How desperate for a bargain?

Postby KJS » December 2nd, 2008, 11:18 am

:nono: Poor man :(

Source :BBC News
A shop worker has died after being knocked to the ground by bargain-hunters who stormed into a superstore in New York's suburbs as it opened.

The 34-year-old man, along with several other workers and shoppers, was trampled in the rush at the Wal-Mart store in Valley Stream, Long Island.

US stores opened early and offered steep discounts on Friday.

The day after the Thanksgiving holiday is seen as the start of the Christmas shopping season.

It is regarded as an important test of how willing consumers are to spend.

Crowds of shoppers turned up at dawn at stores across the US to snare the best deals.

Wal-Mart, along with electronics retailer Best Buy and department stores Kohl's and Macy's, opened their doors at dawn.

Toys R Us offered up to 60% discounts from 0500 to 1000.

Several major retailers indicated that crowds were at least as large as last year's, but deep discounts are likely to hurt retailers' profit margins.

Many retailers have suffered as the US economy nosedives although value chains like Wal-Mart have fared better.

US retail sales recorded the biggest monthly decline since 1992 in October as consumers cut back on spending.
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 2nd, 2008, 11:19 am

That just blows my mind. There is no sale worth people dying over. That's why I refuse to shop on Black Friday - too many idiots out. :nono:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Jenn » December 2nd, 2008, 1:49 pm

NO crap, how can hundreds of people not realize they are KILLING someone! I'm mean seriously, no bargain is worth that much chaos, people need to get a freaking grip! Stores need to come up with something better, they need to extend the sale or something..

I shopped ONLINE, no lines, no crowds, no fights, and I certainly didn't trample anyone to death. Plus still made money since I worked, didn't wast any gas traveling either. I got some great deals, plus money back for paying with Paypal, and kept my sanity.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby lellis34 » December 2nd, 2008, 2:00 pm

I went out ONCE on black friday. Didn't even plan it - just happened to wake up at 4 in the morning and couldn't get back to sleep. So, figured what the heck. Told Mario I was going, he was like "uh huh" rolled over and out the door I went. NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN!! It was crazy how rude people were "in the holiday spirit". I've been shopping all year so only have a few things to get and it'll mostly be on-line.
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby TinaMartin » December 2nd, 2008, 2:29 pm

Its horrible that this happened. I go out with my mom and sister every Black Friday. We have never run into a serious problem. We have run into a few bitchy people but when 20 people turn around and tell them not to get their panties in a bunch they tone down.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby aophoto » December 2nd, 2008, 2:38 pm

I've only seen one black friday myself and it wasn't this bad, but i'm really not surprised it happened. RIP.

How about the other two deaths on the same day, which are even more frightening.

2 dead after shooting in crowded Toys 'R' Us
PALM DESERT, Calif. - Two men pulled guns and shot each other to death in a crowded toy store Friday after the women with them erupted into a bloody brawl, witnesses said. Scared shoppers fled but no one else was hurt.

why the hell would you be carrying guns around while you're shopping, especially in a toy store. :crazy2:
"The American people have spoken, and they have spoken clearly." - John McCain

Yes, we did America.
aophoto
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » December 2nd, 2008, 2:50 pm

:shock:

I haven't heard about that one... I don't understand is $150 or $200 dollars off a tv, 50% off a toy, etc. really worth someone's life? People make me SICK, thoughts of the future make me cringe..
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby jmashaney » December 2nd, 2008, 3:55 pm

It's a MUCH better idea to wait a few days and then search the internet for even better deals. You would not believe how cheap I just bought a 42" LCD 1080p tv for...

And I didn't have to fight the crazies on Black Friday.
jmashaney
Confident Young Bully

Postby LMM » December 2nd, 2008, 4:02 pm

From what I know, this isn't a great area of LI so it's no surprise. At the movie theater nearby they routinely shoot at the screen (yes guns) when they don't like a movie :neutral:

Not only is this sad and disgusting, to make it worse, they were pissed that they were going to close the store after. Wow.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Marinepits » December 2nd, 2008, 4:09 pm

The local news reported numerous fist fights that broke out before the store even opened. One 14 year old girl was shoved to the ground and stomped on, breaking her wrist and her nose. A rumor was started that tickets were being given out for the biggest sale items and people started a near-riot to get at the supposed tickets. The employees knew that the crowd was out-of-control an hour before opening, and yet they still opened the doors. The cops weren't called in to break everything up until it was too late and the man was already dead.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby LMM » December 2nd, 2008, 4:13 pm

And, the store shares the blame here. This is not the first chaotic black Friday they've had. With their ridiculously low sale prices, not having enough items, and then promoting like crazy, they helped create this frenzied environment.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby aophoto » December 2nd, 2008, 4:19 pm

there's talks of the authorities trying to prosecute people for negligent homicide... but unfortunately it seems like a pretty far reach to me.
"The American people have spoken, and they have spoken clearly." - John McCain

Yes, we did America.
aophoto
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » December 2nd, 2008, 6:14 pm

Ahhhh...Long Island. My home.

An autopsy showed that Damour died of asphyxiation after being trampled, Nassau County officials have said.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/12/02/wal ... pstoryview
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to All the news that's fit to print