Minnie And Living With Addison's Disease

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby BigDogBuford » December 19th, 2008, 12:37 pm

Hey all! It's been just a little over a year since Minnie was diagnosed with Addison's Disease. I've learned a lot this year and thought I'd write it all down!

Minnie had what's called an "Addisonian crash' when she was diagnosed. She had been a bit lethargic, vomiting, diarrhea...just 'not herself'. Those of us really in tune with our dogs know what I mean. Of course I was worried about a foreign body (she has a history of dietary indiscretion, ie the 'mummified rat incident'). Ironically I was also just getting ready to go out of town. I took her to the vet and she didn't have a temp, wasn't tender in her belly and the vet couldn't feel anything in there. We decided to wait for 24 hours or so, then if she still wasn't better do an xray and discuss a barium series and lab work. We went home with some Metronidazole and we were putting her on a bland diet.

I left the next day for the BadRap conference. She seemed a little better and hubby promised to keep me updated. She wasn't better on Saturday so I made hubs call the vet. He had Chris take her temp and asked if there was a fever, hubs said no. (The mistake here is that the vet didn't ask what the actual body temp was and hubs didn't know that it's supposed to be higher than a persons). So he sat up with her all night but by Sunday morning she was worse and I ordered hubs to take her straight to the emergency vet.

I *knew* there was something seriously wrong with her and getting frustrated with not being there to take care of her myself. By the time she got in to see the vet her body temp was 97 and she was almost comatose. I had them do labwork, xrays, the works. I also tell them that money is not an issue and I want them to treat her like she was their own dog. Nothing. There was some weird stuff on her labs and they're starting to talk about poisoning. I was seriously freaking out, packed up all my stuff and started the long drive back to Seattle from Berkeley. Thank dog I had Joxer with me to keep me company:

The vet called me while I was on my way home to tell me she thought she had a diagnosis. Addison's Disease. My cell phone connection was super crappy but I got the idea that they had one lab test they could do and could have a diagnosis by the time I got back to Seattle. I drove straight through and got back about 9am Sunday morning. I called the vet and arranged to visit little Min-Min. She looked awful. Just awful. She'd lost 8 pounds (which is a lot when you only weigh 38lbs to begin with!) She had nasty poop all over her behind and you could tell she felt like shite. She seemed 'pale' which is really weird, but her fur looked pale. I keep the visit short and the Dr. came in and confirmed a diagnosis of Addison's.

It turns out the emergency vet that was on duty on Saturday night happens to specialize in Addison's dogs so she recognized it right away and actually started Minnie on the meds for it even before the diagnosis, thank god. She told me I could pick Minnie up the next day and we make a discharge appointment.

This is what she looked like when I brought her home:

She immediately got a bath and got tucked into bed. She was on 10mg of prednisone a day and was being supplemented with Percorten-V. In the next six months she got better! She gradually lost all of her fur. And I mean all. She looked like a little pinkie Boxer. I was able to decrease her prednisone to a maintenance dosage of 2.5mg a day and she was getting a DOCP (Percorten-V) every 24-26 days. Her fur finally grew back in and she looked good....like her old, princess self.

Addison's is weird.....it can very nebulous symptoms. Minnie had a bit of hair loss months before her crash. It wasn't very noticeable so I kept an eye on it. She'd had a few bouts of diarrhea and vomiting in the last four months before her crash but again, she gets into things and they had resolved on their own. Looking back, I now know those were all early symptoms. From minor hair loss to coma....super!

Every dog is different, but I can always tell when Minnie is due for her shot. She will start acting spooky, will sometimes hide from the hubs (but never from me), will start peeing on the floor and if she's super stressed she'll poop on the floor. Stress can make Addison's worse so I will generally up her prednisone when I know there's going to be something stressful for her (if I go out of town or if she's boarded). She gets lab work to check her levels every six months, I do her shots at home and the vet says she looks great! I tend to keep her just a couple of pounds over weight so she has a cushion when/if an episode happens. We haven't had a crash since her initial diagnosis but she just in the last month or so lost a lot of fur again. :|

Pretty Girl!

Funny Face:

You can read more about Addison's here:
http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/deaddisons.html
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Pit♥bull » December 19th, 2008, 2:48 pm

Thanks for sharing......Sounds like Minnie is a trooper like Trouble :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » December 19th, 2008, 3:01 pm

Poor baby, she looks so pitiful in her home from the vet shots. Keep up the good fight guys. :)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby BullyLady » December 19th, 2008, 3:27 pm

My goodness she is such a cutie!! She's so lucky to have a momma like you who will deal with her disease and keep her happy and healthy. Addison's can be easy to manage once it's diagnosed but I've seen way to many owners euth because of an Addison's diagnosis. :(
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby hugapitbull » December 19th, 2008, 3:34 pm

Poor baby, she looks like she just feels awful. Glad she's had a successful year battling the disease.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 19th, 2008, 5:28 pm

She looks great! I'm glad she's done so well. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby SisMorphine » December 21st, 2008, 10:15 am

I didn't know she had addison's. Thanks for sharing the story. Hopefully it'll help others recognize it if it happens with their own dogs.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby TheRedQueen » December 21st, 2008, 12:04 pm

I'm amazed at how some of the symptoms are similar to Ripley's symptoms of hypothyroidism. He also loses hair...though, not that drastically, thankfully...poor pink Minnie :( The spookiness and elimination problems also go along with Rip's thyroid issues. I can always tell when he needs a change in dosage, as he starts getting spooky and anxious too.

Glad to hear that Minnie is doing well...I love to hear stories like this. I hate that the dog and owner have to go through it, but I'm glad to hear that the meds are working and that everyone is happy and okay now!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby BigDogBuford » December 21st, 2008, 12:34 pm

Although definitely a major disease to deal with Addison's is totally manageable as long as you keep on top of it!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Karen » December 21st, 2008, 8:45 pm

Glad you got a diagnosis so quickly. Many times it is misdiagnosed and the test results come way too late. Cuddles will be 10 in Feb. and has been living with Addison's for almost 5 years now after years of being treated for other health issues.

Minnie is very lucky to have you
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health