Vacuums

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby SisMorphine » April 16th, 2006, 4:26 pm

The house I live in now has the most HORRIBLE and antiquated central vac system I've ever come across. I get more done when I sweep. Ugh. So I decided that I need to suck it up (pun not intended but a damn good bonus) and spend my hard earned money on a vacuum.

Well I checked in comsumer reports and even though people on all of my doggy-related boards have the Dyson Animal vac, it's rated in the 20's. In fact only one of the Dysons is in the top 10 (#9) and it's $500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The brand that dominated the top of the list was Kenmore, I forget which one (left the CR mag at my parent's house) and is around $300.

Either way, I just feel like vacs are disgustingly over-priced. I could get a decent sized tattoo for that money!!! Is there anyone out there who may know more about vacs who can explain the absurd prices?
Last edited by SisMorphine on April 16th, 2006, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » April 16th, 2006, 4:53 pm

No, but I got this one for about $60 at Walmart, it works pretty good.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=4012002
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 16th, 2006, 5:08 pm

My husband swears by his Kirby. It actually is very nice. I think they're fairly pricey, but they'll last forever.
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 16th, 2006, 5:08 pm

And I should have added it's the only thing that's successful in removing pet hair from the furniture and carpet. And since we're lazy and don't vacuum as often as we should, it's successful in removing GROUND IN pet hair. :oops:
pitbullmamaliz

Postby SisMorphine » April 16th, 2006, 5:14 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:No, but I got this one for about $60 at Walmart, it works pretty good.

Does it do carpet AND hardwood? My house is mostly hardwood with an area rug in the livingroom and diningroom.

pitbullmamaliz wrote:My husband swears by his Kirby. It actually is very nice. I think they're fairly pricey, but they'll last forever.

I think that Kirby either topped the list or was at the near-top and was $1,000 . . . seriously, for that money, I would get more tattoos.

Clean house vs. body art: Can you tell where my priorities are?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby girlie » April 16th, 2006, 5:17 pm

The dyson vac for animal hair is totally worth the money!! I have rugs over hardwood and works extremely well on each, my AC system sucks, and with the dog and cat and two kids....this vac ROCKS!!!!

edited to add: I was freaked out by the price of the dyson and bought a less expensive vac, and i burned out the motor on it within a year and when they told the cost to replace the motor, it was nearly as much as a new vac......
Last edited by girlie on April 16th, 2006, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby Asta » April 16th, 2006, 5:24 pm

I am always fond of the Electrolux Oxygen series :) Its not one of those upright beasties, but a smoothly rolling veeeery stylish looking vacuum! It does both hardwood and rugs and comes with a fantastic filtrationsystem and ergonoimcally correct umm handle (not sure what the english word is) :)

Cheers,

Asa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby Sue » April 16th, 2006, 5:28 pm

We had the Dyson animal, but it took an unfortunate tumble down the stairs and it just wasn't the same... THANKS PEPPER :evil:

I just broke down and bought another one. Both were from amazon.com, both were refurbished models that came with a 6 month warranty. The suction on these things are AMAZING! They are easy to empty, the bottoms drop out, so you just have to hold it over the garbage and they have a washable filter. They are also really easy to take apart, so if you ever suck something up that you shouldn't, it's really easy to find the blockage. I also have carpet and laminate floors and it works great on all of them. If I've been a bit lazy with dusting, I'll use one of the attachments to remove it before I polish.

All the dysons are the same, the only difference between the animal, full gear, the yellow one etc, are the attachments that come with it. This is the one I got, free shipping and $25 off on amazon - $275 after all the discounts.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068 ... &n=1055398
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby cheekymunkee » April 16th, 2006, 5:50 pm

SisMorphine wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:No, but I got this one for about $60 at Walmart, it works pretty good.

Does it do carpet AND hardwood? My house is mostly hardwood with an area rug in the livingroom and diningroom.

pitbullmamaliz wrote:My husband swears by his Kirby. It actually is very nice. I think they're fairly pricey, but they'll last forever.

I think that Kirby either topped the list or was at the near-top and was $1,000 . . . seriously, for that money, I would get more tattoos.

Clean house vs. body art: Can you tell where my priorities are?

It does do floors as well as carpet. I do't use it on my floors though, it's easier for me to sweep.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Purple » April 16th, 2006, 7:28 pm

Sears also sells refurbished models in their stores....and if it is the Dyson you want, do what Sue did, go on Amazon and get the refurbished one.
Purple
I live here

Postby bullymommy » April 17th, 2006, 3:34 am

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_9/602-3622245-0739041?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000BNMAB8

this is the one that we have and i love it love it love it!!!!!

it does hardwoods and laminate as well as different depths of carpet!!!
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Purple » April 17th, 2006, 6:50 am

I think they all suck......
Purple
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 17th, 2006, 7:44 am

Purple wrote:I think they all suck......

Har dee har har har!

:rolleyes2:
pitbullmamaliz

Postby Maryellen » April 17th, 2006, 7:55 am

i have the yellow dyson and a eureka.. both work great..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Marinepits » April 17th, 2006, 8:51 am

I ADORE my Dyson -- works wonders on all my carpets and the hardwood floors!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby call2arms » April 17th, 2006, 1:22 pm

I have an old Electrolux Revolution...
Never vacuumed with a Dyson, but I know all Electrolux works very well and will last for years, my dad had his previous one for 20 years... And the price is reasonable.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Return to Off-Topic