Capital Region Weight Pull

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby Leslie H » November 9th, 2008, 12:21 am

Yeah, our track in MA sucked totally. It happens sometimes. That's why you really can't compare things from track to track. Soleil's pulled anywhere from about 600 to 2000 on wheels, about 400-3,000 on rails. Even day to day things vary. I've never pulled in heavy rain. I don't think I could persuade Soleil to do it. At least you got a qualifying leg. Does Starbuck pull in your class? He's an excellent dog.
Hopefully Sunday will be nicer. The carpet will probably still be soaked. We wrecked our club's carpet in MA, which was expensive.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby maberi » November 9th, 2008, 7:02 pm

Sunday was basically a repeat of Saturday minus the horrible weather. A lot more dogs were there (Missy and her crew showed up).

Yes Starbuck was there alright. He beat Kayden out of the 3rd place spot on Sat. by 1 sec. >(

Kayden qualified both days and brought home 2 ribbons. Not too shabby for only his 2nd pull

Leslie H wrote:Yeah, our track in MA sucked totally. It happens sometimes. That's why you really can't compare things from track to track. Soleil's pulled anywhere from about 600 to 2000 on wheels, about 400-3,000 on rails. Even day to day things vary. I've never pulled in heavy rain. I don't think I could persuade Soleil to do it. At least you got a qualifying leg. Does Starbuck pull in your class? He's an excellent dog.
Hopefully Sunday will be nicer. The carpet will probably still be soaked. We wrecked our club's carpet in MA, which was expensive.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Jenn » November 9th, 2008, 7:11 pm

Congrats! :)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby ellie@ny » November 9th, 2008, 7:13 pm

Congrats on the 2 qualifying legs!!! :)
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby maberi » November 9th, 2008, 7:25 pm

PS - There was a woman there with a 10 yr old Samoyed who hadn't pulled in 2 years and she took first both days in the 60 lb class. This dog was walking through weights that Starbuck was struggling with

I pray I don't see them again
maberi

Postby mnp13 » November 9th, 2008, 7:45 pm

Nice work!!!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 9th, 2008, 8:21 pm

Congratulations Matt and Kayden!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Leslie H » November 9th, 2008, 9:33 pm

Congrats on Kayden's 2 legs. I'm glad you guys survived.
One of my IWPA pet peeves is that the classes have too big of a spread, and then they're decided by most weight pulled. So you've got a 41 pound dog competing against a 60 pound dog. In theory, the larger dog should always win. So Starbuck is a pretty light dog, he's got an uphill battle. No knocks against the samoyed intended. Missy's little girls at 26-29 pounds may wind up pulling against 40 pound dogs.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby maberi » November 9th, 2008, 9:38 pm

No doubt and poor Dyna was competing against some big dogs today (but of course she took most weight percentage). Kayden weighed in at 50 lbs so he was right around in the middle

I'm always amazed to see the pulling style of sled dogs. Lots of slingshoting and smashing around in the shoot. I couldn't imagine what kind of weight Starbuck could pull if he actually lowered down

Leslie H wrote:Congrats on Kayden's 2 legs. I'm glad you guys survived.
One of my IWPA pet peeves is that the classes have too big of a spread, and then they're decided by most weight pulled. So you've got a 41 pound dog competing against a 60 pound dog. In theory, the larger dog should always win. So Starbuck is a pretty light dog, he's got an uphill battle. No knocks against the samoyed intended. Missy's little girls at 26-29 pounds may wind up pulling against 40 pound dogs.
maberi

Postby Leslie H » November 9th, 2008, 10:09 pm

Once you see a snow pull, you'll see that pulling style is very effective. The sled runners freeze almost instantly, so that banging breaks them out. That's also why you won't see Soleil pulling on snow, because I want her to pull slowly and evenly.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby ellie@ny » November 9th, 2008, 10:17 pm

Leslie H wrote:Once you see a snow pull, you'll see that pulling style is very effective. The sled runners freeze almost instantly, so that banging breaks them out. That's also why you won't see Soleil pulling on snow, because I want her to pull slowly and evenly.

Yes,I actually love to watch the "big" dogs breaking the sled out at the snow pulls.
I can't wait till February... :)
Actually Missy said they're gonna have some winter pulls as well.
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby madremissy » November 9th, 2008, 11:07 pm

Congrats Kayden and Matt, Sounds like Kayden did very well under the conditions.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby maberi » November 10th, 2008, 9:38 am

Leslie H wrote:Once you see a snow pull, you'll see that pulling style is very effective. The sled runners freeze almost instantly, so that banging breaks them out. That's also why you won't see Soleil pulling on snow, because I want her to pull slowly and evenly.

Yep, that is what people were explaining to me there. I just can't imagine it not putting a lot of undue stress on the dogs at the wheeled pulls but I guess those dogs deal with that while pulling sleds.

Kayden and I will be hanging up our harness during the snow pulls (a bit too cold for us)
maberi

Postby airwalk » November 10th, 2008, 12:06 pm

Congrat's Kayden and Matt!
airwalk
I live here

Previous

Return to Sports