Getting a dog tested, hips, knees and heart...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » April 13th, 2006, 6:23 pm

crimsonandwhite wrote:not concerned on where i got it...it has a good home and that should be that...am i right??.

No, unfortunatly you are not right. The ends do not justify the means.

I paid a pretty penny for Ruby. that money went directly to a dirt bag BYB. He produces more than 7 litters a year and I helped to enable that.

Her conformation is crap, her temperament is so-so. She is a wonderful dog and I love her dearly, but that doesn't change the fact that I put money in the pocket of someone who has no interest in breeding past one thing - MONEY.

When you buy a dog from someone who is not doing right by the breed you are further enabling them to continue their poor practices. If you want a dog just to be a companion there are many available through rescue, with backgrounds as unclear as the dogs from BYB's.

You're correct, even reputible breeders don't usually have a few generations of dogs present on their property, however, they can readily identify [some of] them and their accomplishments.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Sariss » April 13th, 2006, 6:40 pm

bustersmama wrote:
Hey now, you are the FIRST person 99.9% of the time to jump on someone, so lets not play the hero here.

Edit: Nevermind, I'll keep my comments to myself.

But... whatever. I'm just in a bad mood. But I think I'll keep to myself when I get my next dog, even though it's not even a Pittie, and coming from a good breeder. Even on this forum.
Sariss
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby crimsonandwhite » April 13th, 2006, 7:02 pm

that might be the best bet sariss...

and thats why i do background checks before i buy from a breeder...i.e. ask for numbers of people that have bought dogs from them, try to see if there is anything on the net about them and so on and so forth...and rescue dogs are far more unclear than any byb...you dont even know when they were born...
crimsonandwhite
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » April 13th, 2006, 7:46 pm

and rescue dogs are far more unclear than any byb

I wouldn't be so sure about that, where do you think those shelter dogs came from? This breed is in big trouble. Thee is NO reason to breed an un titiled, unhealth tested litter at this time.........or at ANY time.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » April 13th, 2006, 8:05 pm

Sariss wrote:But... whatever. I'm just in a bad mood. But I think I'll keep to myself when I get my next dog, even though it's not even a Pittie, and coming from a good breeder. Even on this forum.

If you are getting a dog from a responsible breeder you will have no 'trouble' here. end of story.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » April 13th, 2006, 9:17 pm

HEY!

Michelle said enough. :D
Last edited by Romanwild on April 13th, 2006, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby concreterose » April 13th, 2006, 9:18 pm

bustersmama wrote:
Sariss wrote:Ok, I know a lot of people are pro-rescue, but WHAT is supposed to come out of bashing ZachMan at every corner? It won't do anything, except frustrating him futher. What, do you want him to put the dog down? Give it back to the breeder? Give it to a shelter?

I know everyone is pissed off about it, but honestly. What's done is done. He has the dog, she gets along excellent with his male. Just stop attacking him left right and centre. It may have had an effect if he was "looking" at the dog, but he has the dog.

Hey now, you are the FIRST person 99.9% of the time to jump on someone, so lets not play the hero here.

Riiiiiiight LOL :wink:
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 13th, 2006, 9:35 pm

Romanwild wrote:HEY!

Michelle said enough. :D

Michelle edited her post because it was the pointless bickering that needs to stop, productive discussion should continue! :wink:
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby bustersmama » April 13th, 2006, 10:04 pm

concreterose wrote:
bustersmama wrote:
Sariss wrote:Ok, I know a lot of people are pro-rescue, but WHAT is supposed to come out of bashing ZachMan at every corner? It won't do anything, except frustrating him futher. What, do you want him to put the dog down? Give it back to the breeder? Give it to a shelter?

I know everyone is pissed off about it, but honestly. What's done is done. He has the dog, she gets along excellent with his male. Just stop attacking him left right and centre. It may have had an effect if he was "looking" at the dog, but he has the dog.

Riiiiiiight LOL :wink:

HEY NOW!! I dont always get there in time to be the first one!! :wink:
bustersmama
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 14th, 2006, 9:53 am

ZachMan wrote:and yes when she is 2 or whatever she may not like Frazer, so seperation isn't a problem they are like that now when I am not home.

I can go get her tested I know I can get an EKG an pinhip done now, buit I am truely not worried, she has to put up with Frazers screwing around with her all the time and she seems healty to me. She doesn't cough or have any weird breathing sounds. She just loves to run and fraking jump alot..alot.

At this point I'd just get her heeart checked as the line is known for problems and it wouldn't hurt to put her on a joint suppliment just incase there are any other issues. Then you may want to have other testing done in the future

Be aware though that just because the pup is showing no signs of problems , it doesn't mean they are not there. many times unless the problems are severe they will not show up until later life. Hopefully there aren't any.

What is done is done... just love your pup. I think everyone gets so eated because BYBs have essentially become the downfall of the breed so that is why they are jumping all over you.

Yes, even dogs from reputible breeders can have problems. The match of the dogs can just line up genes for HD or any other disorder, but it is just a better chance that it won't pop up with tested lines. It doen't mean it can't. 2 OFA good dogs surely can throw a dysplatic pup. Sometimes things just happen. What breeders need to do is try to better the breed by using the tools available which not only includes the health testing but things like CGC, TT, TDI, working and conformation events. Breeders can not totally control what is produced. At this time there is no sure fire way to get rid of all genetic diseases.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby ZachMan » April 14th, 2006, 12:44 pm

and lets leave it on that note. ^^^^
ZachMan
Just Whelped

Postby crimsonandwhite » April 14th, 2006, 12:50 pm

nice dogs patchs..i just took a look at your site...they are all so purty!!
crimsonandwhite
Just Whelped

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 14th, 2006, 3:12 pm

crimsonandwhite wrote:nice dogs patchs..i just took a look at your site...they are all so purty!!
Thank you! :)
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health