Super Dry Paw Pads

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby SisMorphine » December 1st, 2008, 2:02 pm

Teeny's paw pads are super dry, to the point where one of them just cracked open and she's bleeding. I know about the mushers secret but I'm not sure if anywhere around me carries it. Anything else I can pick up today to help her? Poor pupper :(
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Mickle » December 1st, 2008, 2:20 pm

Bag Balm. They should have it alot of places. Try that out! Poor Teeny Beans!
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 1st, 2008, 2:38 pm

Put some neosporin on her tootsies and then put a baby sock over it. Poor kiddo. :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby madremissy » December 1st, 2008, 2:53 pm

Is vaseline ok for dogs? Can you do the same thing liz said with vasoline. I know I put it on my feet and wear socks. :|
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Marinepits » December 1st, 2008, 3:27 pm

Mickle wrote:Bag Balm. They should have it alot of places. Try that out! Poor Teeny Beans!

times 2

Bag Balm is a miracle worker for dry skin. Be careful if you use vasoline, though -- if she licks too much of it off, she may have some lovely diarrhea.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » December 1st, 2008, 5:16 pm

what would be making her feet so dry?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Pit♥bull » December 1st, 2008, 5:43 pm

Try 'Cornhuskers Lotion' by Pfizer.... GOOD stuff and easy to find :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby StalkerBlueDog » December 1st, 2008, 6:33 pm

I third Bag Balm. It's a wonderful thing. My lab had rough pads..we used vasoline prior to finding out about bag balm and that worked ok too. I know people who are very uber all natural and they use olive oil.

As for a cause- can be a number of things. Where do you live? The time of year can effect pads (drying because of ice or salt for example).. could be callousis that they've built up and are now cracking from being walked on rough surfaces.. could be what your feeding( is it just the pads that are dry or does your dog have dry skin in general?)

http://www.bigdogboutique.com/ProductCa ... _pads.html

Just make sure whatever you use, you don't soften the pads too much.. just enough to relieve cracks and discomfort. It can result in more injury if the pads aren't tough enough to handle different surfaces, heat etc.
Jill Rakin CPDT-KA
"DAWN" U-CH Canami's Age of Aquarius CD RE AX OAJ NF CGC/TDI (1/3 AXJ, 1/5 U-GRCH, MACH pt'd)
"KAYLEE" U-CH Canami's Protector of Serenity (AKC major Pt'd)
"LEIA" Sorella's Rebel Princess (UKC pt'd)
"LUKE"Canami Sorella's A New Hope RN
StalkerBlueDog
My dog can kick your sheep's ass

Postby StalkerBlueDog » December 1st, 2008, 6:52 pm

Just realized you're in MA. Heat and hot surfaces can make them rough as well. Burns from asphalt.. etc. Though I know it's not that hot in MA this time of year... could be humidity levels dropping..

Also remember could just be genetics.. some people have dry skin.. some dogs have rough pads/dry skin..
Jill Rakin CPDT-KA
"DAWN" U-CH Canami's Age of Aquarius CD RE AX OAJ NF CGC/TDI (1/3 AXJ, 1/5 U-GRCH, MACH pt'd)
"KAYLEE" U-CH Canami's Protector of Serenity (AKC major Pt'd)
"LEIA" Sorella's Rebel Princess (UKC pt'd)
"LUKE"Canami Sorella's A New Hope RN
StalkerBlueDog
My dog can kick your sheep's ass

Postby katiek0417 » December 1st, 2008, 8:13 pm

Poor Teeny!!!!

I know you probably got the Bag Balm by now...but if you can, order this stuff from online:

http://www.healthypetboutique.com/servl ... her/Detail

It's for the nose (and had originally bought it for Cy's poor cracked nose), but I used it on Nemo's paw pads when I first got him (they were raw and ouchy from being in a kennel run)...and it really worked wonders (and it's safe if they lick it off)!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SisMorphine » December 2nd, 2008, 8:36 am

Why did I forget about Bag Balm? Duh!! Ah well. I ended up stopping at my friend's store on the way to training and spending a buttload of $$ on this other stuff, Healing Balm, or something like that. It's working great so far, definitely worth the $$

Malli wrote:what would be making her feet so dry?

I wish I knew! She's been licking them recently, but definitely only the paw pads and not in between the toes (you know, like when they have allergies and stuff, her feet definitely aren't pink, just dry). I don't know if it's the flooring at work since she plays on it 5 days a week for 8 hours each time, or something else.

There is no salt or sand on the roads yet so I know it's not that. This is definitely weird . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby Malli » December 2nd, 2008, 3:41 pm

is the floor cement or concrete?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby SisMorphine » December 2nd, 2008, 4:12 pm

It's a padded floor, non-absorbant.
SisMorphine

Postby katiek0417 » December 2nd, 2008, 4:16 pm

what is the padded flooring covered with?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SisMorphine » December 2nd, 2008, 4:32 pm

Ummm . . . I have no clue. You're asking to many questions. LOL!

The flooring is called Tuflex I believe.

But none of our foster dogs have ever had any dry or cracked paws on it, and they live here 24/7. It's a mystery :|
SisMorphine

Postby Malli » December 3rd, 2008, 4:58 am

hmm... it would have made sense if it was cement, that can be very drying.

Are they salting roads and paths where you are yet?
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby SisMorphine » December 3rd, 2008, 8:43 am

Malli wrote:hmm... it would have made sense if it was cement, that can be very drying.

Are they salting roads and paths where you are yet?

Nope. No salting or sanding yet. Which is why this is so incredibly weird.
SisMorphine

Postby Malli » December 3rd, 2008, 4:50 pm

:| I got nothin'
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 3rd, 2008, 5:09 pm

She's just a delicate little flower.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby SisMorphine » December 3rd, 2008, 5:28 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:She's just a delicate little flower.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! :spit:
SisMorphine

Return to Nutrition & Health