What the heck?!

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby concreterose » April 11th, 2006, 2:53 pm

Forgive me if this is an inappropriate topic for this board and please delete if necessary, but I found this VERY disturbing snippet on DJ's site.
while Noah's Wish sent dogs into a living hell in Oregon with a "rescuer" who kept them in the back of a stolen U-Haul until their condition was so poor most had to be taken to an emergency clinic and given life support and transfusions.

Has anybody heard anything about what happened with these dogs? Are they ok? Where did they go?
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » April 11th, 2006, 2:56 pm

This is the first time I'd heard this. Weird.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby cheekymunkee » April 11th, 2006, 2:57 pm

They are doing well now & are back with Noah's Wish.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » April 11th, 2006, 3:00 pm

:D yes they are all doing well.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby concreterose » April 11th, 2006, 3:12 pm

Thank God! Hearing about any animal suffering or dying violently really wrecks my day. I get choked up when I see dead cats, squirrels, on the side of the road. It can be a pain sometimes feeling like that (there's a LOT of roadkill around here) :(
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby pocketpit » April 11th, 2006, 3:28 pm

While she's correct that the dogs were sent to someone inapproriate, she's incorrect once again in her statements.
Two of the dogs were sent to an emergency facility though one or two more may have gone to another vet. Yes they were in bad shape (I should know, I treated them) but they did not require transfusions. It was an initial concern that it might be a possibility with one of the dogs but that turned out to not be the case.
The dogs were seriously wronged but people should at least get their facts straight.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 11th, 2006, 3:31 pm

pocketpit wrote:While she's correct that the dogs were sent to someone inapproriate, she's incorrect once again in her statements.
Two of the dogs were sent to an emergency facility though one or two more may have gone to another vet. Yes they were in bad shape (I should know, I treated them) but they did not require transfusions. It was an initial concern that it might be a possibility with one of the dogs but that turned out to not be the case.
The dogs were seriously wronged but people should at least get their facts straight.

Exactly. And thank you for clearing that up.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » April 11th, 2006, 3:58 pm

pocketpit wrote:While she's correct that the dogs were sent to someone inapproriate, she's incorrect once again in her statements.

Two of the dogs involved came from Eastern WA (my shelter). I regret immensely sending them there. One of them did get left in the back of a U-haul that was not being paid for. I can only hope the other is safe now. I have no clue what has happened to him.
Here's info & photos for you. You decide. I have the original vet report done on "Muckie", the day after I got him back, and other info if you want to know more, PM me.
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... df34d297e7
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby msvette2u » April 11th, 2006, 4:01 pm

msvette2u
I live here

Postby msvette2u » April 11th, 2006, 4:18 pm

http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/OR63.html

Read Romeo's story. He's another Katrina dog.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby pocketpit » April 11th, 2006, 4:23 pm

Please understand that I'm not supporting or defending this rescuer. Merely pointing out inconsitencies in DJ's quote from her website.
Quote:
while Noah's Wish sent dogs into a living hell in Oregon with a "rescuer" who kept them in the back of a stolen U-Haul until their condition was so poor most had to be taken to an emergency clinic and given life support and transfusions.

Most were not taken to an emergency clinic (Harley and Elvin were) though many did require vet care like heart worm treatment and antibiotics and most were give check ups due to their neglected and starved state.
No one was put on life support though Harley and Elvin certainly required aggressive fluid therapy for the first 24 hours. Their catheters were pulled after that due to their rapid response to being rehydrated and no one was given a blood transfusion.

When we are talking about possible pending lawsuits or legal action (at one point that was discussed but I have no idea where it went from there) one should be very careful to get their statements correct and avoid spreading untruths. DJ has a way of embellishing stories. This is the second time I've seen it happen with dogs she had little to nothing to do with in the first place.
Once again I am in no way, shape or form, standing up for them. What they did was despicable and those poor dogs paid dearly for it. Thankfully there were many caring people that stepped in and stopped the madness.
Poor little Muckie. Is Solar the dog you can't find?
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 11th, 2006, 4:26 pm

pocketpit wrote:Please understand that I'm not supporting or defending this rescuer. Merely pointing out inconsitencies in DJ's quote from her website.
Quote:

Most were not taken to an emergency clinic (Harley and Elvin were) though many did require vet care like heart worm treatment and antibiotics and most were give check ups due to their neglected and starved state.
No one was put on life support though Harley and Elvin certainly required aggressive fluid therapy for the first 24 hours. Their catheters were pulled after that due to their rapid response to being rehydrated and no one was given a blood transfusion.

When we are talking about possible pending lawsuits or legal action (at one point that was discussed but I have no idea where it went from there) one should be very careful to get their statements correct and avoid spreading untruths. DJ has a way of embellishing stories. This is the second time I've seen it happen with dogs she had little to nothing to do with in the first place.
Once again I am in no way, shape or form, standing up for them. What they did was despicable and those poor dogs paid dearly for it. Thankfully there were many caring people that stepped in and stopped the madness.

So true, there were ENOUGH lies & untruths flying around with out adding more just for the sake of drama. What happened was horrible enough, no need to embellish.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » April 11th, 2006, 4:43 pm

pocketpit wrote: Thankfully there were many caring people that stepped in and stopped the madness.

Although at the time people thought it was a "personality conflict"!! Trust me...it wasn't drama. I literally could not sleep at night, knowing that the dog I had entrusted to these people was with them and being starved and neglected.

