Florida Dog Trainer Laws

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 13th, 2006, 10:43 am

I have a local trainer who told me that Florida is the only state which requires dog trainers be certified by a rigorous schooling process. She claims to have to have gone through 7 years of training, including working with police dogs, PP work, obedience, behavioral theory, etc. She said Ian Dunbar taught at this school. It sounds a little fishy to me, but I don't know, and I could not find anything one way or the other on-line.

I don't want to discredit her, I just would like to know for myself.

She also claimed she has a special CGC license which allows her to do single dogs-there is no such thing, I can do single dogs and groups.

Ah well.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 13th, 2006, 10:45 am

:bs:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » April 13th, 2006, 10:55 am

yeah right....... i got some swampland in arizona for sale too....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 13th, 2006, 11:08 am

That is what I thought :rolleyes2: . Anyone actually from Florida that can give me a confirmation?

Did she think that I wouldn't check this out? :|
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 13th, 2006, 11:13 am

It would sound like she is claiming it is a law which is reaily searchable online.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 13th, 2006, 11:17 am

Yeah, I know that is what I thought too. I was looking, but no luck so far. (I was being lazy and hoping someone from Flroida would pop up and save the day :oops: I will keep looking.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 13th, 2006, 11:32 am

828.251 Instruction.--The department, in conjunction with the State University System, the American Veterinary Medical Association, and humane animal groups, shall make available to slaughterers the most current technical information. Such information may be in video or manual format, or another widely accepted media format.

Only entry on instruction of any kind

Abstract: 413.08 Rights of an individual with a disability; use of a service animal; discrimination in public employment or housing accommodations; penalties. (a) Documentation that the service animal is trained is not a precondition for providing service to an individual accompanied by a service animal. A public accommodation may ask if an animal is a service animal or what tasks the animal has been trained to perform in order to determine the difference between a service animal and a pet.

This was all I could find that even came close. And it is disproving her case, since service animals do not have to be trained at all by a trainer, they just need to be able to show they provide some service to the handler.

I hate it when people lie to me. I would rather someone called me an a-hole to my face than lie to me. I consider it about the worse thing you can do to me, and me to someone else. :evil:
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Malli » April 13th, 2006, 1:18 pm

The man I took my "professional" dog trainer's course from made it sound as if his course was the only one in western canada to take; it isn't, its the only one accredited by the government as a course so you can get a student loan for it, there are plenty of other trainer's courses. I also found out there is The Canadian Association of Professional Pet Dog Trainers(http://www.cappdt.ca/public/jpage/1/p/Home/content.do) , wich he is not part of.

You are not the only one who was lied to, at least you got out before paying :wink:

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 13th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Yeah, she is actually not someone I was planning on taking classes from, but she is going around telling this to clients. She also refers to many of her clients as idiots, which was tough to hear. I do not think I would pay for her class after hearing that alone, plus the lying of credentials.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby huskyhouse » April 15th, 2006, 1:44 pm

She also claimed she has a special CGC license which allows her to do single dogs-there is no such thing, I can do single dogs and groups.

I'll bet the AKC would love to know that :P .
huskyhouse
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Training & Behavior