Question about cat scratch

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby CinderDee » December 29th, 2008, 9:33 pm

Is a cat scratch to a dog's eye and emergency or can it wait until the morning? (It's not Kato.) The dog's eye is red and watery, but doesn't seem painful.

Thanks!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Marinepits » December 29th, 2008, 9:47 pm

Can you see an actual scratch/cut?

Don't use a steroidal eye cream because that could make the scratch worse.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby CinderDee » December 29th, 2008, 9:52 pm

This is what she IM'ed me, Jen.

I asked her if it seemed painful and if he was holding it shut. I told her brother to go to the ER vet, but he wants to wait until morning.

" No, and the bleeding has completely stopped.  It's just got a small red spot on the side of the white area"
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Marinepits » December 29th, 2008, 10:02 pm

Personally, I would take the dog to the e-vet immediately, considering the eyeball itself was bleeding. Cats have nasty-dirty claws and I'd be very worried about infection. I'm assuming no vitreous humor (the fluid inside the eyeball) is leaking out?

It can *probably* wait until morning, but have her keep a REAL close watch on it (no pun intended). If the dog starts rubbing its face/eye on either the carpet, furniture, some other object, or with his/her paws, either have them go to the vet immediately, or get an e-collar on the dog's head until they can get to the vet in the morning. The dog HAS to be seen, sooner rather than later, so don't let them put the vet visit off. :wink:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby CinderDee » December 29th, 2008, 10:06 pm

Thanks SO much, Jen!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Marinepits » December 29th, 2008, 10:12 pm

You're welcome! :wave2:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby blabsforbullies » December 29th, 2008, 10:37 pm

Marinepits wrote:Personally, I would take the dog to the e-vet immediately, considering the eyeball itself was bleeding. Cats have nasty-dirty claws and I'd be very worried about infection. I'm assuming no vitreous humor (the fluid inside the eyeball) is leaking out?

It can *probably* wait until morning, but have her keep a REAL close watch on it (no pun intended). If the dog starts rubbing its face/eye on either the carpet, furniture, some other object, or with his/her paws, either have them go to the vet immediately, or get an e-collar on the dog's head until they can get to the vet in the morning. The dog HAS to be seen, sooner rather than later, so don't let them put the vet visit off. :wink:

I would agree for the most part, although , in my opinion, eyes should never wait. :shock: A corneal abrasion can get very bad very quickly. :cry: If the sclera (the white part) was bleeding, I would also be worried about infection. I never mess around, or wait, on eye problems. Too much risk involved. :sad2:

I hope everything works out ok. :(
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby CinderDee » December 30th, 2008, 4:35 am

Thanks so much Doc!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Malli » December 30th, 2008, 5:21 am

yeah, its iffy with eyes :| Could be nothin' or a whole lotta somethin'...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby blabsforbullies » December 30th, 2008, 8:14 am

CinderDee wrote:Thanks so much Doc!

You betcha... you'd do the same for me! :D Let us know how it goes! Thinking good thoughts for something easy and not serious! 8)
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Return to Nutrition & Health