Anyone use invisible fencing?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby mnp13 » April 13th, 2006, 8:45 pm

a-bull wrote:Oh well, to each his own. I owned it with great success, and as it turns out, I am not an e-collar fan. :|

Well, that doesn't make sense to me... you are using an e-collar on your dog already. What's the difference between you giving the dog a correction and the IF doing it?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Sariss » April 13th, 2006, 8:45 pm

My uncle has one. His German Shepherd sits right by the line so there is a light buzz in the collar. He'll stay there until the battery wears out, then run through.
Sariss
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby a-bull » April 13th, 2006, 8:58 pm

mnp13 wrote:
a-bull wrote:Oh well, to each his own. I owned it with great success, and as it turns out, I am not an e-collar fan. :|

Well, that doesn't make sense to me... you are using an e-collar on your dog already. What's the difference between you giving the dog a correction and the IF doing it?

Well, first of all I don't use I.F. with my current dogs, so I'm actually not using it . . . but, my point was, I don't like e-collars at all, and yet I used the I.F., which I felt was maybe similar, and was very happy with it . . . and for me, who does not like e-collars, I thought that spoke well of the product---and in the case of my dog, he got one correction during his training and that was it. I focused on training him to the warning beep with the correction as a back-up, and honestly, if he had been corrected too many times during the training, I would not have used it. I'm not a fan of negative stimulus-type training.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » April 13th, 2006, 9:04 pm

Sariss wrote:My uncle has one. His German Shepherd sits right by the line so there is a light buzz in the collar. He'll stay there until the battery wears out, then run through.

lol, that's so bizarre . . . :o Smart cookie. :) Odd thing about that is that he must have ignored the warning beep.

This is obvioulsy the wrong crowd for this information, but for anyone who is interested in such a system after reading this thread, but does not like the "correction" aspect of I.F., there are systems that just use the warning beep/flag system for training. I would have very much preferred that if I had known it was available way back when.
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby pLaurent » April 13th, 2006, 9:45 pm

It's not the "correction aspect" that would bother me. It would be my dog running through it after a rabbit, and other people's untrained and unleashed dogs coming unto my property. AND people who go to work and leave their dogs behind these unreliable fences.

Not one hour ago I just looked outside and what do I see? A big chocolate Lab wandering around my front yard. :rolleyes2:
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ellie@ny » April 13th, 2006, 9:53 pm

And what about those "nice" people,who like to steel dogs?This is the best for them!They just have to walk in with a little food or toy,and leash,take of the collar and take the dog.........This fence is very wrong in soo many options. :?
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby a-bull » April 13th, 2006, 9:58 pm

pLaurent wrote:It's not the "correction aspect" that would bother me. It would be my dog running through it after a rabbit, and other people's untrained and unleashed dogs coming unto my property. AND people who go to work and leave their dogs behind these unreliable fences.

Not one hour ago I just looked outside and what do I see? A big chocolate Lab wandering around my front yard. :rolleyes2:

My dog would chase anything until he heard the warning beep, then he'd stop. At the time I had it, there were no other pitbulls around, (and still aren't), and the occassional dog that came in my yard were never an issue. We've always owned cats, so they weren't an issue either. I guess where you live probably matters, also. It gave a dog with alot of baggage a wonderful life, and infact his ashes are spread in the yard he so loved.

Well, as luck would have it, my neighbor has her dog on one, and it never leaves the yard and she has never had any issues either. :|
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » April 13th, 2006, 10:01 pm

ellie@ny wrote:And what about those "nice" people,who like to steel dogs?This is the best for them!They just have to walk in with a little food or toy,and leash,take of the collar and take the dog.........This fence is very wrong in soo many options. :?

Again, I guess it depends on where you live. No one stole my dog. Dog stealing isn't really an issue where I live.
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » April 13th, 2006, 10:07 pm

any high drive dog that is fast will not be easily contained. By the time the warning beep sounds they are through the fence and out. You'll never find a greyhound owner with an IF.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » April 13th, 2006, 10:10 pm

mnp13 wrote:any high drive dog that is fast will not be easily contained. By the time the warning beep sounds they are through the fence and out. You'll never find a greyhound owner with an IF.

Oh, he had a very high drive, and he wasn't a Greyhound. :D
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby pLaurent » April 14th, 2006, 11:14 am

You'll never find a greyhound owner with an IF.

Or a Husky owner. :o

Chloe is very sensitive and I can see an IF working most of the time. In fact she got a shock from a horse fence and didn't want to walk on that side of the street for WEEKS! :D

But just cannot see an IF stopping her if a rabbit ran by. She just focuses so hard on rabbits, muskrats etc I think she would ignore the beep but I could be wrong.

and the occassional dog that came in my yard were never an issue.

Wow. It would be an issue for Chloe.
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 14th, 2006, 12:16 pm

Maryellen wrote:my neighbor has an invisible fence for her rescue dog.. hahaaa..it doessnt work.. the dog is always inmyyard, and every week or 2 i am driving her dog back to her house...

they allow strange dogs/animals in, and if a dog is fine with pain.. they could care less about the zap...

You are nicer than me after the first time I would have had a nice chat explaining why they can't let there dog roam free and than called AC

I'm very intolerant of any dog running lose friendly or not.

I agree those fences are a scam. A friend of mine lost his APBT due to one of them. The dog ran right into the road and was hit by a car.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby rockermom » April 14th, 2006, 12:22 pm

I was thinking of it for the areas of the yard that are not fenced. So when gardening or washing the car or to play ball in a bigger area of the yard. But of course not leaving him out alone. Since it will take time to figure out how I want to do visible fence in the yard plus getting the job done. Right now I only have my back yard temporary fenced with green garden fence. But I was thinking the type of electric fence that zaps those comming in and out might be better. To keep out some dogs and cats who like to wander around.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 14th, 2006, 12:23 pm

My dog Cleo broke more than one leash (and collar and harness) lunging after dogs. Your dog may be 'safe' behind the invisible 'fence' but it sure wouldn't be safe from her coming into your yard.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » April 14th, 2006, 2:11 pm

Dreyfus just broke a 110lb flexi like he wasn't even attached to it.

Think a IF would work on him? lol

What's wrong with a tether anyway? :?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby pLaurent » April 14th, 2006, 2:42 pm

Dreyfus just broke a 110lb flexi like he wasn't even attached to it.

Flexis...don't even get me started on those things! :x
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 14th, 2006, 2:52 pm

You had him on a flexi????
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » April 14th, 2006, 3:10 pm

Flame on!!!! :flameT:

lol

I got it when I first got Dreyfus. I have almost killed him a few times and I have burned myself, 4 friends and my sister and my 82 year old mother was yanked off the porch into the yard because of the almighty flexi.

I do love them for certain things. I only use mine when I have ONE dog with me and it's in my yard or when I let them swim.

They take a lot of skill and coordination. I tell everyone now to not get them and properly warn the people who already have them.

I'm not sure if I will get another one. I have been trying to find the 250lb model but they don't make them anymore.

Another thing...get the "tape" version. Not the corded. The corded are more dangerous.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 14th, 2006, 3:17 pm

Your 82 year old mother was yanked off the porch????? :o :(
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Sue » April 14th, 2006, 3:39 pm

John has NASTY scars on the back of his calves from getting caught up in one.

I use one when I take the dogs on a walk to do their business... they all like to go into the deepest, thorniest part of the bushes. When we take them out anywhere else, they are on regualr leads.
Sue
Bull Meister

PreviousNext

Return to Pit Bull Talk