Traveling with your dogs?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby msvette2u » April 12th, 2006, 10:52 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:For any trip I hook Inara's harness up to a seat belt so she'll be safe and can't try to climb in my lap. I'm envious of all of you with cars/SUV's big enough to fit crates in! Only way her crate is going in mine is disassembled! :wink:

That's why our last two vehicles were pickups. I didn't like the rollover rates on the SUV's so we got a Chev. in 2003, and this last year we ended up with a Ford but it has a shorter bed.
We need a shorter canopy now, to fit it, so we can stack the crates up with our belongings. The Chev fit all the crates then we put our stuff on top of the crates. The side windows open to give them fresh air, it was very nice to travel with.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby concreterose » April 12th, 2006, 11:12 am

mnp13 wrote:I have an Outback Sport, the only way I can fit crates is if I have the seats folded down so the back area is completely flat. I can fit two medium sized crates (for the boys) in there in a T, with enough room for Ruby to ride next to the front one.

That's pretty much what I would have to do (fold the seats down) if I want to set up her crate in the car. Really don't want to go through all that if I don't have to. Is the outback sport smaller than the the traditional outback(I have the ll bean edition).
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 12th, 2006, 11:45 am

The Outback Sport is the Impreza body, which is considerably smaller than the Legacy body that you have.

I have to put the crates in through the tailgate, they won't go in the doors. I'm surprised that you can't fit a Vari Kennel in the back of a Legacy though.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby concreterose » April 12th, 2006, 11:52 am

mnp13 wrote:The Outback Sport is the Impreza body, which is considerably smaller than the Legacy body that you have.

I have to put the crates in through the tailgate, they won't go in the doors. I'm surprised that you can't fit a Vari Kennel in the back of a Legacy though.

I don't have Vari Kennels, I have the wire collapsible ones. A vari probably would fit better.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 12th, 2006, 11:53 am

Vari's fit very well, the wire ones are just too square and bulky.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 12th, 2006, 2:12 pm

I can fit only one wire crate in the back, but two veri kennels. I don't like wire crates for driving anyways, think of all that shrapnal if you got in an accident!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby kymn25 » April 12th, 2006, 8:00 pm

I actually prefer seat belts to crates. I have done a ton of research on dog seat belts. The plastice travel Crates apparently can shatter in accidents, leaving the dog unprotected. I use a good solid harness and then I have a strap that hooks from the seat belt of my SUV to the harness. This allows the dogs to stand up, shift positions, and lay back down but also allows you to controll how much they can move around. Obviously, for those in rescue who transport the crate is a better idea, but I think a wire crate would be best.
Pit Bulls know they are THE face of extinction. All that remains is where they make their final stand. Say NO to BSL!

http://www.Ucarerescue.net
kymn25
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby concreterose » April 12th, 2006, 9:36 pm

That's a good idea, maybe I will hook her harness up to the seatbelt. I'm not going to crate her because Daphne's not going now (YAY!).
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby turtle » April 13th, 2006, 1:27 am

For short trips around town, I use a doggy seat belt, or keep her on a leash sitting on the floor between my legs if my husband drives.

But for long trips I use a Vari Crate. She used to get car sick and it was a lot easier to clean the plastic crate than the car interior. I have an ancient Volvo 240 wagon which holds everything including the kitchen sink so I am lucky there. Fremiet is 50 pounds and she has a size 300 Vari Crate for traveling, it seems to work well.

And here is an interesting link about crate safety in a car crash:

http://www.newworldbasenjis.net/kennelaire.htm

Those old Kennel Aire Commanders are really tough and strong. I had a chance to buy a 30" long one about 7 years ago but I did not need it then. I wish I'd just bought it and put it away!
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby pLaurent » April 13th, 2006, 1:51 pm

I have a seat belt for Chloe, but she's a perfect passenger. She is very serious in the car, and either sits looking out the window or snoozing.

I had a 7 hour drive ahead the day I adopted her, and had to stop and check sometimes to make sure she was actually breathing!
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk