Hi from Ontario, Canada...home of the Pit bull Ban BOO HISS

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby Conners » January 21st, 2006, 4:35 am

My name is Conners and I have a WONDERFUL 3 yr. old APBT named Shasta that I totally adore! Prior to Shasta becoming restricted, I was in the process of having her trained to be a certified Therapy Dog for St. John Ambulance Therapy Dog Program to give back to seniors and sick kids, some of what she has given to me. But because of Bill 132, those that were going through the training or in the program were withdrawn because of their breed.
I took her to a small town Seniors Home that didn't require the certification that some homes and hospitals require. She drew the seniors in and they loved our visits, especially the local retired dog catcher of the town that couldn't believe when I told him about the ban on Pit bulls soon to come at that point.
I, myself am disabled with multi health problems and phobia's. I did not go out to get a dog, let alone an APBT. It seemed as if the two of us were fated to be together.
For one, because of my disabilities and nerve damage, I never thought I would be able to handle such a strong dog and never even considered it, along with my old dog, Bunny had died after 20 years, 3 years previously and I vowed I'd never get my heart broken like that again. But...instead, she came to me as a favor to a young couple with a young child and a new-born to house train and train for gentleness because of the kids. To make a long story short, their hands were full with the children and work and by this time the pup and I had worked, bonded (though I tried to deny it because I knew I would have to give her up) and through all this, they asked me if I would like to keep her. She had become my life and got me outside and around people that I had phobia's with. She got me to enjoy being around people and as long as she was by my side, I had nothing to fear. I don't mean in a nasty fear, but fear as in phobias.
We started going further and I taught her how to pull wagons and sleds to pull my groceries home from the store. We took out the garbage to the bins in the same way. She wakes me in such a pleasant way when I need up. She is not allowed to bark unless someone is at the door to let me know, so she learnt how to say, 'Mom'. She can say it clearly now and people on the phone often mistake her for a child when they hear her.
Yet, the government banned them all the same and now she must always be on a leash and muzzle when out in public.
In the Dog Leash Free Parks, she must be leashed and muzzled at all times, which at first the city would not even allow them to enter.
She has no backyard as I live in an apartment on the first floor. She has nowhere to run because of the leash, but I do get her out in the summer when I ride my bike and she gets good exercise then. (Yet another accomplishment I would never of thought possible before her).
The government treats the dogs and the responsible owners like criminals and you feel like they are waiting for us to slip up. Both Shasta and I have been in the news several times and in our local newspaper for my stand against the city bylaws of their proposed Pit bull bylaws and Shasta outside City Hall promoting the positive side of Pit bulls and her use as my (uncertified due to her breed) Service Dog.
We are currently taking the Canine Good Neighbor course to photocopy our certificates to the government once we have completed and passed, to show them how well manners and behaved and in control our dogs are and not what the media has portrayed our dogs as.
We have Clayton Ruby as our lawyer that we are trying to make amendments to the DOLA to responsible owners of ALL breeds in Ontario. NO BSL! Responsible ownership and education along with other amendments we are asking for.
I also have one cat, Petu as my BrandyCat just passed away Jan. 18th after giving me 22 wonderful years with him, so I'm not passed the grieving stage.
Petu was a 1 year old rescue that I saved from Northern Ontario as the owner was going to drop him off in a blueberry bush to fend for himseld in late fall. He is now 12 years old.
My human family are a an adult son and daughter out on their own and I have two grandsons, 3 and 6.
Probably a lot more than anyone needs to know. :wink:
Conners
Just Whelped

Postby annieinpa » January 21st, 2006, 5:04 am

Hello and Welcome to the crew!!! :)
annieinpa
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » January 21st, 2006, 9:29 am

Hello and welcome!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Romanwild » January 21st, 2006, 11:57 am

Nice bio! :D
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Purple » January 21st, 2006, 12:38 pm

Hello and Welcome! Great Intro!
Purple
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 21st, 2006, 12:53 pm

HELLOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad you were able to make it!

Welcome!

Conners emailed me after visiting Ruby's website, and I told he about us! YAY!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby panda » January 21st, 2006, 3:32 pm

Welcome, Conners. You have come to a good place.
Dead Dog Walking Pit Bull Rescue
http://deaddogwalkingpitbullrescue.org/
panda
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » January 21st, 2006, 3:57 pm

Hi! Welcome!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Marinepits » January 21st, 2006, 7:14 pm

Welcome, welcome! Great work with Shasta!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Conners » January 22nd, 2006, 12:51 am

Talk about a friendly welcome! Thank you all so much and special thanks to Michelle for inviting me.
Conners
Just Whelped

Postby CinderDee » January 22nd, 2006, 1:12 am

Welcome, Conners! :D
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby turtle » January 22nd, 2006, 2:14 am

Hi! Welcome!
turtle
Loyally Bully

Return to Introductions