Regular/annual deworming necessary??

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby HappyPuppy » January 17th, 2009, 10:29 am

We have only wormed Ruby once (maybe twice) since we got her 3+ years ago. I have seen some threads recently in which people say they deworm a few times a year.... Wondering how important/necessary that is? I analyze every poop and have never seen any worms tho I know some can be in there and are not obviously visible.... We don't play with other dogs or really have that much 'exposure'. Neighbors have cats and one had tapes last year but I think they took care of it. Someone left a dead rat in the garage day before yesterday but it was not really chewed on (it had injuries but they looked more like a crow did it than one of my dogs)... (We do monthly heart guard but that's it)

Should this be done as a routine thing or only 'as needed' ?
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » January 17th, 2009, 10:34 am

I give Sentinel which is a HW preventative, but also takes care of some intestinal worms...

Plus Rip, Xander and Sawyer all get a fecal check done every 6 months for the Therapy Group. I'd say if you're worried, just get a fecal check done at the vet...easy enough. Most vets ask for one at the yearly exam.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 17th, 2009, 11:01 am

Inara's also on Sentinel most months of the year, and she gets a yearly fecal check, but I definitely don't do regular wormings. I don't think she's been wormed since she was a baby.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby katiek0417 » January 17th, 2009, 2:49 pm

My dogs are on Interceptor or Heartguard, which also helps with some intestinal parasites, however, I do give panacur twice a year...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SisMorphine » January 17th, 2009, 3:02 pm

Mine are on interceptor half of the year which helps with parasites and I use a natural dewormer 2-3 times a year. But my dogs have CONSTANT contact with other dogs and it's pretty easy for them to get something. I guess if you don't take your dogs to many places where loads of other dogs are it isn't that big of a deal as far as worming so often. :|
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Malli » January 17th, 2009, 4:00 pm

with the various rat eating incidents I've read that Ruby has had if I were in your place I'd be tempted to fecal test or alternately, worm frequently.
FYI many worms and their eggs are not visible to the human eye ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby blabsforbullies » January 17th, 2009, 4:37 pm

Ok, here is my scoop on the poop... :moon:

Depending on the area you live in, many, many parasites/parasite eggs or cysts are living in the soil, as well as other dog's feces. :sad2: The way that most parasites are transmitted is by fecal-oral contamination. In other words, they have to ingest contaminated feces or soil in order to get the parasite. So, in very dry climates, this is less of an issue because heat will kill the eggs/cysts in most cases. :flameT:

Checking fecal samples involves looking for the eggs/cysts under a microscope (you rarely see a worm in the stool unless you have a very high worm burden/count) :shock: . Most parasites shed eggs/cysts every 2-3 weeks, so it is entirely possible to miss seeing an egg/cyst simply based on the timing of the test. >( As a consequence, many people will prophylactically deworm just to be safe (and although many of the heartworm preventatives help control parasites, they do not cover all of them and may not be able to clear an infection if it is a strong one).

Why, do you ask, are people concerned about parasites? btw Well, obviously it can be a health concern for your pet. :shake: It can cause many different problems, depending on the parasite we are talking about. But, also important to note, many of the parasites can be transmitted to people. :mad6: It is especially a problem for the young, the old, and the immunocompromised. Plus it is just gross... :puke: ha ha ha....

I hope that helps. :wave2:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby cheekymunkee » January 17th, 2009, 5:39 pm

blabsforbullies wrote:Ok, here is my scoop on the poop... :moon:

Depending on the area you live in, many, many parasites/parasite eggs or cysts are living in the soil, as well as other dog's feces. :sad2: The way that most parasites are transmitted is by fecal-oral contamination. In other words, they have to ingest contaminated feces or soil in order to get the parasite. So, in very dry climates, this is less of an issue because heat will kill the eggs/cysts in most cases. :flameT:

Checking fecal samples involves looking for the eggs/cysts under a microscope (you rarely see a worm in the stool unless you have a very high worm burden/count) :shock: . Most parasites shed eggs/cysts every 2-3 weeks, so it is entirely possible to miss seeing an egg/cyst simply based on the timing of the test. >( As a consequence, many people will prophylactically deworm just to be safe (and although many of the heartworm preventatives help control parasites, they do not cover all of them and may not be able to clear an infection if it is a strong one).

Why, do you ask, are people concerned about parasites? btw Well, obviously it can be a health concern for your pet. :shake: It can cause many different problems, depending on the parasite we are talking about. But, also important to note, many of the parasites can be transmitted to people. :mad6: It is especially a problem for the young, the old, and the immunocompromised. Plus it is just gross... :puke: ha ha ha....

I hope that helps. :wave2:

It certainly does! Thanks!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby BullyLady » January 17th, 2009, 5:46 pm

So, Dr. Blabs, would you say that if your dog has no known worm problem (no symptoms, not visible in stools, etc...) that the dewormers contained in most heartworm medication is sufficient for the average dog?
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby blabsforbullies » January 17th, 2009, 6:21 pm

BullyLady wrote:So, Dr. Blabs, would you say that if your dog has no known worm problem (no symptoms, not visible in stools, etc...) that the dewormers contained in most heartworm medication is sufficient for the average dog?

For the average dog, probably (average meaning the typical house pet that doesn't go to dog parks, dog sports, dog shows, or has a lot of interaction with unfamiliar environments, etc). Some heartworm meds are still only covering the heartworms... so just check the label. :rolleyes2: There are some parasites it doesn't cover (ie: giardia), so I would still recommend having a stool checked at least once, maybe twice a year (depending on the area you live in). I personally check stool samples quite frequently, as I don't like to give a lot of un-necessary medications. :| But, that isn't a fair comparrison, as I can do them myself so it is of no cost! :wink:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby HappyPuppy » January 17th, 2009, 8:29 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone and Dr Blabs! Sis - glad you chimed in. Yours was the recent post I read about deworming that prompted this. What, if I may ask, is the natural dewormer you are using?
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » January 17th, 2009, 8:38 pm

I use the Quantum Herbals Pet Worm/Parasite Formula. Since beginning to use it twice a year none of my dogs have had their stools come up positive for anything, so I'm happy (I've used it 3 times thusfar).

But again, I work in a daycare environment so my dogs are exposed to many many different dogs every week. Plus we go to training at 3+ different facilities each week, in addition to regular walking. So my dogs have much more exposure to worms/parasites than your normal house pet would.

You can check out the herbal meds here:
http://www.quantumherbalproducts.com/Ca ... s.cgi/4302

I love Quantum.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby BritneyP » January 18th, 2009, 4:18 pm

Hey Sis, I think it's interesting in a lot of the herbal/natural HW preventatives I've been reading about, most all of them contain the ingredients listed in the Quantum stuff you use. :)
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SisMorphine » January 18th, 2009, 4:22 pm

It's 'cause Quantum rocks ;)
SisMorphine

Return to Nutrition & Health