Pregnant mutt

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby LMM » December 15th, 2008, 8:54 am

In this instance, humane euthanasia is probably the best for this innocent animal since there is no money to care for her and the adults in her life haven't taken very good care of her at all. Having said that, you do realize you are talking about a LIFE? I'm only asking because as an animal rescuer your comments of "disposal" and "have the E vet euthanize her and be done with it" and "I didn't want the dog in the first place" are really disturbing to me.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby blabsforbullies » December 15th, 2008, 11:24 am

blackdoggy wrote:
mnp13 wrote:Perhaps I am a cold hearted bitch, but I'd put her down... with the puppies still unborn.

Finding a home for a mother dog and 4 pups (here's hoping it's a small litter) with responsible owners is going to be a HUGE chore, do you have the time and money to do full evaluations on any potential adopters? If you can't afford vet care for her now, how will you afford care for her and the puppies after?

It's very hard to responsibly place pure breeds, mix breeds will be more difficult.

Her chances in a shelter are pretty grim as well.

And I feel the same way about all pregnant dogs in rescue. Do a spay/abort or put the mother down with the puppies still unborn. There are too many dogs out there already, another litter isn't going to help matters.

This is YOUR decision, and YOUR dog now. YOU are the one that has the choice on how this situation should be handled. Take responsibility for YOUR dog and YOUR actions. Do NOT do it because of one person's opinions, even mine. None of us are there, with the dog, nor do we know the full situation. Having someone tell you that they think the dog should be put down doesn't mean you need to "be done with it" or "dispose of her in the ground". Please have some compassion, for God's sake! :sad2: Yes, it probably is the right thing to do, but it is because it IS the compassionate thing to do. Not because it the "ground is as good as any" option. :x To be that cavalier about it is more than a little disturbing. :confused: I take all the euthanasias I do extremely seriously, and it is a gift to end their suffering. Not because it is as good as an alternative as anything else. But then to basically defend your statements by quoting one person's opinion (who, by the way, had an entirely different point, in my opinion :| ), just makes it all that much worse.

I am sure that you are upset. And maybe that is why you chose the words you did. Forums are sometimes not the easiest to express one's true feelings. I hope that is the case. I know when I am angry or upset, I'm not always good at communication. But, as someone pointed out, this is an INNOCENT life that deserves to be treated with respect, even when they can't read what is being said. :sad3:

I wish you all the luck in the world. I hope that whatever the outcome, peace can be found. :heartbeat:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby TheRedQueen » December 15th, 2008, 11:29 am

Well said, Dr. Blabs!

I am seriously disturbed by the turn of events in this post...and I hope only that the dog doesn't suffer in any way. :sad2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby LMM » December 15th, 2008, 11:34 am

Omigod in heaven :shock: I totally read that last line wrong!!!

:x

The ground is as good as any?!!?!?!? Are you freaking serious?

If you choose to euth her, I sincerely hope you show her some love and a kind hand in her final moments. She deserves that respect.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby madremissy » December 15th, 2008, 11:39 am

Good Gosh, You know how people feel about animals on this board. So I would ask you to please choose your words more wisely!
I am praying for that poor dog right now.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby mnp13 » December 15th, 2008, 11:49 am

Please do not use my post as a reason to "dispose" of a dog through rehoming or putting her down.

Do I feel that it is the "right" thing to do considering you have limited financial resources and the odds of your being able to place the dogs in good homes? Yes, but that doesn't make it a callous decision. I said that first sentence because there are plenty of people who would rather die themselves than put down a dog, let alone a pregnant one. It's a sad reality that death is often the best thing for the dogs and people involved. That does NOT make it ok to talk about those deaths as if you are throwing away used tissues.

When I was looking for a home for Lucy I was completely unprepared for the stress of placing one dog. Would the home be good? Would she be treated well? Would they really spay her as promised? Would she end up a yard dog after she left the cute puppy stage? Would she end up in a crate 24/7 for doing normal puppy things? and on and on and on and on. I couldn't have dreamed for a better home than she ended up in, but until I found Chris (well, to be exact, she found me) I was a wreck - quite literally. I can not imagine having to deal with a litter of puppies and the mom.

The time, money and stress of taking on what you are planning to do is daunting. That's not a slam, but you really need to consider your resources here. If you can't do it, the best thing for you and her and the puppies is to have some play time, feed her some greasy yummy fast food and then hold her and pet her while the vet puts her down.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby KJS » December 15th, 2008, 12:54 pm

I won't even bother to ask why you didn't have her spayed a month ago when you got her and abort the litter then

that would of been my first question too...I sincerely hope that this poor dog gets the veterinary attention she deserves RIGHT NOW...you can look for ways to pay for it later....she can not wait :(
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » December 15th, 2008, 1:36 pm

Wonderful "holiday" post, blackdoggy. :rolleyes2: >(

Now do that poor dog a favor and get her taken care of.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby blackdoggy » December 15th, 2008, 2:13 pm

She has been taken to the local pound for euthanasia, my pal down there didn't really want to take her but I said I can't handle pups and mom I mean I have gone through nearly two full 40lb bags of food in less than a month :cry: It is rather rough since she was a sweet dog but she was costing me a fortune and I know I wouldn't have been able pay for vet care. I barely go through one fifty pound bag of food a month and I am almost down to the last ten in the bag I bought two weeks ago :( I did what was best I didn't choose the best words but it is very frigging tough having to give up a dog that I can't save or afford :cry: . I was not planning on letting the people take any puppies until they paid for and showed me the receipt for the clinic anyhow shes gonna be in a better place now :sad2: .
Its not the dogs fault you got bit he thought you were trying to hurt me.
blackdoggy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby madremissy » December 15th, 2008, 2:14 pm

RIP poor little girl.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby amazincc » December 15th, 2008, 2:17 pm

RIP, little Momma and puppies. :sad2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » December 15th, 2008, 2:23 pm

I'm sorry :(
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby LMM » December 15th, 2008, 2:33 pm

This breaks my heart, I hope someone is with her :(
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Pit♥bull » December 15th, 2008, 2:43 pm

I wonder if anyone has ever been bitten crossing the bridge >(
rainbow.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 15th, 2008, 2:57 pm

RIP Momma & pups...hopefully you're out of pain. :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby cheekymunkee » December 15th, 2008, 3:06 pm

I am glad the poor puppy is out of her misery. :cry:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby KJS » December 15th, 2008, 3:09 pm

my pal down there didn't really want to take her but I said I can't handle pups and mom

The question of what you can or can't handle was'nt uppermost in my mind to be honest....the main priority was that the dog recieved medical attention ( however that had to come about)...I suppose that as she was definately ill being PTS was best in this case...I hope she was ill for your sake...or no matter how well you word a post to us you will always know the truth of the matter...

whats galling me is the fact that I am prety sure that if you had just asked advice earlier this could of been avoided...heck I am pretty sure that some of the lovely people here would have even helped you out with some funding...but you chose to wait until the last mment and even to lecve the dog to get sick before you posted a word...what possessed you to wait so long?
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » December 15th, 2008, 4:04 pm

I'm not trying to be harsh, but thinking of the future of your own dogs I have to ask...
If you have trouble affording an extra bag of food, how are you going to afford veterinary care for the dogs you have?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » December 15th, 2008, 5:54 pm

RIP Mom dog and puppies...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby BritneyP » December 15th, 2008, 6:17 pm

blackdoggy wrote: anyhow shes gonna be in a better place now :sad2: .

You can say THAT again. :shock:
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health