Idiot Vet Tech

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 13th, 2009, 11:12 am

I went to the vet last night with one of my friends because she takes all 3 of her dogs in at one time for nail trims, so I go to help. Her one dog (the biggest, of course - a pit/rott mix) is an absolute train wreck when it comes to nail trims. I usually grab her back end, the vet tech is in the middle, and my friend holds her head so if Echo starts biting my friend will be the only one bitten (she hasn't ever bitten, but I think it's coming). She's about 60 lbs, and she feels it when she's struggling.

So the vet tech last night is brand-new and having a lot of trouble holding onto Echo. The vet is getting frustrated and telling her "hold her here," "no, move your arm up," "no, do this..." just non-stop. Finally her nails are trimmed, no thanks to the tech.

My friend and I went to grab dinner afterwards and she told me that as she was paying, the tech said to her, "I'm excited I get to go into my class tomorrow and tell them I pinned down a vicious pit bull all by myself! It was like trying to hold a tiger!" If I had heard it I sooo would have said something, both to the tech and the vet.

Next time I go in there, would I be out of line to tell the vet that I don't want that tech anywhere near Inara? She's incompetent and obviously ignorant about the breed. And there are always two vet techs on duty, so there would be another one who could help. Would that be over-reacting?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » January 13th, 2009, 11:18 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Next time I go in there, would I be out of line to tell the vet that I don't want that tech anywhere near Inara?

Nope, not at all. If you're not comfortable with her, Inara may pick up on that and who knows how the visit will go from there.

I would tell the vet exactly why you don't want her around, too.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SisMorphine » January 13th, 2009, 11:19 am

Frankly I would call and speak with the office manager, just expressing your concerns at how inappropriate you found the comment to be, and how you would appreciate it if a note was made on your personal file that said Tech is not allowed anywhere near your dog. You don't have to be bitchy about it, just state it very matter of factly. The office manager will be more likely to take it as constructive criticism and not as a full on attack of the entire facility.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » January 13th, 2009, 11:20 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Next time I go in there, would I be out of line to tell the vet that I don't want that tech anywhere near Inara? She's incompetent and obviously ignorant about the breed. And there are always two vet techs on duty, so there would be another one who could help. Would that be over-reacting?

I don't think it's out of line at all. What if she gets scratched, or something worse? If she's like that already it could very easily turn into an "attack"
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » January 13th, 2009, 11:31 am

I agree....you should have a choice regarding who touches your dogs and who doesn't. I have made it very clear that there's a particular vet tech that I don't want around my dogs (she's not that smart when it comes to dogs, and gets down on the ground at eye level with them then wraps her arms around them to hug them).

I think you would be saving yourself a lot of trouble if you just avoided her.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 13th, 2009, 11:34 am

Thanks all. I just don't want to be the melodramatic, high-maintenance client. But part of the reason I love my vet and her staff is that they adore the bully breeds. I sent them one of Inara's Christmas cards and it's hanging up at the front desk. As is the pic of her and her brother I sent them after they euthed Atlas. They adore Inara.

I don't anticipate that chick lasting long, but I'm glad to know I won't be out of line asking them to keep her the hell away from my dog.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

pitbullmamaliz

Postby blabsforbullies » January 13th, 2009, 10:27 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Frankly I would call and speak with the office manager, just expressing your concerns at how inappropriate you found the comment to be, and how you would appreciate it if a note was made on your personal file that said Tech is not allowed anywhere near your dog. You don't have to be bitchy about it, just state it very matter of factly. The office manager will be more likely to take it as constructive criticism and not as a full on attack of the entire facility.

Agreed. :wink: If it were one of my staff, I would want to know so that I can correct the behavior immediately. >( I have clients that have had issue with certain staff members, and I do all that I can to make sure that the repeat situation doesn't happen again. :neutral:

Not to mention that making inflammatory statements about patients is the quickest way to lose a client. :mad2: Sure, I have patients that I am not thrilled about seeing on the schedule, but that doesn't mean that they don't deserve the respect and attention that they require. :mrgreen:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby cheekymunkee » January 13th, 2009, 10:31 pm

Go back tomorrow & kick her in the ovaries
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby LMM » January 13th, 2009, 10:32 pm

I agree with all of the above! You absolutely would not be out of line.

Punching her in the face, as I would want to do, is another story ;)
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby LMM » January 13th, 2009, 10:32 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Go back tomorrow & kick her in the ovaries

Whew! Someone else is on the same page as me :oops:
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby call2arms » January 14th, 2009, 12:05 am

Someone needs to be educated big time.

Like by getting eaten by a "nonthreatening" dog breed. Or, as suggested, by a swift kick in the reproductive parts, hopefully that would keep her from creating more idiots.

I would definitely speak in a civilized manner to whoever is in charge of the staff, especially since you say they usually love bully breeds, they would probably give her some poo for saying stuff like that directly to a client, and also for being a brainless twat.

She needs to meet Jessie, last time I brought her to class she whipped the other student's face with her happy tail when she was inserting the thermomether. Vicious tiger.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby TheRedQueen » January 14th, 2009, 12:07 am

LMM wrote:Punching her in the face, as I would want to do, is another story ;)

I relayed the story to John, and this was his exact plan also...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Hoyden » January 14th, 2009, 12:11 am

Our old vet used on of his vet tech's reaction to Petey as a period of instruction.

The look on that guy's face when I shoved my hand into Petey's mouth to stop him from barking was priceless. :D
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby madremissy » January 14th, 2009, 1:15 am

The was a doctor at my vet who I refused to let touch my animals. >( Yes, I did let it be known and said it everytime I came in.
He totally mishandled my cat a long time ago and I made it known to the office manager. :cuss: She really did appreciate me letting her know. After many years I was told that others had problems to and finally said something even though it was about the doctor. He was bought out by the other two in house vets and I love each of them.
One of the doctor's was very good with Precious, Sweet Pea and Sammy but I could tell when I took Kinzyl for her first visits he didn't seem comfortable. I could even tell by Kinzyl then. She was very shy when I got her and was very nervous around men anyway. I was totally honest with him and mentioned my feelings. He didn't agree that he was uncomfortable but mentioned that one of the other doctors had bully breeds of her own and suggested that he let her come in and see if Kinzyl and I were more comfortable.
She did and Kinzyl changed her demeanor immediately. :dance: I have been going to her for Kinzyl ever since. BUT, I still love the other doctor and he still sees Sammy. :D
I guess the moral of my story is to be honest and let your vet know how you feel. Inara is your pet and I believe you have a very big say in who comes in contact with her.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 28th, 2009, 3:11 pm

Took Inara to the vet today for her rabies shot, poop test and heartworm test. Guess who no longer works there?

:dance:

ETA: Inara is down to 46 lbs - she was 59 lbs this time last year. :)

pitbullmamaliz

Postby airwalk » February 28th, 2009, 3:45 pm

Yay. Good for you, taking weight off our dogs is a lot harder than letting them put it on. Scooter is back down to 68 lbs from 73 in November
airwalk
I live here

Postby CH_Venom » March 9th, 2009, 6:29 pm

Not at all IMO. There are vets/techs that I won't see at specific offices. Not even for a simple task. One was just an all out rude one, not anything to do with Pit Bulls but she was rude to most customers and $ hungry like the worst I've ever seen. She also didn't seem as educated/experienced either. She lasted about a month there. I certainly didn't want to give her any business or have her near my dogs. I always call to see who will be working or ask for a specific vet to see my dog. There is usually at least 2 there at once and a couple techs.
CH_Venom
Just Whelped

Return to Nutrition & Health