Lasting effects of hormones

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby KJS » November 28th, 2008, 3:43 am

I would like to ask how long on average do the effects of the hormones continue to mess with the dogs brain after the neuter has been done?
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » November 28th, 2008, 6:44 am

I think I recall it being a couple months? But behavioral habits can also come from hormones....
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby madremissy » November 28th, 2008, 12:09 pm

Ok, Gotty was just neutered. What am I supposed to be looking forward to? He is still his goofy self and I haven't seen anything change in him. :|
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby airwalk » November 28th, 2008, 12:17 pm

I can only speak ancedotally not scientifically (for that we need blabs)..but we find that it over the course of 30-90 days hormonal levels reduce.

Missy, sometimes there isn't much outward change, sometimes it's just a general "softening" of the dog.
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » November 28th, 2008, 12:23 pm

airwalk wrote:I can only speak ancedotally not scientifically (for that we need blabs)..but we find that it over the course of 30-90 days hormonal levels reduce.

Missy, sometimes there isn't much outward change, sometimes it's just a general "softening" of the dog.

:doh: Holy Moly is Gotty gets any softer, I don't know what I am going to do with him. :rolleyes2:
The only problem he has is his whole body wagging that knocks you over. He is just one happy go lucky gooberhead.
madremissy

Postby airwalk » November 28th, 2008, 12:24 pm

Well Gotty is a bit on the special end of things...so he may just be Gotty, since he's already a big gooberhead! :D
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » November 28th, 2008, 12:27 pm

Yes he Is "special" alright. lol
madremissy

Postby delilahsmommy » November 28th, 2008, 12:55 pm

lol well i hope Mac calms down a bit.... he is a hyper SPECIAL puppy...
some people just dont get it...
and some shouldnt
delilahsmommy
Loyally Bully

Postby blabsforbullies » November 28th, 2008, 3:42 pm

I have seen research studies that suggest that in some individuals, it can take months for the hormone levels to drop. :rolleyes2:

As far as the behavior changes that you may or may not see, I can't say. :| Some are greatly affected with neutering, and some not at all. :dogRun: If it is a happy hyper dog, it may just take time. I keep waiting for that to happen with my 5.5 year old.... he he he! :wink3:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby Malli » November 28th, 2008, 4:10 pm

madremissy wrote:Ok, Gotty was just neutered. What am I supposed to be looking forward to? He is still his goofy self and I haven't seen anything change in him. :|

look forward to avoiding prostate issues ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby madremissy » November 28th, 2008, 4:14 pm

Malli wrote:
madremissy wrote:Ok, Gotty was just neutered. What am I supposed to be looking forward to? He is still his goofy self and I haven't seen anything change in him. :|

look forward to avoiding prostate issues ;)

:D Yep, Really that is one of the main issues I stressed to Josh why to do it.
madremissy

Postby KJS » November 29th, 2008, 3:58 am

Ok then...is there anywhere I can look to read up on the slightly skewed homone levels that occur on cryptorchid dogs and the subsequent drop in these after neutering?....we are 9 days in now so I'm not expecting much as yet but the stitches are out and I had intended to begin full one on one intros day by day next week as the kids will be in schooll and Add is at work I will have the peace and time to do my stuff safely and calmly...BUT if these serious level of aggro are not going to lessen off anytime soon my job is then much the harder :sad2:
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby BullyLady » November 29th, 2008, 4:07 am

KJS wrote:Ok then...is there anywhere I can look to read up on the slightly skewed homone levels that occur on cryptorchid dogs and the subsequent drop in these after neutering?....we are 9 days in now so I'm not expecting much as yet but the stitches are out and I had intended to begin full one on one intros day by day next week as the kids will be in schooll and Add is at work I will have the peace and time to do my stuff safely and calmly...BUT if these serious level of aggro are not going to lessen off anytime soon my job is then much the harder :sad2:

I would imagine it's the same as regular neuters, six to eight weeks or so is my understanding.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby blabsforbullies » November 29th, 2008, 12:49 pm

I's say it is too soon to tell what effects, if any, the neutering has on his aggression issues. It is generally a slow process, and as mentioned above, it can take months. :neutral: That is, assuming, that the aggression is related to testosterone levels, which it may not be. :rolleyes2:

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby KJS » November 29th, 2008, 1:37 pm

That is, assuming, that the aggression is related to testosterone levels, which it may not be. :rolleyes2:

Would you care to elaborate?
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » November 29th, 2008, 1:47 pm

I'm pretty sure she means that the aggression could possibly be JUST dog aggression, fear, or anything else and possibly not at all related to the levels of testosterone that may still be present.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby blabsforbullies » November 29th, 2008, 2:09 pm

Jenn wrote:I'm pretty sure she means that the aggression could possibly be JUST dog aggression, fear, or anything else and possibly not at all related to the levels of testosterone that may still be present.

Exactly! :D Or even a learned behavior that may have started as a testosterone issue, but now is more of a habit, so to speak. Just other possibilities. :| Either way, I wouldn't give up on the neutering being of some help. :mrgreen: I think it may take some time, that's all. 8)

I hope it works out. I do wish the best to you and your boy! :wink2:

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby airwalk » November 29th, 2008, 4:18 pm

K, just wondering..you said at his last home he was the bottom of the pack boy - with his coming to live with you his pack dynamics have changed.

Is it possible he is trying to establish himself as higher in the pack order off the bat and thinks this is the time since the pack dynamics for him have changed so dramatically??
airwalk
I live here

Postby KJS » November 30th, 2008, 5:38 am

Everything is possible I suppose :| ...in the previous place he was not just bottom he was the whipping boy..and thats HARD to see that happen to a Bull :( ...strangely but gladly enough he seems to have no other major issues...I have worked on "in your box" and "here" and "sit" and the all important "NO"...if put outside he will happily go for 1's and 2's no problem and he has shown only interest and excitement for the kids as yet..you can place his food in the large crate without being rammed and you can take the bowl away easily too...

He has been out with possibly my most non-offensive smallish dog of all, Blade ,this a.m. ...only for a few minutes and while he did not growl or snarl at him he did follow him( and his butt) around the point of madness :crazy2: ..poor Blade is a good natured soul but bless him if he wants to sit on his butt you should let him Butch :rolleyes2:

although he will not get to be very high in the pack here since it is well established and works well for us all...I can however assure you he will not be picked on.. thats not going to happen to him any more! no matter what it takes ...but on the other hand he can not turn that around and be the one thats doing the Bullying ...no pun intended...any and all advice will be appreciated
KJS
Supremely Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health