Will dogs get sleepy if they eat turkey?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby TheRedQueen » December 5th, 2008, 11:55 am

I just finished cutting up the turkey carcass, and have three bags of turkey for treating the dogs this weekend (flyball).

Anyone know if they will get sleepy or calm down while eating turkey? I hate for them to run slower because I gave them turkey... :dance:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Marinepits » December 5th, 2008, 12:27 pm

Not that I've ever heard of, but just be careful feeding them too much turkey. Every year at the vet clinic, we'd get a spike in panacreatitis patients right after Thanksgiving and Christmas -- turkey was almost always the culprit.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TheRedQueen » December 5th, 2008, 12:28 pm

Marinepits wrote:Not that I've ever heard of, but just be careful feeding them too much turkey. Every year at the vet clinic, we'd get a spike in panacreatitis patients right after Thanksgiving and Christmas -- turkey was almost always the culprit.

Yeah...none of them will get too much, no worries...plus there are meatballs and liver treats. :mrgreen:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Pit♥bull » December 5th, 2008, 12:53 pm

TheRedQueen wrote: get sleepy or calm down while eating turkey?
I always "calm down" and "get sleepy" after eating Thanksgiving dinner. LMAO
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » December 5th, 2008, 2:05 pm

Pit$Bull wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote: get sleepy or calm down while eating turkey?
I always "calm down" and "get sleepy" after eating Thanksgiving dinner. LMAO

Exactly...I don't want them falling asleep in the middle of a run! :giggle:

TheRedQueen

Postby Patch O' Pits » December 5th, 2008, 5:58 pm

They would have to have quite a bit to effect them making them tired. Tryptophan (sp?) is actually used in some veterinary calming meds

The panacreatitis issues seem to be caused more so when people are feeding the skin and fat. The meat itself is pretty lean so not the biggest problem from what I understand
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Marinepits » December 5th, 2008, 6:19 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:The panacreatitis issues seem to be caused more so when people are feeding the skin and fat. The meat itself is pretty lean so not the biggest problem from what I understand

In general, this is true. Some dogs who aren't used to eating turkey or other table scraps may react to any amount of turkey, and this seems to be especially true with small dogs. For some reason we always saw a lot of Yorkies after the holidays. :confused: :|
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TheRedQueen » December 5th, 2008, 7:28 pm

Great advice, as always guys...thanks!

My guys are so used to getting scraps (I have no garbage disposal...what we don't eat goes to the dogs, what they don't eat goes to the rats, then to the trash)...and meat for tournaments. They're used to cocktail meatballs, beef heart, tuna treats and liver brownies...so tummies shouldn't be in too much of an uproar!

TheRedQueen

Postby delilahsmommy » December 6th, 2008, 12:31 am

what some spoiled dogs.....
Delilah and Mac are looking at me like "see momma its ok to give us your yummies"
some people just dont get it...
and some shouldnt
delilahsmommy
Loyally Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health