Yes Solar is the one we can't locate. I picked up Muckie in Seattle - he's doing much, much better and he's with Small Time in The Dalles as well. I like to think Solar is doing OK somewhere...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby kayesmith » April 11th, 2006, 4:55 pm

I am one rescue who took four dogs from this irresponsible and cruel 'rescue.' I have the vet records that Pocket Pit talks about. The only thing that you can say, is that yes, there was no transfusion. Other than that the dogs were treated horribly, and with malice. I have filed a formal complaint with Mult County Animal Control. It is my opinion that neglect and abuse charges should be filled. It is also my opinion that both people should be in jail for what they did. Missy an elderly Shih Tzu that they pulled from Clackamas County Animal Control was about 12 years old. She lived in filth, and was very ill when we got her. Her crate had an old shirt and dog pooh on it when we took custody of her. I was supposed to pass her to a foster home in Gresham Oregon. I was never given a name or address of this 'supposed' foster home. My vet upon seeing her for the first time thought she would die anytime. She was starved, and dehydrated. Her first month in MY wonderful foster home, she gained over one pound. Missy needed teeth pulled as well. She is on special food and is now living in a wonderful new home. We adopted Missy out as soon as we got her totally vetted. We also took in Muckie aka Santos. Muckie was very thin, and had urine burns on his little body. His face had scars on wounds on them that were never treated even though 'she' had promised him vet care, he never saw a vet. He was in their care for a month. He was never neutered either. Muckie weighed 36lbs when we got him, he is a pocket pit, but even that is too thin. He now weighs almost 50lbs. He gained seven pounds the first week we had him. Muckie has been neutered and his staph infection on his face has been treated. The hair that was missing on his face has now grown back the awful cough that he had while in her care is now gone as well. Funny how good vet care, love, and quality food can make a difference. You would think this rescue would know that wouldn't you? Next came Romeo, a delightful Pit mix from Katrina. Romeo was in their care for two months. He was never taken to the vet and he suffered from heart worms. He was never treated for these, or neutered. Romeo put on 14lbs in one week in our care. He is now neutered, and has had his first round of heart worm treatment. He has been adopted by a wonderful Pit experience home. He sleeps with his new parents in their bed; he can go to work with dad. We adopted in out in under two months in our care. Last and finally came JD. JD was a Clackamas County Animal Control Dog. He was exposed like the rest of them to extended crating, and the cold. He was very thin when he was returned to Clackamas County Animal Control. He was dumped back at Clackamas the same week end that she dumped the Katrina dogs with Violet. JD is now living in Mississippi. He was adopted by a paralegal. We had a rescue in that area do a home check and we required his new mom to sign up for personal obedience training with him BEFORE we allowed him to fly anywhere. We had JD in our care for two weeks before he was adopted. I saw these five remaining Katrina dogs in person on February 10th when they made their trip back to California. There is no excuse at all for what happened. I will not entertain anyone’s explanation for what we saw either. Short of jail time I will not be happy till they have to answer for what they did. These dogs deserved better than what they got. Feel free to contact me personally if you have any questions. I am more than willing to answer them with what I know.
kayesmith
Just Whelped

Postby concreterose » April 11th, 2006, 4:56 pm

Well it's good to hear that they received proper vetting. :(
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby msvette2u » April 11th, 2006, 5:12 pm

concreterose wrote:Well it's good to hear that they received proper vetting. :(

It IS a relief to know they are finally out of that and in good care.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby pocketpit » April 11th, 2006, 5:16 pm

I too have had my own personal experiences with foster dogs recieved from them and agree that after they need to be prosecuted. I wish I had more hard evidence that I could offer to help the cause but sadly the pictures I had of my fosters when they arrived are no more and at the time other than my own sneaking suspicions I had no idea what was going on so I have no in depth vet records that would be of any use either. Since Harley and Elvin left the clinic I've been out of the loop on what's happening other than an occasional note from another person more involved. I'm so glad to hear that the effort to bring their situation to light and have something done about it is still in full swing!!
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby msvette2u » April 11th, 2006, 5:29 pm

It is my opinion that these things should have been brought to light sooner. I know that it seems, often, like "gossip" but if I'd had a suspicion things were wrong, I'd never have sent dogs there. Sometimes death would seem merciful compared to what these animals have to live through.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 11th, 2006, 5:33 pm

True, but the pm I received sounded more like a "not enough money" problem rather than a "hey look at this" problem. Had it been worded differently I would have paid MUCH more attention to it than I did. Nothing at all was mentioned about the condition of the dogs, but then again at THAT time the dogs may have been alright. I *think they had just arrived. Just a very bad situation all the way around & it shows what greed & pride will do to a person

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby kayesmith » April 11th, 2006, 5:49 pm

Those that tried to speak got beat up very badly. It was never about drama or rumor there were numerous people that knew the truth, but it was never allowed to be spoken about. I compared it to the children’s fable about the king that rode through town naked thinking he was wearing a robe when in truth he was naked; but everyone was afraid to tell him he was 'naked.' This is what happened with these two. The more people spoke and conversed, the more was found out. Calls were coming to us from back east for the truth. People knew; but every attempt to relay the truth was eliminated. In the end I don't think anyone could believe that they could be so cruel. I will give her this, and she admits it, she is a wonderful liar. They committed acts of cruelty and fraud. Money donated was not used for mortgage, or kennels. Materials, dog houses, etc all went to waste.
kayesmith
Just Whelped

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk