Will it really work?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby katiek0417 » January 14th, 2009, 10:43 pm

Okay, so I've had a really hard time with Nemo and weight...giardia...add to that the fact that he does the malinois spin in his crate most of the day...well...

Anyway, Michelle suggested satin balls...

So, Greg and I are going to make a batch tomorrow...but we're going to feed it as his regular food (I was doing some research and it said we could do that)...

So, here's my question, will it work?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby LMM » January 14th, 2009, 10:47 pm

What are satin balls?
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby katiek0417 » January 14th, 2009, 10:48 pm

LMM wrote:What are satin balls?

There are several threads on the board about them...but here is the recipe:

http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby LMM » January 14th, 2009, 10:53 pm

Holy cow, that looks like a big batch! I'm off to look up some threads....
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby katiek0417 » January 14th, 2009, 10:55 pm

LMM wrote:Holy cow, that looks like a big batch! I'm off to look up some threads....

You don't feed it all at once lol

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby LMM » January 14th, 2009, 10:58 pm

I know that! LOL At first I thought I was reading the recipe for BARF burgers lol
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby BullyLady » January 14th, 2009, 11:01 pm

Well without any bone he's going to have a SERIOUS case of the splats. Other than that, yea it will work. I would throw some chicken quarters in there as well, and then as maintenance try half kibble half raw. I'm not kidding, raw is a lifesaver for hard keepers like Sirius and Nemo. :)
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby SisMorphine » January 14th, 2009, 11:03 pm

I have used Satin Balls with success, in addition to puppy food, with one of my skinny fosters. Speaking of, you may want to consider feeding puppy food to Nemo since it is calorically more dense than regular adult. I may also look into foods with a high quality grain, like millet, to help put on weight.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » January 14th, 2009, 11:10 pm

Did you look into "Hair on a Doorknob" as well? That made Riggs into a little porker with a fantastic coat.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » January 14th, 2009, 11:26 pm

BullyLady wrote:Well without any bone he's going to have a SERIOUS case of the splats. Other than that, yea it will work. I would throw some chicken quarters in there as well, and then as maintenance try half kibble half raw. I'm not kidding, raw is a lifesaver for hard keepers like Sirius and Nemo. :)

Well, he's on raw now...K9 Kraving with extra fat...and we've had no luck...but when Michelle suggested this...I figure it couldn't hurt...

But, yeah, he is like Sirius...it's so hard to get weight on Nemo! Thank you for the suggestion of adding chicken quarters, I will do that...

SisMorphine wrote:I have used Satin Balls with success, in addition to puppy food, with one of my skinny fosters. Speaking of, you may want to consider feeding puppy food to Nemo since it is calorically more dense than regular adult. I may also look into foods with a high quality grain, like millet, to help put on weight.

Do you have any suggestions for food? I always stick to grain free, so I'm not that familiar with foods containing millet...

We tried the puppy food - no success; however, we haven't tried it since he was treated for giardia...

mnp13 wrote:Did you look into "Hair on a Doorknob" as well? That made Riggs into a little porker with a fantastic coat.

I'm afraid of not following the recipe (i.e., using cashew butter instead of peanut butter)...do you think it would still work if we use cashew butter? Does anyone know if cashews are bad for dogs?

Why do I have this awful feeling of deja vu? Oh, wait, yeah, that's right, I had weight problems with Cy! lol :rolleyes2:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby katiek0417 » January 14th, 2009, 11:27 pm

LMM wrote:I know that! LOL At first I thought I was reading the recipe for BARF burgers lol

I thought I'd point it out lol

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby mnp13 » January 14th, 2009, 11:52 pm

I think cashew butter would be just as good, it's all healthy fats. You use the natural stuff that separates, not the homogenized kinds.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » January 15th, 2009, 1:11 am

Yes, they'll work. I have yet to have Satin Balls fail (well, one case...but that's still out for testing)

Here's my site with the Satin Balls recipe...I copied it to my site, so I couldn't lose it...it's half and quarter batches. :)

http://www.red-rover.biz/ripleysrecipes ... cipes.html

I just made some Satin Balls a few months ago to get some weight back on Score fast, he just dropped a ton all of a sudden. Within days, he was gaining weight.

They're balanced...and have so much fiber and such, that they rarely get diarrhea from them.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby katiek0417 » January 15th, 2009, 7:42 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Yes, they'll work. I have yet to have Satin Balls fail (well, one case...but that's still out for testing)

Here's my site with the Satin Balls recipe...I copied it to my site, so I couldn't lose it...it's half and quarter batches. :)

http://www.red-rover.biz/ripleysrecipes ... cipes.html

I just made some Satin Balls a few months ago to get some weight back on Score fast, he just dropped a ton all of a sudden. Within days, he was gaining weight.

They're balanced...and have so much fiber and such, that they rarely get diarrhea from them.

We're making a batch tonight and we're giong to start feeding it! I can't wait for it to work...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby fenella » January 15th, 2009, 8:42 pm

I have a batch in my fridge and a batch in my freezer. Murphy lost a lot of weight on his meds...I noticed a difference within a couple of days feeding 4-5 large meatball-sized pieces in addition to his regular food. He is back to eating his kibble again now, too. It seems the satin balls have stimulated his appetite (that or the meds are finally out of his system)
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » January 15th, 2009, 8:45 pm

I have had only one dog turn their nose up at Satin Balls, it does appear to kick-start the appetite also...

They stink...but the dogs love that.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby katiek0417 » January 15th, 2009, 8:47 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:I have had only one dog turn their nose up at Satin Balls, it does appear to kick-start the appetite also...

They stink...but the dogs love that.

I haven't had any trouble with his appetite...he puts down all the food you put in front of him LOL

He's on K9 Kraving with extra fat (16% protein and 16% fat) but he's not putting on weight

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Rolex+Deebo » January 15th, 2009, 11:31 pm

After Rolex lost 20lbs when I almost lost him, I tried everything, but couldn't get him to gain weight!
These did the trick!!
PR Top Line's Inna White Tee CGC ~aka~ ♥Rolex♥
Deebo ~aka~ Slobber Monkey
Scahill's Goddess Of Light CGC TDI ~aka~ Ziva

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TinaMartin » January 16th, 2009, 9:30 am

katiek0417 wrote:I'm afraid of not following the recipe (i.e., using cashew butter instead of peanut butter)...do you think it would still work if we use cashew butter? Does anyone know if cashews are bad for dogs?

Why do I have this awful feeling of deja vu? Oh, wait, yeah, that's right, I had weight problems with Cy! lol :rolleyes2:

I use cashew butter with Gator it works just fine.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby maberi » January 16th, 2009, 10:07 am

Never had them fail me either and the dogs LOVE them
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health