Dog Licenses

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Jenn » April 12th, 2006, 1:59 pm

I see, thanks for the info. It sounds cheaper, than I thought everyone would say. Is it a "one time only" requirement, per dog?

No, Pitcess the only thing "required" is the Rabies vacc. Technically that's not really a requirement either. :rolleyes2: If your dog is not up to date, and bites someone then they will confiscate the dog and keep it for observation for 10 days or something like that. Then if it shows no signs, I believe you can take it home or opt to have it put to sleep? The cat had to have hers as well, I was told that if the cat was to bite someone without a Rabies vacc. then they will confiscate your cat and cut it's head off to test for rabies. :shock: Otherwise, you can have 20 dogs rotting in your yard or roaming the streets, and no one will say anything or do anything to you. Nothing is required..... :( (sorry to ramble)
Jenn
undecided

Postby mnp13 » April 12th, 2006, 2:04 pm

it is yearly in NY
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » April 12th, 2006, 2:07 pm

NJ its yearly too..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 12th, 2006, 2:16 pm

I was warned for not having my dogs licensed when we moved here. They were licensed at the old address, but you have to relicense them when you move to another county. They went door to door, and when they knocked on ours there were three dogs standing in the window. Rabies vaccines are mandatory for many states

Of course, Tess was living across the street from the town hall, literally, and did not have a rabies shot nor was spayed nor licensed, and they never got caught. :|
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby rockermom » April 12th, 2006, 3:13 pm

Ok I just found out in my county it liscence expires when rabies shot does. Which means if you got the shot 8 mos ago liscense is only good for 4 mos and you pay the same fee.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » April 15th, 2006, 10:38 am

Licenses are mandatory. I get them renewed for $10 every year. I filled out the paperwork for Maggie as an APBT, but the woman typed AmStaff into the computer :|
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby a-bull » April 15th, 2006, 11:10 am

Romanwild wrote:Everyone will have a different opinion on this, I'm sure.

Mine are both licensed a APBT's.

My logic is that hiding my breed adds to the perception that they are dangerous. I refuse to call them anything other then what they are.

If BSL comes to my city or county I will fight. If I lose then I will move. As simple a that. :|

If you call it anything other then pit bull it does not mean you will be safe. A lot of places (ONT) says anything that looks like a pit bull. :rolleyes2:

Right on . . . . I agree with the above post word for word.

Mine are licensed as what they are and are listed on my homeowners as what they are.

I don't know the deal regarding different states, but if you have any incident regarding your dog and you've lied about what it is, you and your dog will already have one strike against you when it comes to your town, animal control, etc.

Regarding homeowners, I don't get why people list their dogs as another breed in order to acquire homeowners, becasue not only is it insurance fraud, but if you have any incident with your dog, your homeowners will just flat out deny coverage when they find out your breed is something other than what you listed it as.

On a real basic level, I think any deception regarding the breed just adds to the issues we already have owning bullies.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » April 15th, 2006, 11:15 am

Oh, and most places that have bsl include "pitbulls", Bull Terriers, pit mixes, and any bully breed or "mix" that they determine constitutes a "pitbull" . . . just an fyi . . .
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » April 15th, 2006, 12:51 pm

Yay! A topic I know something about!
Jen, the license is a mandatory thing and there's a tag you put on the dog's collar.
Where I live, and worked for the past three years up until they eliminated my position :rolleyes2: you are required to purchase a license. It is a means of identifying your dog if it gets picked up by animal control. It also helps offset the expense of HAVING animal control :) There is also a copy of the license form that you should have on hand should you or the dog lose the tag that goes on the collar. The cost here is less for a s/n dog and more for one that isn't fixed.
If I picked up a dog that had no license, especially if I warned them already to get one, they got a ticket for not having a license and usually a dog-at-large ticket too. Our tickets were each $100.00. So that's $200.00 that could have been averted by purchasing the license.
I love responsible pet owners. But overall the dogs picked up were not the licensed ones (because the owners were more responsible!).
On our forms at the city, there's a spot to write the breed. I would get po'ed at the city gals who filled out the forms (that was not my job) because they would write "mix" in the blank and it's like...OK...it's a "mix"...is it SHORT or tall? Long hair or short?? DUH...give me a bit more description than that! :rolleyes2:
Our pit bull legislation was rewritten to allow pit bulls if owners got insurance and proper kennels, etc.
Our licensing procedure also made it an infraction to lie on the license application. Your licensing procedures may be similar. In that case - it's better to be honest since fudging on the app. could have negative financial consequences.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby AllAmericanPUP » April 15th, 2006, 1:20 pm

i never had to worry about licensing my dogs 'cause its not required where i live now in IL.

