Dog Licenses

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 12th, 2006, 11:14 am

Since Inara is coming up on her 6 month birthday, it'll be time to get her licensed. Are your puppers registered as APBT's, or something else? I'm wondering if I should register her as a boxer mix??? We have statewide BSL (not that I follow it - bad mom!), and I'm not overly worried about Hinckley getting strict, but I don't know if I want to take the chance.
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » April 12th, 2006, 11:20 am

License her however she is labeled at the vet, if there is a question, your vet will be high on the list of references they may check on the breed.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » April 12th, 2006, 11:37 am

If there is BSL in you area or even a threat of it I would label her anything other than pit bull.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SisMorphine » April 12th, 2006, 11:53 am

Wally's labelled as a Greyhound.
:wink3:

But in the town I'm in now, if I were to ever get a pit, she would be registered as a pit because I feel that there isn't any worry of BSL rearing it's ugly head in these parts. People are too worried about $$$$$$ to be worried about breeds.

I did a report two years ago and needed to get the dog lists from three surrounding towns. I found less than a dozen registered pits or pit mixes. In fact, I found some dogs registered at lab mixes or boxer mixes that I KNOW were pits. Again, in this area it isn't an issue. I have met very few people who have had a HUGE problem with my foster dogs. But I would personally be truthful because just in case there ever IS an incident you don't want to get screwed for lying to the town.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » April 12th, 2006, 11:54 am

They may be lieing due to Homeowners / Renter's insurance.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » April 12th, 2006, 11:54 am

Everyone will have a different opinion on this, I'm sure.

Mine are both licensed a APBT's.

My logic is that hiding my breed adds to the perception that they are dangerous. I refuse to call them anything other then what they are.

If BSL comes to my city or county I will fight. If I lose then I will move. As simple a that. :|

If you call it anything other then pit bull it does not mean you will be safe. A lot of places (ONT) says anything that looks like a pit bull. :rolleyes2:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Maryellen » April 12th, 2006, 11:56 am

i have rufus as a apbt mix,cause thats what he is.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » April 12th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Riggs is licensed as an Am Staff, Ruby as an 'other mixed breed' because the NYS license forms are based on the AKC and neither Pit Bull nor Am. Bulldog are listed as breeds.

They have 10 different mixes listed, and none are Pit Bull mixes.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Purple » April 12th, 2006, 12:35 pm

So far, no BSL in PA, so I list mine as APBT and EBT.
Purple
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 12th, 2006, 12:45 pm

Technically I'm supposed to have $100K insurance - do they check for that when you go to get their licenses? I guess I'll register her as an APBT 'cause that's what she is at the vet.
pitbullmamaliz

Postby Maryellen » April 12th, 2006, 12:49 pm

if you are supposed to have the insurance, i would get it so that they cant take inara away from you. you dont want that to happen, so get the insurance asap. if you have a hard time finding a company to insure her here is one:

http://www.primeis.com/product_lines/personal_lines.php
Maryellen
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 12th, 2006, 12:51 pm

Actually, they wouldn't be able to take her away w/o proving her vicious first. In Ohio v Cowan the Ohio Supreme Court decided it was unconstitutional to require extra insurance w/o proving the dog vicious, so now you have a chance to argue it.
On the other hand, does anybody have the extra insurance? How much does it cost?
pitbullmamaliz

Postby rockermom » April 12th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Do you have to get a dog liscense? I thought it was like optional. What if your dog came from a shelter as a mix. Do you just put mixed breed?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » April 12th, 2006, 1:11 pm

licenses are mandatory. not everyone gets them though.

i would never take the chance with my dogs life , if i have to get insurance i would. or move.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » April 12th, 2006, 1:25 pm

houlabulla? wrote:Do you have to get a dog liscense? I thought it was like optional. What if your dog came from a shelter as a mix. Do you just put mixed breed?

Check your state laws.

If you are ever stopped by a cop or animal control and you don't have a license you may get a ticket. I just sent in Riggs' license paperwork. I am just about positive I will get animal control called on me when I start pulling Riggs because I will be in public areas.

If your dog is a mix, you can usually list them as a mix. NY has a list of breeds to pick from and a list of mixes to pick from. If your dog is from a shelter (i.e. no papers) then your dog is a mix in my opinion.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenn » April 12th, 2006, 1:34 pm

Well I may seem like an idiot, but here goes anyway! :wink:

What is a license for? How much does it typically cost? Who is is that requires you have this for the dog, the city where you live? Do you have to carry it around when your dog is with you? :?

I'm in a very country town, dogs aren't even fenced much less leashed or have a license, so truly I have no clue.
Jenn
undecided

Postby Maryellen » April 12th, 2006, 1:38 pm

dog licenses are so that the town can keep track of how many dogs are there.. hahahaaa... not everyone licenses their dogs, and if there is only one ACO it will be hard to crackdown on everyone.

license costs range from$4-22 depending on the town, if the dog is spayed/neutered its not as much as a intact dog.

the license is a tag that goes on the dogs collar along with the rabies tag and any other ID you have.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » April 12th, 2006, 1:42 pm

In NY it is state law, though you send in the paperwork and fee to the local town/county/city clerk

technically, yes, you are supposed to that the tag with your dog. If you get a ticket though, you just bring the tag with you to court and they usually dismiss the ticket.

NY has fees and Rochester has fees. They depend on whether your dog is spayed/neutered or not. It was $8 for Ruby and $26 for Riggs.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Purple » April 12th, 2006, 1:42 pm

A license here is $6. Occasionally they have been known to go door to door, checking dogs for licenses.
Purple
I live here

Postby girlie » April 12th, 2006, 1:47 pm

It was $1 where i am, there was no option on what type of dog my girl was, the vet filled out the paperwork when she got her shots......i knew nothing about her being registered until i picked her up from an appointment one day and they gave me a paper with "PIT BULL" written really big on the top, when i asked about it they said she needed to be registered with the county.

Jenn it might be the same where you are.....i'm in a little hillbilly town in the hills.
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk