Buster's nose

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Judy » December 3rd, 2008, 8:30 pm

Buster has a "runny" nose. It appears to only be out of one nostril. The vet said since it's clear, he didn't feel warranted antibiotics. He is not coughing, or sneezing, or acting different otherwise. But it keeps running and it frustrates him and he licks his nose all night long, I can hear him. And occasionally he "paws" his snout.

I cannot think of anything different I am using or have brought into the house. No new food/treats/laundry soap/toys, ect. Nothing out of the ordinary. He has never shown allergies to anything. I am doing work on my house, but have been for the past few years (that's a whole other thread).

The vet said he could take and xray and start testing, but advised to watch it a bit longer just to rule out a cold. I've never had a dog with a constant drippy nose. Has anyone else?

As you can see in the photos below, his nose appears normal. I propped him up with pillows to kind of tilt his head "backward" a bit, in hopes that the drip will go the other way, and he appears more comfortable that way.

He's still running around and playing with tennis balls and chewing bones, so not sure if I should be a big worrywart or not? :|

Due to a forum glitch, I am now 30 years old. :woowoo:
Judy
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 3rd, 2008, 8:36 pm

Does he maybe just have a cold?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » December 3rd, 2008, 8:36 pm

Has the vet looked up his nose to make sure nothing is up there?

Have you tried an antihistamine to see if that helps stop the snotties?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Judy » December 3rd, 2008, 8:41 pm

It's possible he has a cold, but does a dogs' cold usually last a few weeks?

Yes, the vet did look into his nose, (as did I with a flashlight) we both saw nothing unusual.

Can I give him Benadryl? I have Benadryl allergy antihistamine tablets
Judy
Loyally Bully

Postby Marinepits » December 3rd, 2008, 8:47 pm

First, I would call the vet and ask if he thinks an antihistamine would be warranted, but Benadryl would be fine to use.

Clear snotties usually means an allergy or cold, while green or yellow signifies a possible infection of some sort.

I'm just concerned that he's pawing at his nose.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Judy » December 3rd, 2008, 8:56 pm

I think the pawing could be indicative that he wants it to stop (dripping) and maybe he thinks he can "shut it off". He sorta "taps" it rather than claws at it. I will give him the Benadryl and keep an eye on him.
Judy
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » December 4th, 2008, 4:56 pm

the pawing concerns me as well.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » December 4th, 2008, 5:02 pm

How's he doing today?
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jenn » December 4th, 2008, 5:14 pm

Feel better soon Mr. Buster :hug3:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Judy » December 4th, 2008, 9:58 pm

Still dripping but only a little. I haven't seen pawing yet but he's been busy playing.
What would the pawing mean if he keeps doing it, any ideas? :|
Judy
Loyally Bully

Postby Marinepits » December 4th, 2008, 10:02 pm

In my experience, generally that either something is caught in there or something is growing in there, like a cyst or lump or whatever -- it's bothersome enough that he wants to swat at it or rub his face on some surface to try and remove it.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » December 4th, 2008, 11:58 pm

I missed this somehow. :oops: Feel better soon Buster. :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Malli » December 5th, 2008, 6:11 am

Marinepits wrote:In my experience, generally that either something is caught in there or something is growing in there, like a cyst or lump or whatever -- it's bothersome enough that he wants to swat at it or rub his face on some surface to try and remove it.

Ditto.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health