=D.......weight pull???

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby celeste » October 25th, 2008, 10:00 pm

so iv been training with nikki for over a year now and iv taught her a few diffrent things so far she knows

sit
down
stay
dead
speak
over
mine
NOO (of course =D)
roll over
wait
long down stay
long down sit
shake a paw
And she been in agility so she knows some of that stuff too =D

i wanna teach her to go into weight pull as well...but im not sure how to to get started and what im gonna need,or how much the harness and any other things are gonna cost
celeste
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » October 25th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Oh, Leslie!!! :wink:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby celeste » October 25th, 2008, 10:10 pm

????????? what lol
celeste
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » October 25th, 2008, 10:12 pm

Leslie is our resident weight pull expert. I PMd her, so hopefully she'll be by soon to give you some pointers. :D
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby celeste » October 25th, 2008, 10:13 pm

ooooooooo Lol i feel so dumb sometimes :D
celeste
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » October 25th, 2008, 10:16 pm

Naaaaah, not at all. :wink:

In the meantime, check through the sports section here: viewforum.php?f=20

LOTS of info!
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby celeste » October 25th, 2008, 10:25 pm

thanks...i found a good one with lots of info
but i still need to know prices :(
celeste
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » October 25th, 2008, 10:27 pm

Prices on what? :?
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby celeste » October 25th, 2008, 10:28 pm

harnesses.......but i looked it up and the ones i saw ranged from 50 to 70 bucks
(hopefully i get a job soon)lol
celeste
Just Whelped

Postby Leslie H » October 25th, 2008, 10:38 pm

The first thing you'll need is a correctly fitted harness. I can PM you an address for Missy Villines. She's in Missouri, but she makes the best harnesses. Her prices are comparable w/other manufacturers.
Other than that, all you need to start out are some lengths of chain, that your dog will drag, and a nice grassy place to work your dog.
Believe it or not, you'll be teaching your dog to pull calmly, evenly, and patiently. It's not about running down the track, because when the weight gets heavy, your dog needs to be willing to work slowly.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby celeste » October 26th, 2008, 12:14 am

yeah that makes sense..thanks
i was also wondering if you could use a normal harness untill i get a proper one(only light weights)
because if its going to hurt her i wont do it :?
celeste
Just Whelped

Postby Leslie H » October 26th, 2008, 9:46 am

I would not use a regular harness, I would wait. Your dog's first experiences form their foundation, that you will build upon. Harnesses that don't fit correctly can make a dog feel uncomfortable when pulling, and may interfere with the dog's form and style when pulling. A dog w/correct form and style is going to be able to pull more weight than one who is less correct, most times.
If you just wanted to put a harness on the dog, w/out weight, to get her used to the feel of a harness, that's fine.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby furever_pit » October 29th, 2008, 9:02 pm

+1 on Missy's harnesses. I got one a few months ago and while I don't remember exactly how much it was it wasn't too much. She does great work and was very very helpful with me as I tried to figure out how I was supposed to be measuring my dog. :oops: The harness is also extremely comfortable for Dylan and I've not once seen any signs of irritation.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby celeste » October 29th, 2008, 9:46 pm

thanks for the advice =D
celeste
Just Whelped

Return to Training & Behavior