growl in play

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby rockermom » April 15th, 2006, 5:46 pm

I guess I just want to assure myself being my first dog (puppy) 9 mos. Is growling when playing an ok thing. he has the toy and you like quickly get to him in the Im gonna get you stance and say in a playful voice give me that. He growls and runs off comes back playing keep away. He has only done this a few times recently. so far each time was a different person. A new thing. If I was to grab him by the collar and say give he does get submissive and give.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 15th, 2006, 6:43 pm

IMO a growl in play is nothing to be concerned about. Mine growl at me all the time while we play tug. Sounds scary as hell but they are only playing, like any dog would.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Magnolia618 » April 15th, 2006, 7:32 pm

Maggie sounds VICIOUS when we play. It would be terrifying if I didnt know she was just a big 'ol dork. lol
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby pLaurent » April 15th, 2006, 8:07 pm

Haha...Chloe growls like a maniac when we play. She's at her worst outside, when I'm trying to get a branch away from her.

I'm sure anyone hearing it would be terrified, but it's totally in fun! :D
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby AchillesThePit » April 16th, 2006, 8:30 pm

What about growl at sleep? Achilles doesn't growl when we play...but he growls many times when he was asleep. :oops: :?
AchillesThePit
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » April 16th, 2006, 8:34 pm

AchillesThePit wrote:What about growl at sleep? Achilles doesn't growl when we play...but he growls many times when he was asleep. :oops: :?

Oh...THAT means he is about to kill you! Just kidding! He is probably having bad dreams.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 16th, 2006, 10:45 pm

My dogs sound like they are trying to kill each other when they are playing. Well, until you hear them really trying to kill each other :oops:

Tess and Jack will growl when playing tug.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Here's Johnny » April 17th, 2006, 2:27 pm

Ally growls whenever we play tug of war, but its all in good fun.

But whenever we are at the dogpark and she's playing with the other dogs I don't let her growl or bark. So many dog owners are scared of pits down here that I don't let her show any agression at all. This has only happened 3 times though. She's great at the park because if there is a fight she will run over to me and wait till its over.
Here's Johnny
Just Whelped

Postby Here's Johnny » April 17th, 2006, 2:28 pm

Ally growls whenever we play tug of war, but its all in good fun.

But whenever we are at the dogpark and she's playing with the other dogs I don't let her growl or bark. So many dog owners are scared of pits down here that I don't let her show any agression at all. This has only happened 3 times though. She's great at the park because if there is a fight she will run over to me and wait till its over.
Here's Johnny
Just Whelped

Postby bullymommy » April 17th, 2006, 2:32 pm

AchillesThePit wrote:What about growl at sleep? Achilles doesn't growl when we play...but he growls many times when he was asleep. :oops: :?

when hannah and chub do that i call it "chasing the baddies" they growl bark and act like they are running in their sleep. its funny until they kick you in the back full force while you are sleeping!!!

and both of them growl and bark while we are playing and when they are playing together its not a big deal!!!!
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » April 19th, 2006, 12:11 pm

agree with all of the above. Satin growls while playing, it is part of the game. It is her saying, ha ha, come get me. My MIL thinks it sounds absolutely vicious, but it is just Satin being a snot-nose bully
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Malli » April 19th, 2006, 12:20 pm

Oscar growls his butt off in play. The harder you fight in tug, the louder he growls, it can get scary sounding.

He also moans/groans/growls if he REALLY wants something, and no, I do NOT give in to those!

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Training & Behavior