Malnurished Akita Needs Help (NH)

Postby SisMorphine » January 7th, 2009, 2:01 pm

This is an email I recieved:

Hello,

To whomever may be able to help me at Akita Rescue of Western New York. My name is Sue Paradis and I am the animal control officer in Rochester, NH. We picked up a dog yesterday afternoon that is in poor condition. She does have a microchip from Hunt Kennel, but it was never registered. We were able to find out she is a fawn and white Akita born 10/25/00. She was sold to the "Debbie's Pet Land" pet store chain. They do not keep records longer than 6 years so we have no way to track the microchip. We are still checking with area Vets and shelters to see if anyone reported the dog as missing. Possibly as long as 2 years ago.

She came in with a body temperature of 93 degrees which the Vet staff has gotten up to normal. She is severely dehydrated and has already gone through three bags of fluid and is on her fourth. We will be doing blood work tomorrow to check on heartworm and organ values. She also does have mange. We will start to treat her more aggressively tomorrow after the blood results come back.

The staff have named her "Wish".

Do you have any place she can go when her time is up here? We only hold normally for seven days. She obviously will not be ready to go to the local shelter here for placement at that time. If you cannot help do you know of another Akita rescue or region I could contact for help?

Thank you for reading this and considering helping Wish.

Sincerely,
Sue Paradis
Animal Control Officer
Rochester NH Police Dept
23 Wakefield Street
Rochester, NH 03867
603-330-7122 (direct)
603-330-7128 (dispatch)

"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby KJS » January 7th, 2009, 2:28 pm

GOOD GRIEF!...what an awful sight to see...how much can they help her in just 7 days I wonder :? ..and will it be enough?....sometimes...just sometimes...do we as humans not have to question if it would be better to let the old lady go peacefully to a better place?
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » January 7th, 2009, 2:29 pm

KJS wrote:GOOD GRIEF!...what an awful sight to see...how much can they help her in just 7 days I wonder :? ..and will it be enough?....sometimes...just sometimes...do we as humans not have to question if it would be better to let the old lady go peacefully to a better place?

Well I think their point is that they CAN'T sufficiently help her in 7 days and they're trying to find a rescue who has the resources to keep her while she is recouping.

And I don't know her case, but quite often is is better to let them go. For now I will give this the benefit of the doubt and try to help.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby Marinepits » January 7th, 2009, 2:30 pm

KJS wrote:do we as humans not have to question if it would be better to let the old lady go peacefully to a better place?

I agree. That poor dog. :cry:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby KJS » January 7th, 2009, 2:36 pm

Well I think their point is that they CAN'T sufficiently help her

You see thats why I am saying it...if they realise now at this early stage that what they can do for her in 7 short days is never going to be enough and they are appealing for help on the net to find somewhere else its obvious thay dont have a resource lined up for her...in a way im also thinking of thier heartache when the time comes up and no one else will take on such a far gone( and older) case..its very sad indeed for all concerned :(
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » January 7th, 2009, 2:41 pm

KJS wrote:
Well I think their point is that they CAN'T sufficiently help her

You see thats why I am saying it...if they realise now at this early stage that what they can do for her in 7 short days is never going to be enough and they are appealing for help on the net to find somewhere else its obvious thay dont have a resource lined up for her...in a way im also thinking of thier heartache when the time comes up and no one else will take on such a far gone( and older) case..its very sad indeed for all concerned :(

I think in certain breeds there tends to be a higher number of people wanting to take on seniors, and I've found both Greyhound and Akita rescue to be amongst those.

THEY cannot help her in 7 days. But they are going to help her for 7 days and try to find another rescue who can help her beyond that. I really don't see the issue. :|

Especially since in the email it says she's already started to improve.
SisMorphine

Postby KJS » January 7th, 2009, 2:48 pm

I didnt realise I was making it an issue as such...I was just commenting personally on your post and generalising on how I felt about the situation as a whole...

excuse me
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » January 7th, 2009, 2:58 pm

They may legally be obligated to keep her for a specific amount of time before they can euthanize/release her.

Poor thing. What a heart wrenching sight.

Debby's Pet Land. :cuss: I remember them from when I lived in NH. Scummy place.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby SisMorphine » January 7th, 2009, 3:01 pm

KJS wrote:I didnt realise I was making it an issue as such...I was just commenting personally on your post and generalising on how I felt about the situation as a whole...

excuse me

I just don't see where she's that far gone. She has mange, and by far NOT the worst case I've ever seen (she may have fur loss but in that pic her skin isn't that bad). She has LD, which is common in this area and easily treated with Doxy. Her temp, which was understandably low having been a stray for so long in the sub-zero weather up here, has already come back up. Unless I'm missing something, it appears this girl has a chance at living out the rest of her life in a happy home after some recovery (and again, not insane amounts of surgery or anything, simply some basic care and recovery). I just don't understand why that's enough to sign a death certificate without at least giving it a shot, first, to see if anyone can take her??
SisMorphine

Postby TinaMartin » January 8th, 2009, 10:29 am

I for one think she should be given a chance. She looks like she is in typical shape for being a long term stray. If her overall heath besides being a stray is good then she should have a good chance. I have seen dogs that looked a lot worse than that turn out fine with good care why not her. She looks like a sweet dog.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby LMM » January 8th, 2009, 12:23 pm

Tina Martin wrote:I for one think she should be given a chance. She looks like she is in typical shape for being a long term stray. If her overall heath besides being a stray is good then she should have a good chance. I have seen dogs that looked a lot worse than that turn out fine with good care why not her. She looks like a sweet dog.

Ditto completely!

Poor girl, she makes me want to weep :( I hope someone is able to step up for her!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Moe » January 9th, 2009, 12:03 am

Kinda off topic, but here is more about Wish

A short while ago on this list, there was a discussion about the ACA
breeders standing side by side with the Hunte Corporation "breeders" in
an effort to fight PETA/ARs groups.

Well, just so you know who you stand beside, please go to:

http://akitarescuewny.com/welcome.htm

and see one of the Hunte Corporation' s own Akita's that was sold and
that they have NOT bothered to help once contacted. If I had contacted
a real BREEDER for help on an Akita they bred that ended up in this
condition, I have no doubt I'd be given all the help I would ever
need. Hunte Corporation on the other hand, very 'generously' gave out
her age & color -- nothing more, making it quite obvious they could
care less what happened to her once sold.

Say whatever you want, but if you all join forces with people like
this, they will only drag you down with them in the end to their level.

Kathy DeWees-ARWNY
You laugh because I'm different...........
I laugh cause I just farted!
Moe
The Dog Whisperererer

Postby BritneyP » January 9th, 2009, 12:07 am

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 091333.ece

Check this out to see what a little food, medication and quality care will do. :)
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby madremissy » January 9th, 2009, 12:11 am

Oh Dear Lord, look at that before picture. :shock:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby BigDogBuford » January 9th, 2009, 12:12 am

madremissy wrote:Oh Dear Lord, look at that before picture. :shock:

I wish I hadn't. :(
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby BritneyP » January 9th, 2009, 12:19 am

I know, I know... but EMBRACE the after picture! He doesn't even LOOK 12!!! :shock: :mrgreen:
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby LMM » January 9th, 2009, 9:13 am

I can only thank the heavens above that I had a beautiful after picture to look at or I might be depressed all day. Hobo looks fantastic! My heart would have broken in two if I worked at the place where he was first brought in.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby SisMorphine » February 5th, 2009, 11:12 am

I just got a lovely update on Wish. She is now in a foster home with Akita Rescue of Western New York http://www.akitarescuewny.com/

She has gained 20 pounds and her fur is growing back. I have pics, too, that I'll post when I get home from work. She looks so content :)
SisMorphine

Postby LMM » February 5th, 2009, 11:27 am

I am so happy to read this. SO happy. I really look forward to pics of Wish!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Pit♥bull » February 5th, 2009, 11:40 am

:confetti: :thumbsup:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Next

Return to Rescue