My new pet!!

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby SisMorphine » April 11th, 2006, 12:57 pm

Meet Eggy!!!

She's a Luna Moth, native to this area, and apparently just hatched last night/this morning. I have had her cacoon in my office for about 2 weeks now and had forgotten about it until today when I saw her napping on the window.

And I know it's a her because she's already laid eggs. Too bad they're not fertilized :|

I prefer the polythemus (or is it polyphemus . . . I can't remember) moths that I raised 3 years ago in my old apartment. We had 5 cacoons and one day my roommate and I were watching tv and were suddenly bombarded by bats!! Except they weren't bats, just two bat-sized moths. Mad cool. I love moths.

Either way, meet EGGY!!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » April 11th, 2006, 1:17 pm

beautiful. We had one of those at camp last year, it was HUGE.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hoyden » April 11th, 2006, 1:20 pm

At least it's a pretty moth - not one of the grey/brown bleck coloured ones.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 11th, 2006, 2:02 pm

Pretty
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby DemoDick » April 11th, 2006, 2:04 pm

Eggy would look better with a red metal-flake finish.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby msvette2u » April 11th, 2006, 4:05 pm

How beautiful and unique!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby pLaurent » April 11th, 2006, 5:57 pm

Oh, I've had those at my house. What a treat to go outside in the morning and see such beauty right on my house!

I also get lots of these other moths, don't know what they are, but they are pink and yellow like Christmas candy! :D
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SisMorphine » April 11th, 2006, 6:00 pm

DemoDick wrote:Eggy would look better with a red metal-flake finish.

Demo Dick

:spit:

And thanks guys! I really do love moths. I think they are the coolest bug alive. Did you know that most moths don't eat? The only one native to MA that eats is the hummingbird moth, which is also daiurnal . . . and the dork shall stop talking now. Thank you.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby girlie » April 11th, 2006, 6:03 pm

They don't eat?? Explain, i know nothing about moths....so use little words please :D
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby SisMorphine » April 11th, 2006, 9:19 pm

pitcess wrote:They don't eat?? Explain, i know nothing about moths....so use little words please :D

LOL!

Well basically they eat A LOT as little kitty-pillars and save up all that energy to use when they break out of their cacoons has moths. They are in their moth stage only to mate and lay eggs, then they die. The larger the moth the longer the lifespan. Eggy will probably live about 1-2 weeks, as long as Wally doesn't eat her first. He's showing a bit too much interest . . .
SisMorphine

Postby girlie » April 11th, 2006, 9:21 pm

pretty interesting....

Back off Wally Eggy looks like a cool moth.
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby Maryellen » April 11th, 2006, 9:50 pm

she is sooo prettty!!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Purple » April 11th, 2006, 10:02 pm

We got infested with them last summer, it was kinda creepy......
Purple
I live here

Postby Jenn » April 11th, 2006, 11:16 pm

8) I've never seen a moth like that.
Jenn
undecided

Postby DemoDick » April 11th, 2006, 11:57 pm

Are you going to nueter him? How are his hips? Is he titled? You're not going to breed him until he's titled, are you? Is he moth-aggressive?

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Jenn » April 12th, 2006, 12:20 am

DemoDick wrote:Are you going to nueter him? How are his hips? Is he titled? You're not going to breed him until he's titled, are you? Is he moth-aggressive?

Demo Dick

:spit: You didn't ask about breeding age!!
Jenn
undecided

Postby a-bull » April 12th, 2006, 7:19 am

DemoDick wrote:Are you going to nueter him? How are his hips? Is he titled? You're not going to breed him until he's titled, are you? Is he moth-aggressive?

Demo Dick

You, of all people, should know by now that it's all how they're raised . . .
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » April 12th, 2006, 7:51 am

Demo Dick

Well she's human aggressive so I'm definitely gonna breed her so I have a bad-ass moth. I just bought her a chain today and I have an appointment to crop her antennae.
SisMorphine

Postby Purple » April 12th, 2006, 8:22 am

:screamLaugh:
Purple
I live here

Postby Jenn » April 12th, 2006, 8:50 am

SisMorphine wrote:Well she's human aggressive so I'm definitely gonna breed her so I have a bad-fanny moth. I just bought her a chain today and I have an appointment to crop her antennae.

I'd consider you "caught" now! WE know what your up to! What's next? Breeding for wing span? :nono:
Jenn
undecided

Next

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members