started out on that, because I didn't know any better. There are definitely better choices out there, it just takes some research. :wink:

And wth is "animal digest", by the way??? :shock: :puke:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » January 20th, 2009, 12:26 am

Animal Digest - A powder or liquid made by taking clean under-composed animal tissue and breaking it down using chemical and or emblematic hydrolysis. It does not contain horn, teeth, hair, hooves, or feathers except in trace amounts which are unavoidable, Digest names must be descriptive of their contents....that is, chicken digest must be made from chicken and beef digest made from beef.

http://www.doberdogs.com/foodcht2.html
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » January 20th, 2009, 12:34 am

Thanks for the link, Erin.

Sounds appetizing. :eekHair:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » January 20th, 2009, 1:00 am

amazincc wrote:Sounds appetizing. :eekHair:

mmm hmmm! :yum:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby CashCountry » January 20th, 2009, 9:42 am

I will have to do a lil research and see if i can get him switched over to another brand. Thanks for the help
CashCountry
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 20th, 2009, 9:49 am

Generally speaking, you want to try to stay away from anything you can buy in a grocery store or Wal-Mart. Some of Petsmarts foods are mid-grade, and Pet Supplies Plus carries some of the nice high-end foods. And keep in mind that even though they may be expensive up front (I pay about $55 for a 30 lb bag), Cash will eat a lot less of it so it lasts longer. And his poops will be smaller and less frequent, which is always a bonus!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby CashCountry » January 20th, 2009, 10:03 am

Im not sure that we have any high end pet stores. Petco and PetsMart are the only 2 that come to mind right now. I am going to search and see if i can find a pet supplies plus that is local. Thanks
CashCountry
Just Whelped

Postby Mickle » January 20th, 2009, 10:08 am

Petco carries solid gold and wellness. Both are far better than puppy chow.
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » January 20th, 2009, 10:13 am

Also check into feed stores and farm co-ops. They usually carry high grade foods also.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby CashCountry » January 21st, 2009, 11:58 pm

Ok so i went to Petco tonight and picke up some new Puppy food. I got the Solid Gold all natural puppy formula. I mixed in with his regular food 1 to 3 and my pups seemed to love it. Now im interested in seeing how well their tummys liked the new food in the morning.
CashCountry
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » January 22nd, 2009, 9:26 am

Let us know how it goes!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » January 22nd, 2009, 11:19 am

CashCountry wrote:Ok so i went to Petco tonight and picke up some new Puppy food. I got the Solid Gold all natural puppy formula. I mixed in with his regular food 1 to 3 and my pups seemed to love it. Now im interested in seeing how well their tummys liked the new food in the morning.

That's an excellent choice.

Don't judge their reaction to the food for a few days, sometimes the first day or so is a "little" rough.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » January 22nd, 2009, 12:20 pm

CashCountry wrote:Ok so i went to Petco tonight and picke up some new Puppy food. I got the Solid Gold all natural puppy formula. I mixed in with his regular food 1 to 3 and my pups seemed to love it. Now im interested in seeing how well their tummys liked the new food in the morning.

At least with my dogs if I go to a higher grade food, they are fine...it's when I go from higher grade to lower grade that things become an issue...that's just been my experience however.

I love Solid Gold, and when I am not feeding raw, I do Solid Gold Barking at the Moon

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby rockermom » January 24th, 2009, 10:21 am

Just wanted to add if you find a local pet store don't assume because you don't see the food you would like to use on the shelve does not mean you cant get it. I have had to special order Rocky's food since the day he came home from the shelter. He came to me on pedegree he was very thin no muscle with hanging skin puppy with bad diarrhea (he was in shelter about 2 wks). but For 3 years I have been using Fromm Family foods I prefer 4 star line (duck or the chicken) as it is a bit better ingredients I used the puppy until he was 9mos. I began using it on recommendation from my dad who has been involved with agility for 20 yrs. At first I saw price difference :shock: $16.00 for like a 40lb or more bag of pedegree at walmart or 35.00 for 33 lbs of fromm gold. But than I realized pedigree recommends 6 cups of food a day (ridiculous) for a 50lb dog where from recommends like 3 which is much closer as Rocky eats 2cups a day.therefore keep in mind if you choose a more expensive better ingredient food usually you are feeding much less. And I kept Rocky on it due to different vets opinion of Rocky's condition. He appears to be a highly exercised dog. And honestly he is just a family dog who exercises himself daily running laps in the yard. I don't know much about the other foods but so far any of the others I have compared to there was no reason to change. And after his last vet check up at 3. vet said "A white virtually naked pink skinned dog with perfect skin and perfect body, Keep doing whatever you are doing." So since I really don't do much other than take him for long walks in warm weather I am crediting the food he eats. i consider the foods you buy in supermarkets to be like eating McDonald's every day. Since I have never tried any other foods other than a sample of Innova as treats and Rocky developed his first secondary yeast infection at 3 1/2 years old, could be coincidence but definitely a sign not to change. Anyway just giving my experience not trying to sell dog food. so do some research based on the foods mentioned on the forum go on each website read ingredients check prices etc. But definitely saying when you find what works for you and your dog and they maintain a nice weight and overall condition stick with it despite being persuaded to change based on others opinions of their dog food. As I have almost changed 2 years ago based on some of the opinions of different foods on the forum. But now I know what is good for my dog and since local pet stores have come and gone in my area I have been persuaded to change I always say no thanks can you order this and most part they can if distributor carries if not I find another store who will. I now have 3 different pet stores in 10 mile radius who will order it for me so I am well covered. Funny thing I am pretty much their only Fromm customer. Wow long story. Sorry
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Mosesman » January 29th, 2009, 11:10 pm

NO!!!
I did the same thing, I fed my MOses the supermarket store shelf food for his first four months. Now I HIT myself for doing it. Start EARLY!! You will be glad you did.

Go in the phone book, and look up Dog food. Then find a Healthy dog food store, the smaller the better usually, near you. (you'll be surprised, there are a bunch around)

Then go over, ask for a tour.
I would suggest buying a No-grain dog food, which means theyu dont fill up %90 of the kibble with CORN or RICE.
I would suggest CANIDAE or First mate, or anything NO-grain.
Then go over to the refrigerator, and grab some RAW FOOD patty's. This is dog food that has Raw vegetables and meats, organs, and other stuff. Thisll be around $10 or so. You can put a bit of this on the dogs food every time you feed them.

For HEALTHY GOOD FOOD, with vegetables, meat, organs, and bone, ALL THE GOOD STUFF, itll be around $55 for 30lbs of food. THAT IS PRETTY MUCH THE SAME YOULL SPEND FOR THE SUPERMAREKT CHINESE CRAP.

Anyhow, remember, this is SO GOOD FOR YOUR DOG, They DESERVE IT.

You will feel TEN TIMES BETTER after you start feeding your dog REAL FOOD.
Also, throw in some broccoli or carrots, or lettuce, or mushrooms, or beets, or raw grond beef, or wild canned salmon when you run out of the raw food patties.
You can never go wrong. Also, save stuff from cooking, like the chicken fat, just make sure you dont season the chicken until after. Also SAVE THE ORGANS FOR THEM. And make sure to give them at least ONE Raw Bone a week, cuz they need that bone and marrow for their diet.

I like liver treats for them too, cuz it seems like good liver isnt found enough in foods today.
Mosesman
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 30th, 2009, 8:45 am

Just an FYI - I believe mushrooms are toxic for dogs.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Return to Nutrition & Health