UKC Weight Pull Rules

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby maberi » November 3rd, 2008, 11:52 am

I was talking with a new comer to weight pull that had recently been to a UKC weight pull event and they mentioned that the handler does NOT have to be behind the finish line to encourage the dog to pull. Does anyone know if this is true (I looked through the rule book but didn't see anything mentioned about this)?

Not that Kayden could enter a UKC weight pull event, but that seems like a big difference in IWPA which requires the handler to be behind the finish line before they can speak to or motion to the dog. Kayden tends to follow me when I walk away towards the finish line after I set him up in the chute (which is ok) but when the weight gets above 1,000 lbs and he actually has to start working, he sometimes reverts to his jumping behavior because he can't catch right up to me. To curb this I have started having him target my hand as I walk away so he has something to focus on and have been spending a LOT of time working on having him pull as relaxed as possible.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby mnp13 » November 3rd, 2008, 12:16 pm

Unlike IWPA, in UKC as soon as you let go of the dog's collar you can begin to talk to the dog.

You can pull Kayden in UKC, all you need to do is register him as a mixed breed or get a breed specific ILP for him.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maberi » November 3rd, 2008, 12:18 pm

Gotcha, thanks

I didn't realize UKC had ILP or even mixed breed for that matter.
maberi

Postby maberi » November 3rd, 2008, 12:24 pm

BTW - What would the benefit of being registered as purebred vs mixed in UKC? It would just allow us to compete in breed specific competitions?
maberi

Postby mnp13 » November 3rd, 2008, 12:56 pm

In UKC you can register any dog as an AMBOR (American Mixed Breed something or other). If you think your dog is a "purebred" you can send in pictures and have him ILP'd as that breed. I know all ILP dogs have to be fixed, but I'm not sure about AMBOR's.

the only thing that you can't compete in as an AMBOR is conformation.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maberi » November 3rd, 2008, 1:07 pm

Sounds good, thanks for the info

AMBOR sounds like the way to go
maberi

Postby Rolex+Deebo » January 1st, 2009, 4:35 pm

I dont mean to hijack this topic, but I just have one Q, so I dont want to start another one.

Does AKC have a mix-breed ilp type of thing? I want to do some rally with Deebo, but his damn red nose is just not goin to let me. lol
PR Top Line's Inna White Tee CGC ~aka~ ♥Rolex♥
Deebo ~aka~ Slobber Monkey
Scahill's Goddess Of Light CGC TDI ~aka~ Ziva

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Rolex+Deebo
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Sports