My dog ate a rabbit!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby msvette2u » April 16th, 2006, 3:27 pm

A chocolate one that is.
Copper is at it again. The kids forgot to put up their Easter baskets and he ate one of the most expensive ones in there!! $5.00 for a 6oz. chocolate bunny.
It is milk chocolate. Not enough to harm him? I can't find the article about chocolate and dogs. He's about 17lbs. btw.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 16th, 2006, 3:30 pm

From what I gather it is the dark & the baking chocolate that is the most dangerous. Since he is so small I would give him peroxide & make him barf it up. little snot.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » April 16th, 2006, 3:35 pm

I'd love to do that, seriously - I'm so mad at him. But last time I found out he'll only puke it up if he JUST ate it (remember the dog food incident)
Why couldn't he pick one of the Walmart bunnies!? He had to pick that gourmet chocolate thing I'd never have bought except my daughter was selling them!! Now Tyler has to split his bunny with his sister...well he didn't have to but he offered to. Bad Copper!!. :x
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » April 16th, 2006, 3:38 pm

Toxic Levels

The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

On average,
Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

Clinical Signs

Xanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs:

Hyper excitability
Hyper irritability
Increased heart rate
Restlessness
Increased urination
Muscle tremors
Vomiting
Diarrhea

Treatment

There is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.

Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.

If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet.

Happy Easter?? :|
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » April 16th, 2006, 3:44 pm

Thank you so much. If it had been dark chocolate we'd be in trouble. I think he'll be ok.

If I don't murder him first ;)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 16th, 2006, 3:45 pm

msvette2u wrote:I'd love to do that, seriously - I'm so mad at him. But last time I found out he'll only puke it up if he JUST ate it (remember the dog food incident)
Why couldn't he pick one of the Walmart bunnies!? He had to pick that gourmet chocolate thing I'd never have bought except my daughter was selling them!! Now Tyler has to split his bunny with his sister...well he didn't have to but he offered to. Bad Copper!!. :x

He has good taste in chocolate! ANd what a good brother tyler is to share his bunny. My brothers would have just eaten it in front of me.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » April 16th, 2006, 8:26 pm

msvette2u wrote:Thank you so much. If it had been dark chocolate we'd be in trouble. I think he'll be ok.

If I don't murder him first ;)

No problem . . . glad he's o.k. :)

I keep the info. on hand because between Valentine's Day and Easter, it's a yearly event. Every year I hope my guys don't get into the chocholate, but try as you may, they always find a way, don't they?? :twisted:
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Purple » April 16th, 2006, 8:32 pm

Good info, a-bull!!!
Purple
I live here

Postby Purple » April 16th, 2006, 8:54 pm

Purple
I live here

Postby Marinepits » April 17th, 2006, 8:55 am

a-bull wrote:Toxic Levels

The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

On average,
Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

Clinical Signs

Xanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs:

Hyper excitability
Hyper irritability
Increased heart rate
Restlessness
Increased urination
Muscle tremors
Vomiting
Diarrhea

Treatment

There is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.

Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.

If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet.

Happy Easter?? :|

Good info -- thanks for posting this.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SisMorphine » April 17th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Mods can we do a sticky for the chocolate info??
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby msvette2u » April 17th, 2006, 12:39 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Mods can we do a sticky for the chocolate info??

That's a good idea, since I panic every time and couldn't find the info!
Oh, btw, we ended up finding about 1/4 of the rabbit UNDER the couch which we couldn't figure out how it got there, we surmised Copper heard us pull up and wanted to hide the evidence so he shoved it under there as far as he could.
So he didn't ingest as much as we thought but he still ruined it, my daughter didn't want to eat it after it had the hair on it and tooth marks all over it :|
msvette2u
I live here

Postby turtle » April 17th, 2006, 5:15 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Mods can we do a sticky for the chocolate info??

That's some great info!

The chart is especially useful since you need that info about the weight of the dog and the toxicity of the chocolate. I knew the milk is not as toxic as the dark chocolate but I did not know that the Baker's chocolate was even stronger. It makes sense though, milk chocolate is the mildest one and Baker's will knock you for a loop if you try to eat it straight!

Yes, it would be a good "Sticky" to have up there.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 17th, 2006, 5:16 pm

I am running it past the others now. :)

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby bullymommy » April 17th, 2006, 6:43 pm

Purple wrote:Image

i love that!!!!!

that was nice of tyler to share i would have just eaten it in front of my sister!!!! (shes a bitch anyway so anything mean i did to her was deserved)
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby a-bull » April 17th, 2006, 8:15 pm

That info. is from a site, but I just have the info. saved.

I can try to find it if you Mods. need the link . . .
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Jesseca » April 18th, 2006, 1:38 pm

Geez, Copper is at it again huh? He's going to be pushing 20lbs soon if he doesn't stop. :D
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby bullymommy » April 18th, 2006, 6:35 pm

Jesseca wrote:Geez, Copper is at it again huh? He's going to be pushing 20lbs soon if he doesn't stop. :D

and its all going to be in his ass!!! LOL
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby msvette2u » April 18th, 2006, 7:51 pm

:yum:

:piggy:

:sumo:

:fastRoll:
msvette2u
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health