anyone know about cat urinary tract infections??

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby blayzeingsun » January 4th, 2009, 2:18 pm

does anyone know about cat urinary tract infections?? my cat has started peeing on other surfaces outside of the littler box i have heard this is indicative of urinary tract infections does anyone have any experience with this??? Thanks in advance

Liz
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
blayzeingsun
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » January 4th, 2009, 2:32 pm

Male or female? Any changes in the house, normal daily schedule, or feeding?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby SLS61185 » January 4th, 2009, 2:37 pm

I don't. Our cat had it a few years back from eating regular cat food, and he almost died from it, because his level/vitals? dropped too low... So now he's gotta eat prescription cat food.
Stac

Today is the tomorrow that we worried about yesterday - Unknown
SLS61185
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby blabsforbullies » January 4th, 2009, 3:01 pm

Obviously I haven't seen your kitty, so it is impossible to guess what's going on thru the forum, but I thought this might help a little. :D

The three most common causes for sudden, inappropriate urination are:
1) UTI's (urniary tract infection)
2) crystaluria (having crystals in the urine because of an imbalance of the unrine pH), and
3) behavioral

Cats can have very hard to detect UTI's and can sometimes only be diagnosed with a culture of the urine. But, crystals in urine are tough too. >( They can get crystals in the urine if the pH is too high or too low, and this causes irritation in the bladder. Cats often respond by urinating in different places. These crystals are microscopic, and cannot be seen with the naked eye. The danger of these crystals is that if left untreated, they can cause a blockage and keep the kitty (most commonly males, as they have more tubing to get blocked with :neutral: ) from peeing. You will often see a kitty cry, strain, or go in/out of the box when this is happening. Also if the kitty is lethargic and/or won't eat, there could be a problem. If the kitty is unable to or is producing very little urine, it needs medical attention IMMEDIATELY, as it is a life threatening condition. :sad2:

Another risk of crystals in the urine is that they can form bladder stones. Those are dangerous for all the same reasons that crystals are. Those, in a male cat, are almost always surgical. :(

If it is behavioral, then that gets a bit complicated. Too much to be discussed here, but there are ways to treat it.

Bottom line is that the kitty probably needs an exam and a urinalysis to start with. If there is no straining and the kitty seems ok otherwise, it can likely wait until tomorrow. :) But, the sooner the better. If you can, collect the urine that has be voided on the other surfaces and refrigerate it until you can bring your cat in. If not, then try to not let the kitty go before the appointment so that the doctor can get a sample. :mrgreen:

Good luck and I hope you feline is feeling better soon! :goodthoughts:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby iluvk9 » January 4th, 2009, 3:08 pm

What she said. :giggle:

I had the same problem with Bo about a year (?) ago. He was put on Science Diet, which he refused to eat, and given Clavamox.

I also noticed he was trying to pee in places he shouldn't be, so I confined him to his cat condo until he was better. He only came out to stretch and play while supervised.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby BigDogBuford » January 4th, 2009, 5:41 pm

If it's behavioral then I highly recommend Cat Attract cat litter. It's worked really well for my cats when needed.

But I ALWAYS start with an exam and UA. I had a kitty with bladder stones that almost died with his first episode and I was able manage it successfully for many, many years.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby call2arms » January 4th, 2009, 7:18 pm

Best to go to your vet, get a urine sample analyzed to be know about crystals/bacteria, and x-rays to check for stones. This is pretty common, and generally treated easily in the case of crystals (my cat was just put on special food and no longer has them).
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 4th, 2009, 7:23 pm

The Piss got a UTI a couple years ago. I had taken her in because she was also peeing out of her box. They gave her a saline injection under the skin (the kind that makes them look like a humpy-back camel) and put her on meds. She cleared up quickly. She still occasionally peed outside the box, but that was behavioral.

They're pretty easy to fix. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby ArtGypsy » January 4th, 2009, 9:46 pm

Unfortunately, I've owned several cats who have developed UTI's or had crystals in their urine. The one true symptom I"ve always seen (which let me know there was a problem), was coming up and finding the kitty just SITTING in the box, waiting (straining?) to piddle. That's the classic sign for me.

Neutered Males seem to be more prone.........and after a urine sample and prescription cat food, we're usually on our way out the door under a hundred bucks.

The vet is beginning to suspect our bad water here in the middle of Nebraska......... :o

Jody, with a stubborn pup
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Malli » January 5th, 2009, 5:37 am

its true, few weeks back, it started snowing, one of our ER vets first comments was "I hope we have lots of unblocking supplies " ("blocked" means unable to urinate in vet-eese) :shock:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health