OK, guys, let me preface this post with the statement "This is the toughest decision we've ever been faced with". I think I could make the decision about myself easier than trying to make the right one for Trouble.
The consultation was much as we expected. After reading well into the night, I don't think either of us learned anything we didn't already know. This vet is as upbeat as he could possibly be in this situation. He isn't a big advocate of chest x-ray, as it only tells the obvious. It can't tell whether or not something is developing. He is, however, a big advocate of amputation, even given Trouble's heaviness in the upper body which can cause complications. He, like Dr Blabs, indicates time is of the essence.
We left the office at 5:30 with the following options
1) leave it as is, medicate for pain, and wait for the end
2) chest & leg x-rays in the morning followed by amputation if the chest is clear
3) keep our Monday appointment with Gulf Coast Veterinary Center which we know are advocates of chemo and radiation as well as amputation
We so want to do what is best for her, and not make a decision that keeps her here just for us. We are both afraid if we leave her as is and medicate she will fracture the bone, as well as not have much quality of life being on pain meds all the time. And of course there is also knowing at some point the meds will stop working and she will suffer.
We really don't want to do the chemo/radiation thing having to drive 75 one way for treatment. That only leaves us with the amputation, and hope that it will stop the spread before it begins.
And just because I need to say it one more time, THIS SUCKS
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org
Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie