raisins - he keeps me on my toes!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Malli » January 4th, 2009, 4:48 am

so, Wes got some oatmeal raisin cookies when we went grocery shopping today.
We took the dog for a walk, then dropped him off at home. The cookies were secured on the counter (apparently - I didn't pay attention because I don't like raisins- quite far back from the edge); we went to home depot for about 20 minutes, came home, started setting up my DIY aquarium screen I just got for some frogs I'm getting, and then Wes went into the kitchen....
I hear "I'm going to kill the dog"
he ate like 10 of 12 oatmeal raisin cookies :neutral:
I call work, syringe him some HP, and watch the chunks fly :rolleyes2:

And of course, now I worry.

I keep thinking : "what if some of the cookies had already left him stomach?" "was that really all of them?"

So, does anyone know what I should watch for? I assume, Vomiting/diarrhea, PU/PD.... but when would I see this stuff?

ack. stupid dog.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Pit♥bull » January 4th, 2009, 4:53 am

This should help :) http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/McKnight-Tox_Brief-Feb_VT_05.pdf?docID=3782

Also do a Google on 'canine raisin toxicity'
Lots of info.
Last edited by Guest on January 4th, 2009, 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » January 4th, 2009, 4:59 am

thanks! :)

I'm mostly hoping to hear from other vetty people (I work in the back at an ER vet) and their knowledge/experiences :wink:

hopefully they will help soothe me!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » January 4th, 2009, 10:39 am

Oooooooo, bad Os! BAD! >(

How's he doing?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby blabsforbullies » January 4th, 2009, 1:02 pm

I would guess, although no one can know for certain as it is very unclear about the doseage :x , that he should be fine. IF, and that is a BIG IF, he actually ingested some of the raisins before you induced vomiting, it isn't likely to be much. :wink:

I always think back to the first 2 cases I saw of raisin toxicity. 2 dogs different houses, same week, both ate approx. 1.5 POUNDS of raisins. One was a Doxie (11 lbs), and one a Newfie (160 lbs). Both vomited up a "good portion" of the raisins. The Newfie died, the Doxie lived another day to get into more & more trouble, as time would tell. :crazy2: No one really understands it. It's very frustrating. :cuss: I have to think that there has to be a genetic predisposition as to which dogs will have trouble and which won't. :|

In any case, the amount of raisins in cookies, and the fact that you have made him vomit, makes me think that you should be ok here. 8) But, you know what to watch for, so if there are any signs of trouble, thankfully he has you to get him the care that he needs.

Oh Malli... by the way... I will send you a PM about the meds we were talking about before the holidays!
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby SisMorphine » January 4th, 2009, 1:28 pm

I think Os and Blue have secretly been texting each other while we sleep, trying to figure out what they can get into to give their mothers heart attacks. Damn dogs! :cuss:

Here's crossing fingers that he's okay!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby iluvk9 » January 4th, 2009, 3:17 pm

SisMorphine wrote:I think Os and Blue have secretly been texting each other while we sleep...

LMAO

I think if we had, ya know, UPDATED PHOTOS of Oscar, we would ALL feel better. :|
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby CinderDee » January 4th, 2009, 4:20 pm

iluvk9 wrote:
SisMorphine wrote:I think Os and Blue have secretly been texting each other while we sleep...

LMAO

I think if we had, ya know, UPDATED PHOTOS of Oscar, we would ALL feel better. :|

X2!

I hope he's ok, Malli!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Malli » January 4th, 2009, 4:24 pm

Marinepits wrote:Oooooooo, bad Os! BAD! >(

How's he doing?

he seems fine :| eating, no further vomiting. It was 2 dozen cookies minus 4, and thinking about it, I think we missed some. Blair (doc at work) said cooked raisins aren't as bad, and I did get him to get rid of a bunch of them...

From what I've read, I should be seeing symptoms by now, but I'll continue to watch him for a couple of days...
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Malli » January 4th, 2009, 4:28 pm

Thanks, Dr. Blabs! :)

SisMorphine wrote:I think Os and Blue have secretly been texting each other while we sleep, trying to figure out what they can get into to give their mothers heart attacks. Damn dogs! :cuss:

Here's crossing fingers that he's okay!

yes, somehow Oscar got a cellphone before me!? evil creatures.

ya, ya, we'll see about pictures ;)
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Malli » January 6th, 2009, 5:21 pm

a couple people at work mentioned a couple blood parameters, so I called Rick (or regular vet), and we tested his urine specific gravity, BUN and Creatinine. He was concentrating his urine extremely well, and the blood values were in normal range :D
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby SisMorphine » January 6th, 2009, 5:25 pm

YAY!! That is fantastic news :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Jenn » January 6th, 2009, 5:26 pm

Yay, now no more cookies!! ;)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Return to Nutrition & Health