but when i move to WI here in about a mont i have to register my dogs with the county, $10 for spayed/neutered dogs, and it has to be renewed yearly.
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby a-bull » April 15th, 2006, 2:35 pm

msvette2u wrote:Yay! A topic I know something about!
Jen, the license is a mandatory thing and there's a tag you put on the dog's collar.
Where I live, and worked for the past three years up until they eliminated my position :rolleyes2: you are required to purchase a license. It is a means of identifying your dog if it gets picked up by animal control. It also helps offset the expense of HAVING animal control :) There is also a copy of the license form that you should have on hand should you or the dog lose the tag that goes on the collar. The cost here is less for a s/n dog and more for one that isn't fixed.
If I picked up a dog that had no license, especially if I warned them already to get one, they got a ticket for not having a license and usually a dog-at-large ticket too. Our tickets were each $100.00. So that's $200.00 that could have been averted by purchasing the license.
I love responsible pet owners. But overall the dogs picked up were not the licensed ones (because the owners were more responsible!).
On our forms at the city, there's a spot to write the breed. I would get po'ed at the city gals who filled out the forms (that was not my job) because they would write "mix" in the blank and it's like...OK...it's a "mix"...is it SHORT or tall? Long hair or short?? DUH...give me a bit more description than that! :rolleyes2:
Our pit bull legislation was rewritten to allow pit bulls if owners got insurance and proper kennels, etc.
Our licensing procedure also made it an infraction to lie on the license application. Your licensing procedures may be similar. In that case - it's better to be honest since fudging on the app. could have negative financial consequences.

Nice info. . . . :)
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Asta » April 16th, 2006, 5:32 pm

Guinness was registered in Toronto as an APBT. In Sweden that is not a registered breed according to the Swedish kennel club, dorks...So she is an AmStaff here :|
I have her registered both with the Agricultural ministry (by law) and also at the kennel club because thats where most people with report lost dogs.
Her canadian microchip works just fine here :)

Cheers,

Asa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby greenkozi » April 17th, 2006, 2:09 pm

as stupid as it sounds, part of why your dog may not be accurately represented on his license is because of the software most shelters use. if your breed isn't included in the choice of breeds, we (the people licensing) have to pick something close (i.e.- no staffy bull? american staffordshire must be close enough, right? no phalene? papillon is close enough, right?)

i don't work in a BSL area, but i can tell you that licenses here are mainly just a way to a) help fund a seriously underfunded county department and b) make sure that we keep track of which dogs are altered and up to date on rabies vaccines. the dog does not need to wear his rabies tag, but he does need to wear his lic (which says he has a current rabies shot). our county has mandatory s/n for ALL breeds, and lic's are $20 for altered dogs and $40 for unaltered animals, plus a yearly $15 application for a Unaltered Animal Certificate, which must be approved. this price differential is an incentive to speuter, obviously!

we do ticket for failure to lic, and failure to s/n. and a few months ago we had a canvassing program where 4 people went door to door selling licenses. most people just took the applications or slammed the door in these nice folks faces, but it is the law to have a license. some places you get your lic through animal control, like in my county, some places at the town hall, etc. i guess i'm part of the system, but i say, do it, and do it accurately. :|

i also see many pit bulls who are lic'd as other things, but in my experience, these are the same kind of people who own bullies and call them "ridgeback/labs" or "boxer/labs", so i am not sure it's intent to confuse or true confusion.

sorry for the rambling!
greenkozi
Just Whelped

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk