Heat

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 10th, 2006, 2:55 pm

Inara is scheduled to get spayed on the 21st, however, they said if she goes into heat we'll have to wait like 7 weeks (3 weeks for the heat to end and then a month after that???)...is there any way to know if she's going to go into heat? I've never had a female dog before...Are there any signs, or do I just look for bleeding? *shudder*
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » April 10th, 2006, 2:56 pm

look for discharge. Can you move the appointment up? Maybe ask to be called in if there is a cancellation?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 10th, 2006, 2:58 pm

I'll check for cancellations, but I think they only do them on Fridays and this was the earliest so far.
pitbullmamaliz

Postby katiek0417 » April 10th, 2006, 4:01 pm

Some dogs don't discharge that much (or keep themselves extremely clean so you never notice).

How old is Inara?

Every dog is different. Sacha had her first heat at 11.5 months. Nisha is 8 months and hasn't had one, yet (Sacha is due the middle of May, and we think that Sacha being in heat might pull Nisha into it).

Are male dogs more interested in her? I noticed that right before Sacha had her first heat the males were much more interested in that area.

Also, look for swelling of the vulva. Normally it is acorn-size, when a dog goes into heat, it becomes, well, VERY noticeable (you can actually see it from the back while they're walking).

If she is licking a lot down there, then she might be trying to keep herself clean.

Again, every dog is different, but every time Sacha goes into heat, all potty training goes out the window. I have heard from several breeders and vets that female dogs have contractions, etc just like people. So, they get crampy. Especially during the first heat, they have no idea what is going on with their bodies....so, they don't know if they have to poop, pee...or what!!!

These are just the signs I notice/noticed in Sacha.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 10th, 2006, 4:10 pm

She's about 6 months old. Not sure if boy dogs are acting more interested - she's all about all dogs and will strain to go play with them. So I have no idea if they're doing the same! Hopefully she'll be a late bloomer, I don't wanna have to deal with a cranky, white, bleeding dog. :wink:
Thanks for the info so far!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby katiek0417 » April 10th, 2006, 4:19 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:She's about 6 months old. Not sure if boy dogs are acting more interested - she's all about all dogs and will strain to go play with them. So I have no idea if they're doing the same! Hopefully she'll be a late bloomer, I don't wanna have to deal with a cranky, white, bleeding dog. :wink:
Thanks for the info so far!

Yeah, cranky, white, bleeding dog: NOT FUN!!!!

I have read (I don't know how true it is) and have been told by my vet that medium/large breed dogs tend to go into heat later. So, ShihTzus, Malteses, etc might go when they're 5 - 6 months old, but medium/large breeds take longer to develop.

Is Inara around other unfixed females alot (like in the same house)?

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 10th, 2006, 4:42 pm

Nope, she's an only dog. She has three feline siblings, but they're all fixed. :wink:
pitbullmamaliz

Postby katiek0417 » April 10th, 2006, 4:45 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Nope, she's an only dog. She has three feline siblings, but they're all fixed. :wink:

Well, the 21st is next Friday...unless she's a really early bloomer, you should be okay...I'm going to knock on wood now (which I don't have an emoticon for)

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 10th, 2006, 6:04 pm

Thanks! :D
pitbullmamaliz

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 10th, 2006, 6:34 pm

All my girls had there first heat at just under six months. The average is between 6 months to a year for the first heat cycle. It can last 14-28 days on average

Usually the vulva swells, there is discharge, they often lick themselves a lot. Though some have silent heat cycles which you wouldn't notice.

If you even think she is in heat keep her away from other dogs as some females also get moody during their heat cycles while others are complete tramps LOL

Also she certainly can be fixed if she happens to go into heat before her date. Your vet just chooses not to do it.
Last edited by Patch O' Pits on April 11th, 2006, 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 10th, 2006, 7:28 pm

Patch, you left out the number of months in which your girls generally go into heat!
And why would a vet choose to not spay during a heat? The vet tech said we have to wait a month afterwards due to them bleeding more easily - is that why?
pitbullmamaliz

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 10th, 2006, 9:45 pm

I took Tess in, and they wouldn't spay her because she had only been out of heat 2 weeks. Her first heat was 16 months. She is still swollen in her teats, but her back end is back to normal. My friend thought she might be going through a false pregnancy. :| We do not have a fenced yard, and she is either on leash or in the house, so I cannot imagine that she could be pregnant, unless she is going to give birth to the next messiah or Jack spontaniously grew some balls. :wink:

I will take her in after next week and they can spay her either way, swollen or not. I feel like we have a time bomb here, with an unspayed dog, even given the careful watch she is under. I have never had an unspeutered animal before, and I do not like it.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 10th, 2006, 9:47 pm

Immaculate puppy conception.

:rock:
pitbullmamaliz

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 11th, 2006, 10:23 am

dogcrazyjen wrote:I took Tess in, and they wouldn't spay her because she had only been out of heat 2 weeks. Her first heat was 16 months. She is still swollen in her teats, but her back end is back to normal. My friend thought she might be going through a false pregnancy. :| We do not have a fenced yard, and she is either on leash or in the house, so I cannot imagine that she could be pregnant, unless she is going to give birth to the next messiah or Jack spontaniously grew some balls. :wink:

False pregnancies are quite common

pitbullmamaliz

Patch, you left out the number of months in which your girls generally go into heat!
And why would a vet choose to not spay during a heat? The vet tech said we have to wait a month afterwards due to them bleeding more easily - is that why?

ooopps LOL they were all just under 6 months

As to why exactly some choose not to.... I've heard a couple of different answers but honestly don't know for sure. I heard there may be more bleeding and is also more expensive

However, I was told it is OK to spay during a heat and also while pregnant to abort and have never heard anything different except for on the forums
http://www.vospca.org/archive/spayneut.html
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby mnp13 » April 11th, 2006, 11:04 am

Spay / aborts can be done up to a week before birth, as far as a vet told me. After that, she said the puppies can live on their own and the vet would have to actually put down each puppy.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » April 11th, 2006, 12:38 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:I took Tess in, and they wouldn't spay her because she had only been out of heat 2 weeks. Her first heat was 16 months. She is still swollen in her teats, but her back end is back to normal. My friend thought she might be going through a false pregnancy. :| We do not have a fenced yard, and she is either on leash or in the house, so I cannot imagine that she could be pregnant, unless she is going to give birth to the next messiah or Jack spontaniously grew some balls. :wink:

Sacha had a false pregnancy to the point that she started nesting. She would also hold stuffed toys to her teats to try to nurse them....she even tried with the cat (he was offended)...

Patch O' Pits wrote:As to why exactly some choose not to.... I've heard a couple of different answers but honestly don't know for sure. I heard there may be more bleeding and is also more expensive

I had to get two of my cats spayed when they were in heat (anyone who has had to listen to a cat in heat will understand why I chose to do this during as opposed to after their heat cycle). I was told by my vet that the reason it costs more is because it is a more complicated procedure in that there was more blood (due to more blood vessels having to be tied off)....I don't know how similar it is in dogs...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SisMorphine » April 11th, 2006, 12:44 pm

katiek0417 wrote:I had to get two of my cats spayed when they were in heat (anyone who has had to listen to a cat in heat will understand why I chose to do this during as opposed to after their heat cycle). I was told by my vet that the reason it costs more is because it is a more complicated procedure in that there was more blood (due to more blood vessels having to be tied off)....I don't know how similar it is in dogs...

It is the same in dogs.

Because the uterus is enlarged, more vessels are opened up. This makes it an all together more difficult surgery to perform, which is why some vets will wait until they are done to spay.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » April 11th, 2006, 1:00 pm

Ruby had Pyometra (she was literally a day from death) when she was spayed. It cost a fortune because of all of the infection and the problems that come with a Pyometra surgery. The uteris can be so weak that it ruptures when the vet is handling it, then you have a belly cavity full of pus.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Magnolia618 » April 12th, 2006, 1:41 am

oooh Michelle, did they let you see what her uterus looked like?!

I used to help one of the vets at the shelter and I assisted in a pyometra spay. It was craaaazy. The uterus looked like friggins sausages! :shock:

We also did a cat that was so pregnant, one of the kittens was already in the birth canal. The vet had to go in and get it out. There were only three kittens and they had to be euthanized.

Layla went in for her spay just as her heat was ending. I had to pay $20 extra, but everything worked out fine.
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 12th, 2006, 8:50 am

Yeah, only another week and a half - I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!
pitbullmamaliz

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health