Garden Pond

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Purple » April 15th, 2006, 9:00 pm

Does anyone have a garden pond...a pond in their garden? A friend gave me a small plastic "pond" with a waterfall. I would like to put a few fish in it.....
Can you give me any hints or suggestions or have pictures? :|
Purple
I live here

Postby Malli » April 15th, 2006, 9:25 pm

I can help you with the fish :D

If your water is chlorinated, you'll need a dechlorinator, you can get pond strength sizes from most pet stores.

How many gallons is the pond??

Ideally if you could add a small filter as well as the waterfall that would be best...

I assume you're adding Goldfish?

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby a-bull » April 15th, 2006, 10:24 pm

Purple wrote:Does anyone have a garden pond...a pond in their garden? A friend gave me a small plastic "pond" with a waterfall. I would like to put a few fish in it.....
Can you give me any hints or suggestions or have pictures? :|

I've wanted to build a little pond on my property, but my Dad told me racoons will eat my fish? :|

Put an alligator in yours to be on the safe side. :wink3:
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 15th, 2006, 11:01 pm

My dad puts them in for a living, but I have no clue LOL

He puts Koi in the ones he does . Do you have any Garden supply stores that sell them in your area. They probably can give you all the info you need

They are really cool fish they even come eat out of your hand
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby bullymommy » April 15th, 2006, 11:47 pm

koi are awesome!!!!!!

when i was in HI we went to one of the temples and they had huge koi in their pond it was just awesome how they would come over to you and yes eat right out of your hand!!!!
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Hoyden » April 15th, 2006, 11:52 pm

I can give you good landscaping tips if you post a picture of the pond liner.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Purple » April 16th, 2006, 9:12 am

I'll post a pic, it's quite scary right no. I plan on throwing a few goldfish in.
I figured I would need a filter, just to keep the water clean.
My husband stuck it in a goofy place, at the front of the garden, instead of off setting it in the center like I wanted. I don't dare say anything, as I know how much he hates digging!!! LOL!
Purple
I live here

Postby a-bull » April 16th, 2006, 11:03 am

Patch O' Pits wrote:My dad puts them in for a living, but I have no clue LOL

He puts Koi in the ones he does . Do you have any Garden supply stores that sell them in your area. They probably can give you all the info you need

They are really cool fish they even come eat out of your hand

Yes! Those thing are soo cool!! They're more like pets than fish!!
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Malli » April 16th, 2006, 12:06 pm

More then keeping the water clear, the filter will grow a colony of bacteria wich will eat the fish's waste and break it down into a much much less toxic chemical.

Do you have any measurements of the size or anything approximate? If I can figure out how many gallons it'll be I can recommend an ideal number of fish, and the best number to start with.

I moderate a section on a fish forum so I thought I'd just jump in and ask you a zillion questions :lol3:

a-bull : I think your only concern would be a pond shallow enough that the racoon can reach the bottum. My folk's last house has a pond that is 16 x 8 by 4 ft deep and although we have plenty of racoons in the area the only issue we ever had were Herrons, and even then we had so many fish that they didn't really make a dent.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Purple » April 16th, 2006, 1:36 pm

OK, then, pictures and measurements....will do !!!
Purple
I live here

Postby a-bull » April 16th, 2006, 3:36 pm

Malli wrote:More then keeping the water clear, the filter will grow a colony of bacteria wich will eat the fish's waste and break it down into a much much less toxic chemical.

Do you have any measurements of the size or anything approximate? If I can figure out how many gallons it'll be I can recommend an ideal number of fish, and the best number to start with.

I moderate a section on a fish forum so I thought I'd just jump in and ask you a zillion questions :lol3:

a-bull : I think your only concern would be a pond shallow enough that the racoon can reach the bottum. My folk's last house has a pond that is 16 x 8 by 4 ft deep and although we have plenty of racoons in the area the only issue we ever had were Herrons, and even then we had so many fish that they didn't really make a dent.

Malli

Oh, really? Hmmm, that's a good tip.

I wonder if gulls would bother with it . . . :|
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby rockermom » April 16th, 2006, 5:09 pm

I have a pond, I will give more info tomorrow about it. I am busy with taxes today. Do not spend the money on a filter. I made my own and I recently found a website that shows you how to make your own. So I may upgrade mine a bit. My dad has his dogs pee by the pond and he has no issues with racoons. Make a house out of bricks for the fish to hide. When I have more time I will look for the link to the website for a home made filter.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Purple » April 16th, 2006, 6:56 pm

OK, here is my little plastic pond in phase one...it is 50" long and about 28" wide

And here is Dexter, all mad at us because he can't come out to the front yard.....

Purple
I live here

Postby Hoyden » April 16th, 2006, 7:03 pm

Purple - I am stealing this picture. Take a few more from the other angles.

I'm going to try dumping the photo into a landscape design program and show you some options. PM me your zip code too. (I can make plant suggestions!)
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Purple » April 16th, 2006, 7:17 pm

Here you go....

Purple
I live here

Postby a-bull » April 16th, 2006, 8:20 pm

o . . . m . . . g . . . Dexter . . . I'M SO IN LOVE STILL! LOOK at that face in the window! That picture is the BEST!
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Purple » April 16th, 2006, 8:24 pm

a-bull wrote:o . . . m . . . g . . . Dexter . . . I'M SO IN LOVE STILL! LOOK at that face in the window! That picture is the BEST!

He looks so ticked off!!!!

How about my puddle pond mess?!!!
Purple
I live here

Postby a-bull » April 16th, 2006, 8:27 pm

Well, your house is so damn tidy, even your "mess" looks organized.

I think it's going to look cute there when you're done.
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Purple » April 16th, 2006, 8:31 pm

a-bull wrote:Well, your house is so damn tidy, even your "mess" looks organized.

I think it's going to look cute there when you're done.

Didn't catch that ol' dirty spider web in the upper right hand corner of the pic, did you....bahahahahaha.....and thank you!!!
Purple
I live here

Postby a-bull » April 16th, 2006, 8:32 pm

thought it was part of the gargoyle theme . . . :wink3:
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Next

Return to Off-Topic